Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of hiring Tong what should we see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all the interesting reading on this forum i am thinking of hiring Tong for the day in Nov.
I have been to BKK twice before and the BF once and have seen some of the main major sights. so what would be the best use of her time.
Is it worth going to the floating market? how about a klong tour(or would that be best unguided?) did i read somewhere that she arranged merit making with the monks? would it be useful to go round China town with her? any advice would be greatly appreciated. (we dont like animal, flower or snake farms)
Happy for it to be a full day, just want to get to the heart of BKK.

Jane
x
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Thanx Jane for asking that question. I have scheduled Tong for 2 days in January, but unlike you I have never been to Thailand before. Tong seems to want to take me to floating market for part of one of the days, but most of the good folks here think the time would be better spent all in Bangkok proper. If anyone can help Jane and probably in doing so, help me as well, it would be much appreciated. What should one's itinerary be for 2 days with a guide and by that - what exactly should not be missed and how should it be scheduled in 2 short days? And would a klong tour be an adequate substitute for the floating market? Sorry Jane - not meaning to hijack your post. Hopefully the great folks here will be able to help us both. By the way, Tong said that she would arrange making merit with the monks for me, so I'm sure she'll have no problem accomodating you there.
Warmest Regards
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM

The klong tour and the floating market are different. I'm not a fan of the floating market, but some here are. The klong tour is easily arranged on your own. There's a general route they follow, your boatman will not speak English, but the tour is one of seeing rather than explaining.

From the accounts on this board, my sense is that Tong's forte is the arrangement of merit-making, determining auspicious dates for weddings or blessing by monks, and other introductions to Buddhist practice. If I were going to use her, I'd stay in Bangkok, do some merit-making, have her take me to some local places to eat, etc.

Do a search on Tong and you'll find a number of reports about people's experiences with her.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hi, I have booked Tong for a day in December and have been throwing suggestions back and forth over the past few months. I am the same, in the sense of not wanting to do the usual floating markets etc.. We are thinking of using her for the following:

Tour of Grand Palace & Wat Po - since she is a registered tour guide she can explain it all and we dont have to deal with all the scams on the outside of the palace.

Muay Thai Boxing match at one of the big staduims - thought it would be easier for her to arrange the tickets and get us there - will do this at end of day

Shopping/Markets/food - we are going to use Tong mainly to have a look around and do some shopping & eat some of the local food stalls.

Since we would of only been in BKK one day we thought we just use Tong to give us an easy intro to the city. We are staying in Chinatown so she suggested we just do this area by ourselves.

We also were looking at going to visit one of the childrens orphanges. Tong can arrange all this. However we are not sure if we will have time.

I think that if you speak to Tong she will throw the most popular suggestions at you, but if you let her know you want to do something different she is very accommodating

If you have already done the Grand Palace etc maybe just organise a Klong Tour.

Alternatively away from Tong, we have organised a day doing a bicycle tour of the klongs and backstreets of Bangkok. The company is called ABC - Amazing Bangkok Cyclists and the web address is www.realasia.net - a different way to see Bangkok and I have had a few people give me great reviews raving about it. It would be worth having a look for something different.

Hope that helps xx

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Thanx for the tips Reeta. I'm in planning process with Tong right now and its very difficult to tell her what you want to do when you simply just want to do it all & see it all in 2 days.
Bad planning mistake. Bangkok - 1 week minimum for next vist (If I get the opportunity).
Warm Regards
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM

No problems... think I might ask about making merit with the monks too.. good idea!!