Inn at Spanish Steps or Intercontinental Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a choice but can't decide. I have reservations at the Inn at Spanish Steps but have read on various sites that sometimes they put you in a lesser hotel. There are good reviews for the Intercontinental but I worry about the Spanish Steps with a 73 year old husband with a heart condition. Which one would you choose?? Thanking you in advance for your suggestions.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM

I loved the Inn at the Spanish Steps. Great location, next to the Cafe Greco on the Via Condotti, very nice staff, lovely rooftop terrace for breakfast. We had two rooms when we were there, and both were very nice.
The only drawback there is that the beds were quite hard. I don't know about them putting you in another hotel; tell them about your husbands heart condition and voice your concerns about overbooking.
I don't know the Intercontinental, so can't compare the two.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:53 AM
kmflondon

I was in Rome in January and either the Hassler or the Intercontinental (I can't remember which) was under major renovation with scaffolding and noisy crews outside. We were supposed to stay at the Scalinata di Spagna across the street but we have 2 small children and our double stroller would not go through the front door of the hotel. So we were actually glad to stay at the bottom of the steps instead because of the noise for one, and although there is a lift up and down the steps, you still must take about a half flight of stairs to the lift. And there is a lot of construction on the Spanish Steps themselves now. But I don't know when the construction is planned to be complete or when you are going to Rome.

I would stay at the Inn and go to the top of the steps once for the view. That way you won't be going up and down every day. That was easier and more convenient for us with 2 small children and a large stroller.

That being said I have never stayed in or been inside either hotel.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:10 AM

Lulu, I am going to give you a vote for the Intercontinental De La Ville. I have some friends, an elderly couple, who stay there every year. I visited them at the hotel last year when I was also in Rome, and it is a beautiful hotel, in a nice area, and their service is wonderful. My friends are in their 70's fit, but aware of their limitations at that age, and knowing that this is their Rome choice speaks volumes to me.

I cannot speak for the renovation issue, since there was none going on when I was there in November. I would check on that before any further considerations...
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Although there is an elevator at the Inn at the Spanish Steps, some floors require an extra short flight of stairs. It was extremely noisy and the walls between rooms thin. Staff moved furniture on roof top area very early in the morning in prepartion for breakfast as well as late at night. We would never stay there again.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM

LuLu ..how about a very quiet, lovely hotel nearby..on via della Purificazione, near Via Veneto...elevator, no steps...Hotel Modigliani, our favorite in Rome..ask for the first floor room off the garden..lovely, private garden..excellent breakfast buffet, friendly staff, owned by a child psychologist and writer husband..about 190E's...we love it. Your husband would be quite stress free there.

Stu T. www.hotelmodigliani.com