Car rental off airport-PHX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 2 week road trip beginning/ending at Sky Harbor-Phoenix. In my research for good prices I have come upon car rental rates that are greatly reduced for rentals when reserved at locations outside the airport. For a 2 week trip this adds up to $200 off the airport rate. Even with a taxi fare to/from the remote location it seems like the cost-effective way to go.

My questions--has anyone else done this? For some reason I am concerned that I may be doing alot to get a little gain. Is it as easy as reserving the lower rate then taking a cab to the location to start the trip? I am going on the assumption there are no dumb questions. Please be nice.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
TheWeasel

Yes, it's as easy as you describe. I've done it in Denver, and took a bus to the car rental place in downtown. You should check into returning the car at the airport rather than the pickup location. It might be the same price without the additional cab fare.

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM
emd

PArrothead, there was a long thread about this exact same Phoenix car rental topic recently! One person used FOX rental for significantly reduced rates, and someone reported back on getting a car off-site away from airport. I'll try to find and top the thread for you.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM
emd

I just topped the two threads for you - one on Fax car rental and one on Additional driver coverage which has info on off-airport rentals.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM
emd

make that FOX, not fax
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM

I remember a thread last year about Hertz on Indian Road or something, rates much lower because of the 40percent taxes/fees at the airport. You can return the car to the airport location however.