Lake Tahoe - kayaking hints

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is typical July weather at Lake Tahoe?
Having never been there (easteners), what areas are good for kayaking?
Are all the lakeside areas commercial or are there quiet areas to rent a cabin?
Excuse the duh questions; appreciate any input.
JC

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 08:56 AM

There are no "duh" questions, just induhviduals.

The weather thing you can always find online. Tahoe Keys are a great place to begin. Also, the west edge of the lake, around Tahoe City.

Powered By Google.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM

Typical July temps range from 75-85 during the day. The weather is usually nice but there can be thunderstorms. They tend to hit the south and east shore the hardest. The west shore has the least wind, so it's probably the best for kayaking and stuff on the lake.
There are plenty of places to rent kayaks around Tahoe City, Tahoe Vista & Kings Beach.
If the weather cooperates another really nice area is Sand Harbor on the East Shore.
As for cabin rentals call a local realestate office and they can give a list of cabin rentals.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 09:43 AM

There are places to rent cabins but it's been so many years since I have done that (actually my parents did that) I can't suggest. You might try Google, or through the Tahoe City Chamber of Commerce and also a real estate company. Many of them handle rental properties. I know we always picked our key up at a real estate office. The quieter side of the Lake is on the west side...Tahoe City area, Sunnyside, Homewood (where we rented). South Shore is the most built up and busy. Just a work of caution: there can be summer storms at the lake. They come up usually in the afternoon and they can come up fast, so if you are out on the lake after noon time, keep an eye on the sky. Even though you are usually pretty close to shore in a kayak, there can sometimes be some pretty big waves so just be careful.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Tahoe Keys is a good, quiet place, but not "cabins"...townhouses, sort of. On the "keys". Try tahoeaccommodations.com. I think that is where we found ours. Very quiet. July weather is great.

Try Choice1.com if you want something more upscale.

For cabins...the east side of the lake has some historic ones. At least used to. Anybody here can help?
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 01:02 PM

My vote goes to Sand Harbor. One of our favorite places to kayak in Tahoe. Enjoy the area! ***kim***
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Here's my kayaking hint for Lake Tahoe...DON'T FALL IN because that water is *COLD*...even in July!!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM
JJ5

The last poster said it first, but I'm telling you as a swimmer. GOOD FOR FISHING, BAD FOR SWIMMING.

It's a glacier lake and it's nasty. July is no exception. It's deep and it's cold. You do not want to be in the water or wet for long.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM

My sister kayaks almost every weekend in July and August at Silver Lake or Silver Bay (can't recall) on the North Shore of Tahoe (I believe it's on the CA side).
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Ms_jingles: Silver Lake isn't on the lake. It is about 20 miles (as the crow flies -- over 40 miles by road) south of Lake Tahoe.

There are several bays along the north shore (Agate, Crystal, Carnelian, etc) but no Silver Bay.

desretjoan: Kayaking is fabulous -- Sand Harbor is one of the best places mostly because it is unbelievably gorgeous. But DO follow the advice to be out of the water by early afternoon. And don't go out if it is to windy - it can get REALLY choppy really fast. Thunderstorms can come up w/ little warning - usually in the late afternoos.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Afternoon kayaking is best on the west side as that afternoon wind makes the east side very treacherous. The area around DL Bliss over to Emerald Bay is quite nice. All along the Rubicon and Gold Coast is very nice.

here's a great shot of Rubicaon Point:
http://www.boattahoe.com/rubicon.htm
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM

Does anyone know the best place to rent a kayak at Tahoe. We are staying near Zephyr Cove, and would like a sit on top kayak. Would love to rent for a week. It seems as expensive as buying one!!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:20 PM

Here's a place near Timber Cove Inn in south lake tahoe:
http://www.kayaktahoe.com/rentals.html

They have sit on top style.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM

I've rented a kayak at Zepher Cove before. Try there.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM

Meeks Bay is an area to check for cabins. I can't remember the name of the resort. (It may just be called Meeks Bay). Can't remember if it is a good area for kayaking, but you can ask the resort folks. Just returned from North Tahoe and saw kayakers in Kings Beach area, Tahoe City and Sunnyside.
Weather was beautiful -warm. No thunderstorms, but they often sneak up in the afternoons in July.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Meeks Bay Resort is a great place to put in kayaks. There are usually many there. Just got back but it wasn't really all that warm and it was a bit windy. If you can put in at DL Bliss by getting a really early start you will see some really fabulous scenery that is only visible to boaters. Also the area between Meeks and Bliss is really pretty to. More area not visible from the road. So to recap all the area between Meeks Bay and Emerald Bay will be fabulous and not usually visible from the road.