Search

Venice Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Hotels

How does the Giorgione hotel compare to Flora, Violino D'Oro, and Colombina?

thanks.
michael
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 05:43 AM

michael, the best way to attract the attention of people who know those hotels is to mention their names in your heading.
Also, it's not likely that someone is going to be able to compare each to the other, unless he/she has stayed at all of them.

I have stayed at the Flora, though not recently. To me it has a perfect location. Rooms vary in size. The hotel is small but offered all the services I needed, including laundry.
The breakfast was just rolls and hot beverage, but nicely served in the dining room or in the pretty courtyard, where you can also have drinks later in the day.

I haven't stayed at the Colombina, but it too has a good location, though a little trickier to find the first time, perhaps, as it's on a small side canal.
It was brand-new a few years ago, don't know current conditions. I saw a few rooms there, the doubles were of moderate size with modern bathrooms, and the staff was very pleasant when I asked to see some rooms.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Hi Michael --

I haven't stayed in the 4 you want to compare to, but did recently stay at the Giorgione. Our experience was not so great (musty room and bad A/C) and we believe it was because we booked through venere.com. If you are booking through another method, you might have better luck.

If you have a chance, click on my name and read my recent trip report for a full review and more details of our specific experience with them... Good luck!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Of the four you mention, I've only stayed at Flora and liked it very much. As Elaine mentioned, room sizes do vary, so if you can, try to get a large room. The owners/staff are lovely, very helpful, and the location is great.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 03:59 AM

I have recommended this small hotel to 3 couples who have stayed in benice on seperate occasions. We all loved it. great breakfast. Unusually responsive and friendly staff that treat you like family. I can not say enough!
http://www.inns-venice-hotel.locandaorseolo.com/
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:07 AM
DiG

Hi Michael: Of the 4 you asked about, I
stayed at the Columbina. FYI it was in 2000 and my only time in Venice. It was rated a 4 and the rooms were to go under renovations that winter. Elaine says it was brand new a few yrs ago and perhaps that's what she's referring to, if not, she'll correct this.

Location: short walk behind P.S.Marco, quiet on a small side canal, local charm & pleasant for strolls.

Service: staff pleasant & professional with a sense of humor, attentive, very helpful with reservations, etc.
Water level was very high on arrival day. 2 porters assisited me in making sure my feet landed onto their lobby entrance and not into the canal space below as they practically lifted up!!!

Room: spacious with a true King bed with 2 large bedside tables and the most beautiful chandelier hanging over it; a Cleoparta type chaise lounge & a sitting chair; a desk & chair built into a large bureau & large mirror, with plenty of space to walk around in.

Bathroom: overly spacious, double sinks with ample counter space, hooks on wall for stuff plus 2 Terry cloth robes for us, big fluffy towels, toiletries, large bathtub with hand held shower, all beautifully marble tiled.

Closets & Privacy: room's entryway had 2 floor to ceiling sized closets with shelves and a bench to drop your stuff on. Then you walk so many feet along wall to several steps up to the bedroom area. Anyone in the doorway area could only see chaise & part of the bureau.

Breakfast & Bar: BB was plentiful, tastey & if not to your liking was promptly reserved to you fresh. This was not included in the room. Next time I plan to get out and enjoy the morning shops & cafes to experience the local flavor. Bar was small, elegant & I had great martinis there.

They arranged a private water taxi to tour Murano glass factory as they have their own 'arrangement' with them which made this entire experience free for us. Enjoy the ride and factory tour but don't feel pressured to buy anything.

As I said in the beginning it was in 2000 and to go under renovations. We asked to see the double rooms and they appeared to be very accomodating in size back then.

I apologize if this is lengthy but feel
IMO the more precise information you have to make a decision the better informed your decision will be.
Happy travels!

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:25 AM

I have a reservation at Locanda Sant'Agostin. Has anyone stayed there? I'm wondering how crowded and touristy that area is. I will be going in mid September.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 08:30 AM

We were one night at the Flora and would go back.
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 09:46 AM

The Violino D'oro is very nice too, it's a good 3 star hotel, located very close to St Mark. Some friends of mine stayed at the Giorgione last May 2005 and they loved it but it is farther from St Mark, in a quiet position and about 10/15 min. walk from St Mark. It is categorized as a 4 star though.
I presonally stayed at Hotel La Forcola and I can recommend it. It is a 3 star hotel, situated in Cannaregio area, about 10 min walk from St Mark but 1 min. walk from San Marcuola ferry stop along the Gran canal. Very pleasant, good buffet breakfast, lots of shops nearby, if you are traveling by train, the strada Nuova (where the hotel La Forcola is situated) takes you directly to the Station. Just follow the flow of people. The outside of the hotel is unimpressive, but inside it is clean and neat.