Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Have you ever bought so much on a trip that you had to buy more luggage to get it home?

Have you ever bought so much on a trip that you had to buy more luggage to get it home?

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This nearly happened after 2 weeks on Kauai and Maui. Everything fit with some real effort, but our bags were seriously overweight. Now I'm about to head to NYC for 4 days, and am thinking this could quite likely happen to me, even if I take my biggest bag and pack lightly. Has it happened to you?
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:54 PM

No, but I have shipped stuff home on several occasions. I just take my souveniers to the closest mail boxes etc. and they box it all up and ship it for me. Very convinient. Once I shipped my luggage home as well so I didn't have to mess with checking it or carrying it on. That was terrific.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Kal

Mrs Kal keeps the large, blue, foldable "rubber" bag she bought in Chicago years ago that she packs in her "real" luggage for those "just gotta haves-can't find them at home".

Then she discovered "shipping". =D>
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Kudos to Kal and Mrs Kal for getting me once again...I thought she does what? Then finally caught up to"then she discovered shipping!" Anything that can or might, will break if you cram it into your suitcase. We always make a stop at our favorite local post office!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Kal

g'lou,

Ever since we saw some little ceramic thing in Grand Cayman, bought it and babied it all the way home...only to find the same thing at Mervyn's a few weeks later....does Mrs K think twice about buying a lot of stuff on the road.

Seems like everything is either on the i'net now or if you wait long enough, it will be at "Tar-jhays".

On the other hand, there's "jewelry".....a four letter word in the Kal-hold. It's wearable and takes up little space in your luggage.
The things that woman does for me!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM
b_in_d

I've never bought more luggage while on vacation, but on my last trip to NYC, I put one big wheely bag inside of another, so that I would have an extra on the way home. Does that count?

I may have to give shipping a try on my next trip. I have nieces.

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM

My hand is raised.
We did a Mrs Kal. I was in Paris and having a spree every day. ( the Franc was good!)
So we went to Galleries Lafayette and I got a nice big foldup bag
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Kal

...the cabernet franc was even better.

BTW...I used to ship from the Niketown's in NYC and Chicago...until I realized there was one in SF.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:44 PM

My son had his things shipped from India ( his last exotic holiday)
for weeks, we were getting these beautifully wrapped packages with a million stamps on them. It is sort of fun, delayed holiday thrills

Kal, it is Foly PN tonight.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Foley
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Never bought more luggage but have shipped things home. We went to England & Scotland on our honeymoon and, since it was our honeymoon, felt justified in buying way more than normal (antique quilt, lots of lace stuff, several teacup & saucer sets, a graphic art picture, lots of sweaters and other woolens, antique silver dessert flatware, gifts for everyone but the neighbor's cat...you name it we bought it!). The good news is we still use everything we bought way back when, except the quilt is now in acid-free storage -- too small for our current bed.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Kal

A Foley catheter?

Now that a tuff way to drink your PN!!!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
iceeu2

We have done both..Purchased an extra bag the very first time we went to Hawaii..long time ago, didn't know about shipping then!

Purchased an extra bag in Denmark for legos and such!

Last trip to Kauai, went to the UPS store and I'm still waiting for my whatever it is I bought too much of!

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM

We ended up going to a sort of Walmart type place in New Zealand to buy a bag tocarry back all the stuff we bought in Oz and NZ. It was easier to check another bag vs shipping and spending the money to send overseas and maybe getting it months later.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Guilty, guilty, guilty

I have shipped loads of stuff home, have thrown away my blowdryer and anything not totally necessary, and I also take an extra bag with me. This extra bag is huge too...it expands from about 12x12x14 to about 36" tall. Thankfully my DH indulges me and just laughs. My next trip overseas though, he has already asked what I plan to buy
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM

I think this has happened to most people, where they just buy too much stuff on a trip. But a lot depends on where you're going and if it's a "shopper's" destination. Also, it depends if it's your first time there. We LOVE Hawaii so whenever we go there, we always buy tons of stuff. But we didn't really buy much when we went to NY. Asia is a shopper's paradise with all it's cheap merchandise and knock-offs. So when we go there, we always prepare for more stuff to bring back. But if you're half way around the world, are you seriously going to spend that much money to ship anything back home, especially if it's another suitcase or a large parcel???
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM

BigJim--Yes, definitely! Being halfway across the world means that I better bring stuff home, because I don't know how soon I would be able to return, lol!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Last trip to Maui I brought my nylon duffle and put the dirty clothes in it, packed my sturdy suitcase with my beautiful new coffee mugs wrapped in boxes and layers of clothing surrounding them. 1st cup of my Kona coffee the morning after I got back leaked out of a crack in the mug.....found out I could replace it online but also noticed a branch of the same store in Kauai where I am headed in Sept or Oct so I guess I need to do more shopping!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM

Didn't have to buy an additional bag but the one I had weighed a TON!!! The guy that drove the airport shuttle almost had a hernia when he went to lift my bag. I just couldn't imagine a couple of jars of Marmalade and mustard could weigh so much...well and other stuff. I think next trip I'll probably take a bag because my suitcase has gottem smaller.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM

I have one of those bags that folds into its own pocket and then unfolds to a large tote bag (Totes, Avon, etc). I always stick it in my suitcase. Since it's soft I load my dirty clothes in it and pack my new purchases in my real suitcase. I do vote for buying jewelry as a souvenier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -