ADVICE WANTED: PARIS!!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADVICE WANTED: PARIS!!!

Okay, newbie to Paris, France here I come. Needing some advice on attire and definitely DO NOT WANT to look like a tourist. Going in May for my anniversary, desire to look hip and cool yet comfortable. Also, would LOVE ADVICE on to-die-for shopping places. Thanks
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:35 AM

You are more likely to get helpful answers if you go to the Europe forum, search a few past threads on these subjects, then post a more specific question on the Europe thread. Bon voyage.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:37 AM

1) Post this on the Europe board.

2) You will be a tourist and you will look like one. Accept it now, and wear whatever you like. Whatever you would feel happiest in, whether that is jeans and t-shirts or something higher fashion. It doesn't matter one iota to the people who are in Paris what you wear.

3) Itinerary - search the Europe board. And then if you still want help, you'll need to specify a lot more info. What dates will you be there? What do you like to do? Are you going anywhere else on this trip, or just Paris?

4) Shopping - Same as above. Search the Europe board. But you'll have to also let people know what you want to shop for and what price range. Are you looking for fabulous kitchenware? Wonderful stationery? Perfumes/jewelry/handbags not available in the US? Bargain basement finds that are fun but cheap?

Help us out here.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM

Do a search for old posts on "what to wear" and "how not to look like a tourist" before you post your question. You are likely to get bashed on the Europe board where they are soooo tired of those same tired questions. Get a Frommer's or Fodor's guide to Paris for info on best shopping areas.

You will look like a tourist less because of your dress and more because of your demeanor. When you are a foreigner in a foreign land you tend to look hesitant and clueless- speaking from experience.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Well, you were looking for answers and all these people just tell you to search the boards. Well, let me give you a few free hints without troubling your search engine.

I went to Paris in Fall 2003. I'm sure I stuck out like a sore thumb, as I wore khakis and jeans most of the time. At the time, the super-pointy shoes were being worn by the fashionistas of Paris, and there I was in big blunt-toed Merrills.

If I could change one thing (and I will when I go back Paris for a second visit this fall) is I would wear a LOT more black and take my black leather jacket. It would be nice to fit in a little more, even though 90% IS attiude.

Good luck in your travels. Also, the French will be a lot nicer than otherwise if you start all your conversations with "Bonjour" and end them with "merci"

Jules in Denver
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Actually Jules, the problem is the poster asked the question on the U.S. board rather than the Europe board and wasn't likely to get any valuable responses from people who are reading the U.S board.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Truly, this is not us being persnickety here... but if you go to the Europe branch and/or use the 'search' function, there's TONS of great info on exactly this subject.

p.s. IMO it's not so much what you wear (unless you are horribly unstylish dresser normally) it is that you will be doing tourist things, mostly likely carrying a camera or map, looking confused, and speaking English to your partner!!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Leave the sweatshirts & T-shirts at home.
Jules is right, I never saw so many people in black....everything or anything black!

I didn't notice anyone, however in the pointy toed heels! More industrial looking shoes. We took the train everyday from a subdivision into Paris and then the Metro in Paris, so we saw ALOT of black!

I tend to wear bright colors, so I really noticed the lack of color in most people's fashion. Mentioned this to my German co-worker later and she agreed, Americans wear alot more colorful fashions!

However, what I did was take a tweed jacket (muted greens,browns, golds) that I could wear with many different outfits. Maybe change it up abit with a scarf. I remember taking green, brown, taupe outfits (pants/tops or sweaters).
We were there in October 3 years ago.

Backpacks or those shoulder packs are recommended and seen frequently.

THE most important thing is take COMFORTABLE shoes!! An umbrella or hat in that back pack is a good idea too!
Happy Trails! Belle
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Well, I don't know how NOT to look like a foreigner. I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe and then keep my mouth shut the whole time. I guess I could just grunt and point. That way they would thing I was an afflicted local.

My wife has the same problem. She was standing on a trail in Switzerland.
Another hiker came up from behind her, did not stop walking, and said in good English as he passed, "Your pack is unfastned."

No hesitancy about the correct language to use in a multi lingual setting.
She was correctly identified from at least 20 yards away!!

Another thing, given the strength of the euro versus the dollar, or the weakness of the dollar if that is your base currency, prices in Paris will seem quite high.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:34 PM

No jeans, no t-shirts, no sneakers. I found the french great. One maitre'd actually followed me to the street after dinner to "thank you for your french." I felt right at home; a country full of people who think George Bush is an idiot.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM
stjohnbound

I had the same concerns as you the first time I went to Paris. I worried about what to wear, etc. Paris is no different from any other big city in that you will find people dressed in all different ways. Don't worry too much about how you're dressed - nobody but you really cares (sorry). If I can offer some advice it would be to wear dark colors, esp. black. This is because cities tend to be dirty and black really does best in that type of situation. Honestly, I worried so much about how stylish Paris was, etc. etc. before I went there. Forget it. It's a normal place - a GREAT normal place! Just relax and be yourself and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I did not find great shopping places in Paris but I'm sure they're out there.

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:39 PM

cgonz,
For shopping... Galeries Lafayette & Printemps, and both have free fashion shows. Galeries Lafayette has a great food department. Bon Marché, especially the Grand Epicerie for food items. Place de la Madeleine for Fauchon, Hediards, and Boutique Maille. O & Co. for olive oil, tapenades, soaps and hand lotion, etc. L'Occitane for soaps and hand lotion... L'Occitane owns O & Co. Natalys for baby clothes and toys. You might want to order Suzy Gershman's Born to Shop Paris from amazon.com -- it's a small, lightweight paperback and costs $10.87.

Sandy
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM

To tburke99--that was a truly lovely aspect of being in France!!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you are into fashion, trendy and cutting edge go to Colette on Rue St-Honore and in the Marais, L'Eclaireur.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:08 PM

I can't help but wonder why people are so ashamed of themselves they are embarrassed about being what they are -- a person visiting a place where they don't live. Very sad, indeed.