Money belts pros/cons

Search

Money belts pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money belts pros/cons

I have worn a money belt in the past and yes it was secure, so secure----glued to my body with perspiration that I had to pry it from my waist! Not quite that bad but almost. Then there is the question of where to stop and remove cash-in bathroom? I know that I won't lose it but is there an alternative?

I have this paranoia about the wear around your neck type. Someone will either garrot me or it'll be cut away and gone before I know it. I might be whining but I also want to feel comfortable.

Has anyone (you notice I'm not being gender specific) worn one that pinned to their bra?

Please don't throw tomatoes at me for this simple question but what is the best?
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM

The idea of a moneybelt is to hold your stuff that you don't need right away.
You carry a day's cash and one credit card in a front pocket (or a purse, or whatever).

You shouldn't be digging into the moneybelt during the day except for an emergency.

I think it would be silly to wear a neck pouch that has straps that can easily be cut. Perhaps you can pin the straps so the pouch isn't visible, although I haven't done that.

I had a leg pouch, and tried it at home, but didn't end up wearing it.

People who oppose money belts tend not to be solo travelers who are on a strict budget taking public transportation from place to place, and who will really have their plans and budget ruined if their ID, money, and cards are stolen.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Longchamp makes a zippered bag on a belt, that is very attractive that you can wear with dress clothes.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM

Hi jazzyred, I understand exactly what you are saying about money belts. I hate them.

Will you be staying in hotels that have a hotel safe (not a room safe) where you can put your extra money, back up credit cards/atm card, passport etc.

If so, I would do that and just carry what you need for each day.

If you are traveling on public transporation from place to place and feel uneasy about all your documents, money etc. then I guess the only thing to do is wear the money belt and put up with the misery of it. Oh, the joys of traveling.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:30 PM

I used to wear a money belt, but now I just use the same common sense that I do in New York, Baltimore, D.C., San Francisco, Chicago, etc.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM

I found that wearing a 'belt wallet' worked great for me. It goes underneath your slacks and a loop securely snaps around your belt. it is 5 3/4"x7 1/2". I took both the around the waist model and this one but really found it easy to use this one as you could pull it out without disrobing, get your atm card out, use it and then stash it and the bulk of your withdrawal back inside the wallet and put it back inside your clothing and then have your 'walking around' money and single credit card in wherever you felt safe to carry them. I wore belted slacks most of the time as i was traveling in winter but the one skirt with no belt i used a very large heavy safety pin to same effect. I was very pleased at how well it worked. LLBean carries it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:42 AM

I read an article once where a woman described the invisible "money pocket" she had created that she safety-pinned to the inside of her skirt. She used it in particularly high risk situations (e.g. crowded buses where pickpocketing is rife when she had to carry her valuables with her). She made the pocket by stitching a hankerchief into an envelope shape, and then pinned it into her skirt. It was practically invisible. I'm going to try this for some situations in my upcoming trip to Morocco.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:02 AM

I'll admit I don't use a moneybelt, either, and have never had problems, but I live in a big city and travel a lot, so am careful with my things in a purse or totebag. I think I have tried one a couple times when going to an area noted to be particularly bad, but I can't stand to wear them.

I did buy one that is an ankle-belt with velcro that you can put around your ankle, as that seems more comfortable. It's only good in weather where you are wearing long pants, however.

I don't even understand how one can wear a money belt that is pinned to one's bra. If I used one for a credit card, some money, my passport alone, this would be a bit obvious sticking out in a lump from my chest or as an appendage dangling down somewhere. Plus it sounds more uncomfortable than the money belt. I don't usually wear the kind of clothes (or bras) where that would be a possibility, they aren't bulky or loose enough.

Where would such a thing actually hang, anyway, if pinned to a bra somewhere, and where on a bra would one pin this?

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM

I don't like to wear moneybelts either, but I feel safer with one on. I use one that wraps around my calf. Because I often travel to Europe during off-season, I am always wearing long pants. I like the calf belt better because its more comfortable for me and I can access it easier. However, I usually keep some money and a credit card in my pocket as well to avoid digging into the money belt every time I purchase anything.

Tracy
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Never used one myself, but as I understand the general theory is you DON'T get into it during the day. It is meant as a traveling "safe" on your person for your paperwork, passport, large amounts of money, not to be used as a wallet.

You should keep what cash or ID you need for the day separate, out in a pocket or coin purse or something.

Other alternatives to money belt or neck pouch: hidden security pockets in your clothing, leg strap wallet normal leather belt that has a zipper to stash cash (does not work for passport), zipperred socks (I kid you not), etc.

IMO it depends on the type of trip you are taking how far to go with security measures- are you traveling alone, is this a 6 month backpacking trip staying in hostels and camping out, or are will you be in hotels in cities. To me, a different in approach is needed.

As I opened with... I use a normal pocketbook and several different coin purses to keep separate various cards, ATM, foreign currencies, and split where I carry them (between purse, suitcase, etc.).
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM

I have worn a moneybelt on every trip to Europe -- I wear it in the back (pretty comfortable back there) with passport/railpass/2 credit cards/ATM card/extra cash in it. I feel strongly that that's the absolute safest place for those items. I carry daily cash in a pocket in a tiny (about 3-1/2 x 4 inches)zippered nylon thing, which has a cord attached, and attach that to a belt loop, or put it into a velcro-closure pocket. Works great. Can carry a credit card in it, too, if you're out shopping. Pickpockets tend to go for the easier grabs....wallets and purses and backpacks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:56 AM

I tried two different types on our trip to Europe.

One was the pouch with the elastic waist band. It bugged me, so I gave it to my son to wear and it didn't seem to bother him any.

The other was one that went around my neck--has a cloth wrapped steel cable that adjusts and would not be easily cut. Could probably really hurt if someone grabbed it and tried to pull it off though. I found it to be most comfortable worn over one shoulder, across my torso, with the pouch down on my side. Didn't show much that way either.

I ended up wearing that one most of the time, but it did get a little hot and my passport got damp and wrinkled. This summer I'm putting my passport in a little baggie.

I was really glad in Paris that I had my neck pouch on with my credit card, extra ATM card, and passport secured in them. We got squashed like sardines into a Metro car thanks to a rail strike and I was pickpocketed. We were so severely squashed together that it was not possible to secure any part of your person or belongings.

The thieves got my billfold with ATM card, phone card, day's supply of cash, Metro card. When I realized it was gone, I was able to go straight to an Internet place, transfer all the money out of the account with the stolen ATM card, notify the bank of the stolen card, get new cash on the other ATM card, and our vacation continued right on with only about an hour of lost time. Hint: keep at least a small amount of local money in your money belt--enough to get a new Metro ticket, phone token or card, Internet minutes, etc.

Stupid thieves got very little. It was the last day of our vacation but would have sucked to lose my passport, our rail pass, money cards, etc.

My grandma showed me how to wrap up money in a small handkerchief and pin it inside my bra. You pin it with a tiny safety pin to the area that will be under your arm or the lower section of the bra cup. It doesn't show, but you have to disrobe to get the money out. Safe way to carry a bunch of cash though. Somebody sells a bra that has a built in pouch, can't remember where I saw it.

As everpresent as ATM's are these days, there is hardly any reason to ever carry that much cash around anymore.

You really do need to safeguard your passport, travel passes/tickets and at least one credit/ATM card, and a bit of local money. Locking stuff up in a safe is OK if you're sightseeing for the day, but when you're on the move, your stuff needs to securely move with you.

The only solution is some sort of money belt/pouch. Travelers are more of a target than "regular folks" since they are usually carrying identification, money cards, money, transit tickets, and often looking around to figure out where they are going/supposed to get off, etc. So your "usual city precautions" might not be enough.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

I too use a moneybelt and have had occasion to be thankful when pressed into a crowd and trying not to have your pocketpicked--came close a time or two. Travel Smith also makes clothing with extra zipper pockets that are good to use for day money. My family also likes to use the kind that loops over your belt and hangs down inside your clothing. I usually just carry my day money in a purse that's slung across my body by a long strap. I also put my camera and lipstick in it, but not much else.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM

You've received some excellent advice. I wear a moneybelt, but never access it in public, during the day. That isn't what it is for.

It is CRITICAL for comfort to get a moneybelt made of breatheable fabric, not hot & sticky polyester. Invest in a good one!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM

My wife and I have the pouches that hang on a ribbon around your neck. In reading this thread, it sounds like people are wearing these outside their clothes; we wear ours inside. They are comfortable, not noticeable, and I think we would notice if a thief got into our clothes to get to them.

I prefer them to a money belt, as on some occasions you do have to get something out of them, and its easier fishing them out than finding a place where you can get to a moneybelt.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:10 PM

I have an expensive brand money belt - got it in a specialized store Edwards luggage in Embardadero, San Francisco. It's thin, has 2 zippered pockets. My only "con" is that it's bulky and visible under a summer dress, despite the price.

The belt is for emergencies, like you don't have enough money, but can't survive without that pair of shoes you saw in the shop's window In this case you get money or credit card out in the bathroom.

If you wear regular cotton panties, not bikini type of undies, the belt goes over them and doesn't stick to your body. "Haines her way", for example.

I never tried any other types, like neck or leg pouches, so can't compare.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 05:26 PM

Pros -

helps reduce travel paranoia

Cons -

Uncomfortable

Looks silly

Inconvenient - just something else to deal with every morning (aren't camera, map and guide book enough?)

Wastes time - takes forever to get the money to pay for anything more than a soda

Makes you look like some sort of pervert - always fumbling inside your clothing

Marks you as a tourist so the pickpockets/thieves know who to target

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM

If you wear a money belt, for the millionth time, it should
a) not be visible
b) not be gotten into in public

The main reason to wear it, as I said, is if you are taking public transit to/from the train station or the airport, with all of your valuables. People who take taxis and aren't on a strict budget and who have another person along have way more margin for error.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM

How about this scenario -

I'm a woman, and when traveling in warmer weather I like to wear lighter weight clothes. Maybe a linen or silky skirt and lightweight t-shirt style top. I'm not so concerned with money as I don't carry much at once, but I'd like to keep my passport secure. I've generally just carried it in my purse.

But, wearing these lightweight clothes, how would you conceal a passport inside of a money bag under your clothing? The large, rectangular area really stands out under anything I've tried it with!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I mentioned earlier, Longchamps makes a very attractive leather, zippered bag on a belt, You can wear the belt on your jeans or pants or at the waist of your sweater, and use the bag, clutch style. It looks very nice over my linen dress or summer skirts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -