Provence -skip La camargue?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying 7 days in Provence 3nights/Arles, 4nights near Carpentras.

We had thought to visit La Camargue whilst in Arles,plus Les Baux, Pont du Gard, St. Remy, Uzes,and perhaps Aigues-Mortes.

However I am hearing in some posts that Arles is so-so and La Camargue full of mosquitoes-which logically would befit a marsh!

Should we forget staying at Arles, using our Carpentras location to see all but La Camargue and Aigues-Mortes? We would also hope to view the Luberon and Cotes du Rhone from Carpentras location.

We were wondering about Cassis and Les Calanques. Is it worth staying somewhere near Aix to see this area? We will have spent 10 days in Paris so would like a small place. If so where should we stay? Help! I need more imput.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It's a wonderful day trip from Arles to have lunch. There are lookout perches to view the pink flamingoes, a bird sanctuary and seeing those wild white horses and those black bulls are things you won't forget.
So my answer is NO!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Hi Jazzyred. My husband and I were in Provence last September. We stayed in Beaucaire which is really not that far from Arles. We did visit Arles for an afternoon and I have to say that it didn't have the "wow" factor for us. But I have discovered that that's a highly unique thing. My best friend (whose taste I trust) loved Arles! So go figure. You never know until you see a place if it is going to talk to you or not. I will say that Arles is a very good location for sightseeing. You wouldn't go wrong under any circumstances in that respect.

We went through the Camargue on our way to Aigues-Mortes. We got out of the car to do a little hiking and got assaulted by mosquitos within two seconds flat. I couldn't believe how vicious those little buggers were. We jumped back into our car as quickly as we could but a few of them came in with us! I smacked and smacked and our car looked like a bloodbath by the time I was done, but I got them all. (BTW, I grew up in New England so I am not unacquainted with mosquitos, but these French ones meant business.) We really liked the look of the Camargue, but honestly, it might be better seen through a car window. We saw the white ponies, bulls, and lots of birds. It's a very low key environment, nothing flashy about it, but I'm glad we took the time to visit.

You have to drive through the Camargue to get to Aigues-Mortes, which is definitely worth seeing! It's a lovely walled town. We spent hours and hours there. It has such a nice feel to it and is on our permanent "don't miss" list from now on in.

Uzes is another town on the same list. It is easily seen from an Arles location, and you can combine it with a trip to Pont du Gard (which we haven't seen, but must, on another trip). If you possibly can, try to visit Uzes on the market day, which is Sunday. I emptied my husband's wallet in less than an hour at that market, and found some treasured souvenirs (soaps, market baskets, jams, pottery, beads...among many other things!)

We wanted to see Cassis but never got to it. That's the thing about Provence: there are so many beautiful things to see and so little time...
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM

I'm planning a somewhat similar trip and so I've been obsessively reading every scrap of information I can find on Arles and the Camargue. I've found an overwhelming consensus that both are very worthwhile, but you may enjoy staying in or around St. Remy more than in Arles. I'm spending three nights in Arles myself because my friends want to be in the heart of a city, but St. Remy might be more pleasant and more easily accessible for driving in and out on day trips.

Not sure how this fits in your plans, but I have been to Cassis and the Calanques and highly recommend them!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Sorry, I made an error. Market day in Uzes is Saturday. If you do get there--hope you do--take a look at the magnificent cathedral, too. It's very unique and beautiful.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Arles is not small, stay in the area around the forum. Be sure to go to the Arletan Museum. We visit the Camargue every year and never had the misquito problem. One year we were there for a few days and no problem. It maybe certain areas. The Van Goth Cafe makes a beautiful photo taken from the Place de Forum. Go into the Nord Pinus Hotel and view the photos and memorobelia of the famous bull fighters.
Mermaid. You have been to Provence only once, Give it another try on your next visit. Go on Market day, visit a tapas bar, sit in a cafe in the Forum, Visit the Christian St. Croix shop. The Mueum, I mentioned. There's still alot I haven't seen there.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:57 PM

mermaid, you're making me "homesick" for Uzès. There's also a smaller market there on Wednesdays.

jazzyred, we quite liked Arles, but as mermaid points out, everyone is unique in their interests and tastes. We enjoyed the white horses of the Camargue and absolutely loved Aigues-Mortes. There is a beautiful town square there, with café terraces surrounding an interesting statue of Saint-Louis.

So, to answer your question about splitting your time between Arles and the Carpentras area, I'd stay with your present plan.

Anselm
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Here's a taste of Arles for those who have never been.

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/bouches/arles/arles.htm