Air France OR American to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinions on Air France vs. American to Italy? Comfort, service, food, drink, etc.?
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM

Try posting this in the "airlines" forum. For what it's worth - price, times, schedules, layovers, and FF miles are my considerations (in that order) when I am considering flights. Your four criteria don't even make my list.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM

I am not sure which one of those is better but if American still offers "extra leg room" I would go American.

If you happen to be flying from a lufthansa gateway, I think a Lufthansa flight thru Frankfurt or Munich is a better choice. In my opinion, Lufthansa runs a tight ship and although the flight attendants aren't overly friendly, the airline is VERY punctual and offer clean jets and professional service.

Connections thru German airports are all fairly easy too.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM

I prefer AF myself for the service, food, and comfort. I still prefer it over AA's legroom, but then again I'm not a tall person.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM

Air France is clearly superior in coach class. Food, serivce and overall cleanliness of the equipment is much better on Air France. Unfortunatly, I cannot comment on business or first class of either airline company.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:16 PM

I would choose American. Have had to change planes in Paris twice with Air France and each time my luggage arrived a day later.

Casale
http://www.angelfire.com/film/casale
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:27 PM

I agree with Stefanaccio..I like AF for services but if you plan to stop in Rome than you must change in Paris..There is not a direct flight to Rome with AF.
Now if you plan to stop in Paris first,then AF is a better choice..
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:34 PM

Comparing the two airlines in terms of inflight service is senseless. I've flown both, I do love American, leg room is great and inflight services overseas not bad, won't say the best but certainly not bad. Air France I've flown too, also good inflight services and I'd say the food is a bit better! Based on those insignificies I'd go with whatever airline has the best schedule, connections and of course price.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:49 PM

IMO it probably depends on you origination airport. From SFO it takes two flights in order to reach Rome.
SFO-CDG non-stop is a great flight, then a shorty to FCO.
However we accrue most ofour travel miles on AA, so tend to use them more. From the east coast I would lean to AA direct to Rome.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM

mmr41,
Pretty much what I said, go with the airline with best flight schedule. However, I think you are a bit mistaken for AA from East Coast. Unless you live in Chicago or the NY area you aren't going to find a nonstop to Rome with AA. I might point out that your term 'direct' does not mean nonstop. Direct means you don't have to change planes but it can stop and possibly more than once! That is the most misunderstood airline term to the general flyer! I do know that Air France flies nonstop out of Dulles, of course to Paris, here in the Dc area as well as some other cities across the US...but one needs to check their flight schedule. Basically unless you live in Chicago, or NY you aren't going to fly nonstop to Rome....almost certainly a connection with either AA thru ORD or JFK or Air France thu CDG.
Happy travels.