Search

Blue Hole - Snorkeling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Hole - Snorkeling?

My wife and I are avid snorkelers. I was wondering if Blue Hole is worth taking a snorkel trip to or if the heavy traffic to this site has adversely affected the corel and marine life one would see from snorkeling? It sounds like there are plenty of other snorkel spots to visit if this area has unfortunately seen better days.

Also, any tour operators you would recommend for snorkel trips out of Ambergris Cay?

Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:06 PM
TC

My husband and his partner dived the Blue Hole a couple of years ago. We girls went along for the ride as we are not divers. We are, however, avid snorkelers and the Blue Hole was some of the most beautiful. No one ever snorkels there. Its just divers who go strictly for the deep dive. They jump in, they decend and they get out. The snorkeling around the perimeter of the BH was magnificent. We also loved the trip to Half Moon Caye. The snorkeling in the bay there was superb and the Red-footed Boobie and Frigate Bird colony on the island was amazing. Take your camera.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:11 PM

For snorkeling around Ambergris Caye (Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks), I highly recommend Alfonso Graniel. I've gone with him several times. He is very knowledgeable about the area reefs and goes in the water with you to point out the various fish, corals and other sea life. He is very patient with beginners and takes the time to get them comfortable in the water.

You can get more information on the following website:

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/alfonso/index.html
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Great snorkeling at the BH, Half Moon Caye and the Aquarian, all stops on the full day trip.

www.amigosdive.com
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Snorkeling around the Blue Hole is some of the best in Belize, in our opinion.You can spend an hour+ and really enjoy while divers go into the dark for 5 minutes of bottom time. It is a bit of a trip from Ambergris Cay so we stay at Lighthouse Reek Resort which gets there in 30 minutes vs. 2 hrs.
You can go twice and not get bored. There is also good snorkeling 10 minutes from the resort and they are happy to take you out each day while the divers do their thing in the dive boat.