biking in Beijing

Search

biking in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biking in Beijing

Where is a good place to rent cycles? I found Cycle China on ther internet and they apparently supply maps of hutongs and if you want them guided tours. Has anyone used them? Can one survive the crowds and traffic and where to go? Thanks
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:37 AM

You could probably bike around the hutongs in the Back Lakes area and maybe in the parks.

Other than these places I would suggest not biking in Beijing. The chinese do not believe in orderly lines - not when buying a ticket nor when driving. They dart around squeeze forward, trying to get ahead. Worse than Rome and, yes, even Bangkok.

Even tho, in some places, there are supposedly "orderly" lanes - the innermost for pedestrians, the next lane for bikers, and the outermost for autos - the Chinese drivers don't observe these niceties. You'll often find them driving/parking in the pedestrian and/or biking lanes.

You are taking your life in your hands when you walk across the street, much less try to negotiate on a bicycle. it will not be a fun experience, more of a hair-raising experience.

I'd suggest taking some other form of transportation. Taxis are cheap. Buses are even cheaper. There are plenty of both. The metro is the fastest way around the traffic logjam on the streets above.

Enjoy Beijing!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:44 PM

I think it is just a matter of comfort. Yes, people in China do not observe rules. Once you understand this and use your common sense, it is really not that bad biking in China. Actually I felf more nervous riding a bike when I first came to the States years ago 'cause I had to constantly worry about cars passing me by. As the last post pointed out, there is a lane for bikers in most Beijing Streets (not the Hutong though. However there are less cars in Hutong). Be extra cautious when you cross streets. The rest of the ride should be fairly easy.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:53 AM

While I still cycle in the Chinese countryside, nothing would induce me to do it in Beijing, even though a former resident and fully familiar with the insanity and utter selfishness of Chinese driving. Budget travellers still do it sometimes (and the day rental of an ordinary bike should be no more than Y10 or so) but it's not for the sane, short-term visitor. And the situation is getting worse all the time in Beijing.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:36 AM

I have to agree that things are indeed getting worse in Beijing. Several years ago when I went back to Beijing, one of my friends insisted me cycle with her. She was surprised that I was quite uneased with others' agressive behavior. I found out that I could still handle the traffic, with a little bit more time spent though as it took me longer to cross a street than before.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Go ahead but it is a good way to die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Taxi rides are hair-raizing