Search

Attn Kruger experts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn Kruger experts

We are planiing to visit SA next fall.A few days in Capetown, garden route, wine country , then fly to Jberg. Picking up a rental car we want to drive to the Kruger area. Plan to stop in Blyde Cannon area. We have 2 nights at Elephant plains in a rondevel , and are looking for something of similar price and comfort in the park, Has anyone stayed at Nkambeni? Any other suggestions in another area? We need electricity as DH uses a breathing machine at night. Any other suggestions are welcomed.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Since you have a car you can drive around Kruger yourself, at your own interest and pace. Nkambeni will take you around Kruger but they (I'd bet) are restricted to staying on the Kruger roads like you are and everyone else. Nkambeni has 150 (yes,150!) luxury tents for guests. The question I'd have is how well are they organized to service so many guests, maybe 300. I also would be interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed there.

Soooo, I'm suggesting you stay at a Kruger rest camp in one of the camps huts/bungalows. Comfortable private hut costs around $70 USD per night for two persons. You drive yourself around Kruger. We have done this twice, in 2006 and 2007. Here is link to my Fodor's 2007 trip report -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35083850
We also did a little touring around the Blythe Canyon and Hoedspruit areas.
regards - tom
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Agree with Tom, why not stay in a Kruger camp. All (except the wilderness camps) have electricity, comfortable well equipped rooms and some good restaurants.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM

km
is there a reason for staying at EP only for 2 nights?

based on my experiences 2 nights in one lodge is by far too little.

instead of changing venues i would rather try to extend the EP stay to 4 or 5 nights.

a friend of mkine spent there 14 (!) days last sep and was extremely pleased.

despite some times you hear EP's concession is by far too tiny to spend more nights there - i would not say so.

of course you can drive and stay around in some of the san camps within the park.
but frankly - that is a matter of luck whether you see much game.
you can be lucky but also opposite.

staying in a private concession in greater krueger as e.g. EP micht be (most probably) much more rewarding.

div
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 04:13 AM

km

oops forgot - i am by far NOT an expert on krueger because we did only let's say 15 safaris and spend almost 50 nights in private concessions and gahthered info from friends who spent also days on end within krueger.
one spent a week in satara and surrounds in july 2007 and did not see ONE of the big cats.

all a matter of luck as it's wildlife ....

div