Marriott Kaui/Marriott Wailea/Outrigger Reef on the Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone help me? I have to choose a Oahu hotel - for some reason, Outrigger Reef of the Beach has AWESOME reviews on trip advisor....does this place really live up to that? Also, I am still uncertain about Kauai or Maui as my 2nd island stay. Nevertheless, I am wondering about the Marriott Kaui as opposed to the Marriott Wailea. Which one offers more shopping/reasonable dining experiences at a close vicinity to the hotel....I do not want to be bored and secluded for a week?
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 07:34 PM

Some friends of mine have stayed there a couple of times & they had a really nice room with a good view.

It probably warrants good reviews, not awesome.

Outrigger Reef is undergoing some construction right now.

There is also some construction across the street where Trump Tower is going up.

If you are looking for a great deal there, you can find it because of the construction.

Outrigger Reef is close to Ft. DeRussy & the new Waikiki Beachwalk.

Here is a link to some of the construction in Hawaii hotels including Outrigger Reef:

http://travel-hawaii.com/hawaii_hotel_construction.html

Can't help you with the Maui/Kauai question.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:02 PM

If you're referring to upscale shopping, would choose Wailea over Kaua`i, though dining in Wailea @ resort $-), would be more reasonable on Kaua`i.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:58 PM

The Marriott Wailea is a beautiful property. There are shops and restaurants nearby. But, I love Kauai so it is a toss-up!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM

Just went to Kauai yesterday, on a day trip from HNL. LOVED it!!! We drove past the Marriott. The location requires a car to get to shopping, I would think. Shopping is in Lihui area. Other places on the island, ie Hanalei Bay, have some little shops selling t-shirts and seashells and jewelry, but maybe not what you want.

If I went to Kauai for a week (which I don't think I'd do, since I really like all the activity on Oahu best) I would want to stay near shopping myself!!! I'd also get bored... I love "being" on a beach, but I'm not a beach person per se, I don't swim. Sleeping in the shade on my beach chair would get old after a day or two...

I prefer Kauai over Maui.

I am at the Princess Kaiulani on Waikiki. This hotel is fine, but I think next year I'd stay maybe at the Marriott, which is not far from here, but in a quieter location. We are on the "other side" of the street from the beach, and we are right next to the International Market Place. I can see the new Trump Tower going up, and I definitely hear construction here!!! I've stayed at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach, but that was back in the late 90s. We enjoyed it; but after staying in other locations along Waikiki, I think I prefer the eastern end of the beach over the western end. I've also stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (Ali'i Tower) a couple of times. It's more peaceful... but a bit of a walk to all the activity on Kalakaua Ave. IMO.

What about the Waikiki Outrigger? It's right across the street from us, on the beach side. Looks very nice.

Flying back to Chicago this afternoon... sniffle, sniffle.... I hope the weather there isn't a shock after being out here in Hawaii for a week.

Carol

Have a great trip.