Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Whitewater Rafting, Elephant Ride Safari and Microlight Flights in Victoria Falls

Whitewater Rafting, Elephant Ride Safari and Microlight Flights in Victoria Falls

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to get advise from people that have done either whitewater raft, microlight flights or elephant ride safaris in Victoria Falls. How was the experience?

I will be there with my wife and would like to know how dangerous the whitewater raft and microlight are. I think it considered grade 5 rapids and the microlight appears quite adventurous. Opinions on whether the elephant ride safari was worth it would also be appreciated.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Jet setter,
I did the whitewater rafting trip at the Falls quite some time ago...in fact it was before they instituted crash helmets after someone died.

It's definately somewhat risky but it was incredible...they're not joking when they state there are grade five rapids, in fact I think it may be one of the few places that there are commercial trips for beginners over such large rapids.

I loved it. We picked a raft with an oarsman rather than the rafts where you paddle along with the guide. We sat clinging on for our lives on the back of the raft (which we had been assured was the safest location) and were thrown out several times into what is a churning river! It was great, incredibly exhilerating.

It's definately frightening but they have expert kayakers following the rafts to make sure anyone who is thrown out is fine. I should have prefaced my recommendation by admiting to being a bit of an adrenaline junkie as I have parachuted a couple of times!

We stopped for lunch at a half way point and relaxed for an hour...at the end there is a gruelly walk directly up the canyon which is quite exhasting.

I loved the rafting trip but when I was back at the Falls on my honeymoon a few years later...and perhaps a few years wiser, I didn't go again! My husband didn't fancy it after I mentioned the falling out bit!

We didn't do the microlighting although if you take a small plane flight out to one of the safari camps they may well fly over the Falls for you...Looking down at the Falls from above is magical ...you can see the sray rising up and it gives one a sense for how dry the land is all around. I think I would have been very nervous in a microlight but the small plane was wonderful.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 11:14 AM

My roomate took the microlight flight and had no problems and she was not a very brave soul.She got some spectacular pictures. Another in our group who had recently had a stroke also flew around and said it was wonderful. I went in the helicopter and thought I had died and gone to heaven.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Jet_Setter,

I have done two out of the three activities: whitewater rafting and the ultralight. Both are terrific and well worth the money.

Just so you are prepared...the whitewater rafting itself is stimulating and incredibly fun. However, be aware that the climb out of the gorge at the end of the rafting is not for the faint-of-heart. We had some older women in our group and they had to be carried out...they couldn't make the hike. And I did it nice and slow!

Ultralighting is fabulous! You go over the falls...imagine seeing an incredible rainbow misting over the falls as well as the overall lay of the land. From the air, we saw a pod of hippos in the Zambezi river as well as an elephant herd. It was great!

Have fun!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Just returned from Zim. We did the whitewater rafting, sunset cruise and the elephant ride.
The climb in and out of the gorge is a lot harder than the actual rafting. The rafting was pretty rough, how often you end up in the water, really depends on the guide you get. Rest assured you will be tossed in the water at least a few times. Wear tennis shoes! We picked up a few swimmers whose shoes we saw fly by, even though they were attached sandals. The water is quite intense. I wouldnt recommend it for anyone who is not a good swimmer, but we had a great time!
Elephant ride is fun, you are on the back of an elephant for an hour, relaxing and peaceful.
Sunset cruise is great as well.
If you go, eat at Mama Africa--they have a great jazz band at night.