Search

Last Minute Mexico/Oaxaca

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Mexico/Oaxaca

IF we can find flights, we'd love to take our four teenage daughters for Mexico for New Year's. Oaxaca sounds wonderful to me. Your thoughts as to where to stay? Or -- any other recommendations elsewhere? However, we're not interested in Cancun, Cozumel, etc. Looking for scenery, culture, maybe ruins, maybe beach or pool, markets. . .I know it's late in the game, but I'd love some help.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Although Oaxaca is wonderful and offers everything you are looking for except the beach, I think you will have difficulty finding flights and good hotels that are not fully booked. Flights may be available at top prices. It's likely that any hotel or B&B recommended on here will be fully booked. Good luck anyway!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Sorry I mean they have the picture of a little plane....We got the tickets in Orbitz and got a good rate in MExicana. Good luck.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:28 PM

Explanation, I wrote a long reply which was lost here it goes again.
We recently went to OAxaca and had a wonderful time. The Las Bugambilias , B&B was excellent.
The family has more than one and surele they can help you out. They are lovely people.
For transportation, you can fly either to OAxaca or to Mexico City. You can take a taxi from the Airport to TApO, the Oriente Bus Terminal, the good guys are in a booth and are called
Sitio 300, ( warning there are also bad guys in the booth now), the buy terminal is very near to the airport.
Best buses to Oaxaca are called UNO, you can buy by phone the ticket from the US.
Also good buses are ADO DL. also you can buy the tickets by phone.
From bus terminal in Oaxaca to las
Buganvilias, fare is 30 pesos.Taxis are dark red.
We had an absolutely lovely time call them or write them right now there are always cancelations.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 04:54 AM

I did not go last year for new years, but I was there the three years prior. I was always able to find something. All the bed and breakfasts and well know places will, most likeley, be booked. All around the Zocalo area, however, there are lots of basic places. You will be able to find something. By the way, New Years is a pretty busy time. The Zocalo will be full of booths with people selling stuff. Once you hit January 6th, El dia de los tres reyes, everything calms down again. Wish I could make it this year- have fun