Disagrement needs solving. Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me, I value all your opinions and advice and love this board. It keeps me dreaming of Hawaii! Here is my thing, we are planning Nov/04 return to Hawaii. My husband and I are at a point of dissention about length of stay and where. We can agree on the last 10 days at the 4Seasons Big Island. Intially we thought we would start the trip with a week in Waikiki as it has been a few years since we have been and my husband wants to take the kids to Haunauma Bay. I started to thinking about the lack of elaborate pools, the level of energy, the mega shopping and how this is not in sync with having the kids in tow. I came up with the brilliant idea of skipping Waikiki and flying directly into Maui and doing maybe 5 days at the 4Seasons there. We have not stayed in Wailea before, only Kihei many years ago. We were in Kaanapali spring/03 so that is not for us on this trip. What would you do if this was your choice to make? My hubby is leaning toward Waikiki from a sentimantal point of view, he keeps walking up to me and whispering things in my ear like "the Shorebird", "Kaneohe Bay", etc...I like the idea of a more relaxed resort type stay on Maui/BI. My kids will be 7 and almost 5 at the time we would be going.What would you do? Mahalo for any advice...
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Although I lived in Hawaii, it has been too long for me to give an opinion on islands and hotels. But as a wife, I would say that if he is going around whispering things in your ear, he is telling you in a very sweet way what he wants. Since it is his holiday too, I would work with it..go where he wants to go but maybe just spend half the time. There is something about the place that is appealing to him, go, he will either see that he was right and all of you will enjoy it or not. But if you resist, he might always wonder if it would have been great, but YOU didn't let him go
You could do 3-4 days in Waikiki, how important is an 'elaborate' pool, the children are so young, I think they might not be so demanding of the perfect pool for that short amount of time. Then you can go on to the Four Seasons and relax.
Good luck, whatever you decide. How bad can it be?
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 07:09 AM
LN

I completely agree with Scarlett!! Go along with hubby - the rest of the trip can only be great.... Hubby will find many ways to say "thank you".
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Do you have to stay in Waikiki? Can you stay elsewhere, maybe on the n. shore and still visit all the places your hubby is longing for?
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM

The way I see it, 10 days at the 4$ Hualalai on the BI would be like ODing on pure, relaxing bliss! 5 days at the 4$ Wailea just before would be overkill. Mix it up and visit Oahu while also appeasing your husband's desires.

But as bogart suggests, I don't know if I'd want to spend all 5 days at Waikiki (my personal limit is 2). I'd consider the relatively new Marriott Ko Olina or a North Shore rental.

All I know is I'm envious Alohamom! 8-)
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Putting aside marital bliss, and after just coming back from maui/kauai, i agree with you. We stayed one night in Waikiki (since our flight department from honolulu) and after the quaintness and calmness of maui and kauai, i found honolulu and waikiki AWFUL. It was crowded, noisy and could have been miami or any other big city in the u.s. (and I'm from Miami and like it).

That's just my opinion.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Alohamom,

Waikiki is indeed a really, really busy place with lots of traffic and crowds as i'm sure you know. I'm more of a Maui, Kauai, Big Island type of person as well, but, I think a trip to Oahu could be really fun after all that laid back, R&R time on The Big Island.

The Kahala Mandarin is an easy 10-15 minute drive (surface streets only) from Waikiki, but it feels like a world away and has more of the relaxed resort feel you're looking for. They've got a pretty nice sheltered beach and a smallish, but very nice pool.

There's so much stuff to do in Oahu that could be fun for a 5 & 7 year old as well. Although Pearl Harbor might be a bit serious for the kids, the WWII submarine and Battleship Missouri are nearby and are really fun experiences. The big waves are starting up at North Shore soon, maybe you can split your time between Waikiki/Honolulu area and Turtle Bay Resort up at the North Shore if you prefer not to be so close to the crowds most of the week.

Whatever you choose, i'm sure you'll have a great time!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Take a look at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club (http://www.vacationclub.com/en-us/vc...KO/default.asp) on the quiet West shore of Oahu. New resort (Jan. 2003) is on 4 white sand lagoons, three pools, hot tub, exercise facilities, sauna, steam baths, full kitchens. Note thaat tiss is a time share condo and has no restaurant only a outdoor grill/bar open for lunch & dinner, the JW Marriott Ihilani next door has restaurants and spa for your usage. Marina next door has a great catamaran/snorkel sail. If you want the husstle of Waikiki it's only 30 minutes away on H1, Pearl Harbor 20 minutes, and close to the H2 to get to the north shore. Stayed there Sept 20th and had the best of times. Try it for a different look at Oahu.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 12:10 PM

My favorite island is Maui, but I think starting your trip in Waikiki would work well. We just visited Maui and Oahu in August (5 days each). My 7 and 4 year olds actually enjoyed Waikiki and Oahu. We stayed at a lovely condo at the Aston Waikiki Beach Towers. It's right across the street from Waikiki beach--wonderful view, great location, and superb service. The pool there was small, cold, and not very well kept. But, as my kids are not strong swimmers, we don't care much for elaborate pools anyways. My kids loved the beach in front of the condo. Because of the rocks/shore break, they could wade out into the water and even jump some little waves. We took a trip to Hanauma Bay. Get there early. We arrived at 8 one morning, only to find the parking lot full. We ended up driving to out to Kailua Beach. We took some beautiful pictures there (cannot believe that beach is on Oahu). Went back to Hanauma Bay at 6 the next morning. My girls were still a little too young for the full snorkel experience. Perhaps yours are better swimmers. We also went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. BIG HIT with the kids. They LOVED going around getting tatoos, playing with the poi balls, taking pictures will all of the "natives." The luau was fun; the night show was a little long for the 4 year old, but the older one loved it. Other than that, we hung out a lot at the beach. Shopped. My kids loved the aquarium with the walk through tunnel at the duty free store, liked visiting ABC stores and the International Marketplace to find cheap souveniers to bring home (they, in particular, loved the cheap "puka shell necklaces." My husband and I love Oahu for the food. Alan Wongs was a delicious, special meal--no kids menu, but they made a special pasta for them. We also love the local eats--Ono Hawaiian foods and Leonards malasadas on Kapahulu are favorites. We bought the malasadas, warm and delicious, just about every morning we were there. All-in-all, I think Waikiki can work for kids. All the hustle and bustle will be a nice contrast to the peace and tranquility that you'll follow it with at the 4Seasons Big Island (which I'm hoping to visit when I can figure out a way to save up enough money)...
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Alot of people who visit hawaii have a pre conceived idea of what is like and I did to. My idea was of oahu was the comercial and the hawaii i grew up seeing on tv and you know what it lived up to every part and more. It was very busy and somewhat loud, las vegas style but with diamond head and the beach allways reminding you you are in a special place. And it really put me in an hawaiian mood , i guess due to my expectations. Make waikiki 4 nites and enjoy the tourist feel. nick
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:56 PM

Aloha, mom,

I don't know how late in Nov you'll be in HI, BUT, we were there last Nov the week after Thanksgiving, and the Triple Crown of Surfing Championship was happening on the north shore of Oahu....
it was phenominal! We could've sat on the beach the entire duration of our trip! Your kids would love to see it.

Obviously, the competitions were dependant upon the surf ( 20 ft. swells while we were there made conditions perfect), but maybe consider a stay on the north shore for a few days...

We stayed at Ke Iki Beach Bungalows, a small family run resort, very clean, with second to none oceanfront crashing surf to lull you to sleep. No pool... so if you need a full service resort try Turtle Beach Resort.

Great time, great walks on the beach to the competitions, and opportunities to meet & get autographs from the surfing greats. We watched Andy Irons crowned Champion ... what fun!

Whatever you decide, many best wishes.

Aloha!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Alohamom If you go to Waikiki there is plenty to do with your children. Honolulu Zoo is great as tony the tiger would say. The two aquariams is fine educational. You can do the Submarine trip. I am sure there are more places to go since my last trip to Hawaii. Good luck on your vacation I am going back this year to.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I'm with almost everyone else who has given you advice. Aside from the marital bliss aspect, I'm willing to bet your children are going to like Waikiki better than they will the 4 Seasons, especiallly if you branch out a bit.

The International Market Place in Waikiki is kind of touristy for adults but my kids loved it. As someone else mentioned, the zoo is close and is always a fun visit for kids. The sheltered water at Waikiki Beach is easy on the kids and allows them to indulge themselves in the water without putting them at much risk (but keep an eye on them. Any amount of water can be dangerous in the right (wrong) circumstances).

Haunama Bay is great fun for the kids and it sounds like your husband enjoys it too. Further north, the Polynesian Cultural Center was always a fun visit for my kids. My daughter treasures a photo we have of her with a Mauri (sp?) warrior in full regalia.

In November, the north shore surf will likely be very impressive and your kids (and husband) will probably enjoy watching the surfers on improbably high waves.

I lived in Hawaii for three years while I was in the Air Force and have visited many times since. While I enjoy the outer islands, I always think any visit is incomplete without at least a short visit to Oahau.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 01:17 PM
bonniebroad

Let's listen to our wise Scarlett here! I totally agree with her........ it is obviously important for your DH to go to Oahu (and I personally LOVE Oahu...... as well as all the other islands.) I'm sure your DH will thank you many times over..........
Did you know Hanauma Bay has been named the #1 beach this year by Dr. Beach, BTW?

I think the Kahala Mandarin Oriental would be a good choice for your hotel, since it's a bit away from the "busy"......... and of course, there is so much for kids to do on Oahu. I think, with kids ages 5 & 7, they have a wonderful time doing whatever you really enjoy doing WITH them.

Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide!

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 01:36 PM

You all are very nice to be trying to help out alohamom, but take a look at the OP -- she posted this thread last October. Allyoop, was there some particular reason that you revived this thread today?
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:33 PM

I agree with bonniebroad and scarlett, go to waikiki we just returned from spring break. we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village with 2 kids...loved it. we also went to the Kahala Mandarin and the hotel was ok but the beach was perfect and a nice pool. also a nice little neighborhood drive away from the main part of waikiki. try not to focus to much on the crowds, once you settle in to your hotel or hanauma bay, which by the way i think is one of the most beautiful beaches. you can have a good time in waikiki, we did and are going back...good luck
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Ditto on the Hilton Hawaiian Village with kids...Polynesian Culture Center, North Shore. Your children will love it. The Outrigger also has a kid's club, don't know alot about it, but you may want to research it.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Anonymous - Although the initial message was posted in October '03, Alohamom says that the trip is planned for November '04. Unless she's already made her decision, any response would/might still be welcome.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM

I believe that Waikiki would be a better choice. Many more choices of things to do to keep children amused and, as others have already mentioned, husband happy. The one thing that I am always surprised at when people say they dislike Waikiki is that these people are not "getting" Hawaii. We have always found that it is the aloha spirit of the people who live and work in Hawaii that makes this one of the most special places in the world. Believe me Waikiki is NOT MIAMI (thank goodness). Anyway, you really should be able to find much to do in Honolulu and in Oahu. We stay at the Halekulani which though in the middle of Waikiki is absolutely a haven. Very Very special, like Hualalai.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Just returned from the 4S maui and loved it and the wailea area. was much more impressed with it than Waikiki. to me, Waikikki was like Miami Beach with a volcano but just 7 hours farther away from me than Miami.

But just my opinion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -