Do people go to RI in Dec?

Old May 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do people go to RI in Dec?

This may sound like a real silly question but do people visit RI in Dec. I am considering visiting in Dec after our trip to Orlando. This will be our first time and no. we cant do it in autumn although we wished we could. Can anyone advise if this is really a waste to time and money?
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:34 AM

Not many. Are you willing to go there and end up staying in your hotel room due to a major snowstorm coming in? IT could be very cold and snowing. Or you could get very lucky and have good weather. Much of the draw to RI is being on the water. It is very unlikely to be enjoyable to be near the water in Dec. I would rather wait until spring to come to RI and then enjoy it.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM

I believe that the mansions in Newport are decorated for Christmas. It might be quite pretty to be in Newport then.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:25 AM

It's defjnitely not the busiest time of year for tourism but in Newport, you'll still see many people coming down for weekend get-a-ways. The mansions are lavishly decorated for the holidays.

Check out:
www.christmasinnewport.org
for an idea of what was going on last year.

I wouldn't consider is a "waste" of money, as there are plenty of deals for lodging and dining that time of year. Most restaurants and stores are open.
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Snow unlikely in Dec.

Like bennnie says, the Newport mansions are all decorated. And no crowds, parking is free, etc...
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Newport is fabulous in December -
very unlikely to have snow -
we have done in a few times over the years -

the mansions are beautiful - there are often several concerts and special events to choose from -

the stores are all open and often have evening with snacks/cider and the Newport yachting Center used to do a huge Christmas tree next to their skating rink -

Other attractions are still worth seeing also - things you might hesitate to spend much time in if you were there in the summer - we spent a week every summer in Newport for over 14 years until last summer - and often it would be hard to convince family to do "inside" things when the weather was great -

so now, you likely won't be sailing the harbor at sunset - but you can:

enjoy the Newport Art Museum
Mansions
Touro Synagogue - oldest in America
International Tennis Hall of Fame -
a great building, and museum -

If you will have a car, do the Ocean Drive -

oceandrivenewport.com

visit gonewport.com

there is plenty to do !
and great restaurants too

Consider staying at the Frances Malbone - a wonderful B & B -

Old May 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM
yk

ditto what others said.

The mansions in Newport are nicely decorated for X'mas. Fewer mansions are open during winter season though.

When I went over a decade ago, I recall they offered X'mas cookies and egg nog (free) at the end of the tour!

http://www.newportmansions.org
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM

The only time I visited Newport was during the month Of March - very cold, raw, etc. - and we still had a great time. We did most on escargot's list, ate in great restaurants and stayed in a lovely inn with fireplaces, afternoon tea, etc.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM

You know in advance the weather won't be warm and balmy ... However .. there is much to see and weather can be an issue no matter when you travel .. If you are tired of Newport .. you can travel to .. Providence which is close by .. The rates will be wonderful at that time .. crowds no where to be found .. I have a friend who is a travel agent and insists on traveling off season .. best rates .. and she often gets lucky with the weather .. Providence has some wonderful restaurants .. Smphony etc .. Also you aren't all that far from Boston and/or NYC ...
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Too many amazing restaurants to list.
Newport & RISD Art museum. RISD and other art/crafts show (one of the best).
Not sure when the Water fires and Zoo stop for the year.
Many historical tours and Xmas celebrations, as said, in Newport, Providence and Wickford.

Bundle up and check out the shoreline - Ocean Dr. in Newport is fabulous. Have chowder and a toddy in a pub with a fireplace after.

As said, It's highly unlikely that you'll see snow in the coastal areas.
Occasionally you may see snow in the western snow belt areas.