One day in Calgary, travelling alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have only one day in Calgary next week and I'm not sure what to do. I'll be on my own (I'm female) and I'd really like to do something interesting. I'll already have hiked one day in Banff with a friend. I thought about going to West Edmonton Mall. Is that reasonable from Calgary or is there something else that isn't to be missed. Oh, this will be my first time visiting Alberta.

Sorry to be so vague but I'm open to lots of suggestions. Thanks!

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Linusbear,

Lots of wonderful things to do in Calgary, attached a web site to help you out. Some of my favorites, Heritage Park (1800 setting of Calgary), Glenbow Museum, Fort Calgary, Science Centre, Calgary Tower, Spruce Meadows (National Horse Jumping Competition June 4 - 8)

Enjoy!

www.calgaryattractions.com/
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:54 PM

The West Edmonton Mall is a three hour drive away from Calgary so that would make for a really long day. Another great spot is the Calgary Zoo.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:20 AM

There's also the fantastic Tyrrell (dinosaur) Museum near Drumheller, you could rent a car (1 hr 30 minutes drive from Calgary).

www.tyrrellmuseum.com/home/
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:14 AM

Linusbear, if you decide to visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum, your trip will take you past vast flat prairies - very different from the Rockies. Stop at Horseshoe Canyon in the Canadian badlands and do a bit of hiking, too. (Take lots of water with you. It's hot and dry.) We saw cacti blooming in late June! Depending on how much time you have, consider seeing the HooDoos - mushroom-like rock formations. We did this as a day trip from Calgary before venturing into the Rockies. I was with my husband and daughter, but would not hesitate to do it by myself.