Search

Travel from Edinburgh to Dundee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel from Edinburgh to Dundee

Hi,
In January I will travel by plane to Edinburgh. Then I will travel to Dundee.
Who knows if there is a train station at the airport of Edinburgh??
If not, how far is the nearest station and which station is that??
Thanks!!!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Hi Paulus - there is not a train station at the airport, but an airport bus will take you to both Haymarket and Edinburgh Waverley stations, from where you can travel to Dundee.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 06:15 AM

I should Have said, the bus to Waverley takes about 25 minutes and costs £3.00 one way.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM

From Waverly station to Dundee is about 1 hour 15 minutes train trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:07 AM

There are currently major works ongoing at Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station (work started Dec 2006 and due to be completed late 2007) and this is affecting a number of services including the Edinburgh - Dundee - Aberdeen service. It would appear that that train service now starts at Haymarket Railway station and anyone arriving at Edinburgh Waverley Station for that service are being taken by bus from Edinburgh Waverley to Haymarket Railway Station.
In view of this it would be beneficial for you to take the dedicated airport bus into Edinburgh (return Fare £5 single fare £3) but ensure that you get off at Haymarket Railway Station rather than continue to the Waverley Bridge / Waverley Railway Station.
Information about affected services at and from Waverley Railway Station can be found at www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/ gf/haymarket-connections.pdf
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM

You could take the Airdirect 747 bus to Inverkeithing & get a train there - it's the same service as from Edinburgh
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
twk

Related question in light of info on construction at Waverly:

I will be taking the train from London to Edinburgh in June, and picking up a car at an airport rental location (don't want to drive in town, if possible). Does the London train go to both stations, and, if so, which one should I select for getting off the train to make the quickest trip to the airport area (probably by taxi--will have 3 in our party).
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM

<<< Does the London train go to both stations >>>

There are 3 sets of services from London, the Virgintrains service which goes up the West coast and has to pass through Haymarket in order to reach Waverley.

Then there is the GNER service which goes up the east coast but most of them only go to Waverley then stop. Some continue onto Haymarket on their way to Aberdeen / Inverness / Glasgow.

Then there is the sleeper service run by Scotrail which takes some really funny route up the West coast.

In any case the "major works" at Wavelerly aren't too much of an inconvenice to passengers so get off at either Haymarket or Waverley depending on whcih one you reach first, don't book a train just because it goes from Haymarket
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM

I have to ask.... WHY are you going to Dundee?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sheila beat me to it . . . .
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM

....and me too!!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Oh for goodness sake - lots of people live in or near Dundee or have friends in Dundee - why SHOULDN'T he go to Dundee? I speak as an "almost" Dundonian who gets sick to death of hearing the bagpipes every time I step off the train in Edinburgh - at least in Dundee Paulus will get an idea of what it is REALLY like to live in Scotland....
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:54 AM

You're right, poor soul.

I am genuinely interested, actually Betty. My maternal gradparents and aunts are all Dundonians; and I've done some good work on here for incoming students.

But, let's face, it, it's hardly a tourism destination. A step above Motherwell, but.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 03:36 AM
DDA

While you are discussing this route, I have a few questions. From what I read, it sounded as though the Waverly station was just closed for a few days due to the derailment. Did I miss something?
We will be traveling from Edinburgh to Leuchars in later Feb. Will we have to go from the Haymarket Station? If we are traveling on a Sunday morning, can we just walk up and get a ticket, or should we buy the tickets online ahead of time? Thanks for any help.