Itinerary help for France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm making my first trip to France on the 6th July for 16 days and plan on staying Paris just enough days to cover major landmarks and attractions with a day trip to Epernay and Reims and also Versailles. Aside from Colmar and Annecy, we would love to explore Southern France but can't seem to draw up a workable itinerary. It's just my partner and I traveling, so a romantic getaway would be superb! Your help is much appreciated!! Thanks very much!
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 07:28 AM

<<but can't seem to draw up a workable itinerary>>

Why not? There's a world of guidebooks and maps and internet sites out there to help you.

So you want to spend enough time in Paris to "cover major landmarks and attractions." How much time is that, in your opinion? Do major landmarks include Versailles? Then you've got Epernay and Reims as daytrips - one daytrip or two, or an overnight in Champagne to see them both?

Then you want to explore southern France (where in southern France? It's enormous), but first want to head due east to Alsace?

You don't say how you intend to transport yourselves from place to place. That will make a big difference. You also don't mention anything about your interests, so no one can pull out a crystal ball and make suggestions for you.

Suggest you study maps, read guidebooks, and peruse the internet and come back when you have at least some sort of plan. Plans can always be tweaked.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 07:33 AM

So you want enough days in Paris for two day trips plus time to cover "major landmarks and attractions." I'm not sure what you consider to be the major landmarks and attractions in Paris, but I'd say there is at least a week's worth, depending on your interests. So that would take up 10 days of your time. Take a look at a good guidebook and see what the major attractions would be for you.

I'd suggest you choose one area of France for your other days, rather than moving around much. Plenty of areas to choose from, such as Alsace or Provence, and there would be plenty to do/see there for you other 6 days, then back to Paris for your last night before your flight home.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Taking Colmar and Annecy as non-negotiable, there is plenty to see between them, and would consider an open jaw arriving in Paris and returning from Geneva.

To whet your appetite:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7624529919999/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7623045335898/

You could rent a car in Paris and drop it off in Geneva; checkout autoeurope.com
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 07:45 AM

Try looking at rome2rio.com. It will give you an idea of how long it will take to get from place to place, and it might help with your planning. You don't want to rush from place to place and not have a chance to enjoy anything.

I agree that Paris, plus one other area will give you time to really enjoy. I've always found that there are really interesting places just around the corner....and they aren't necessarily "famous", but fascinating nevertheless.