Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Two days in LA with two teens - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving down the coast of CA from San Francisco to Los Angeles in March for spring break (myself, husband and two teens). I did a similar trip with my parents as a teen so have some ideas but still open to ideas. At this point for our two days in LA area we plan a studio tour - Paramount or MGM? Also a general around town tour (Hollywood sign, etc) and my husband wants to visit the LaBrea Tar Pits. Looking into tickets for Ellen or Jimmy Kimmel as well (any tips other than what's listed on their websites)?

What do you think? Any thoughts, tips or suggestions? Would like to check our Beverly Hills as well. We are renting a house so accommodations are taken care of.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 05:40 PM

We have enjoyed the California Science Center and Griffith Observatory with our teens and their friends, ages 12-18. They are pretty playful teens, boys and girls. Both places are free for general admission, fees for special exhibits or movies. Liked the Science Center the best since it was hands on. Observatory is an iconic building. Went to the Getty Center this past month with teens and it was nice, wonderful really, but lots and lots of art of course. However, the Getty Center was not a place for teens to horse around at all if they are full of energy.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 07:45 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We are renting a house so accommodations are taken care of.

Where is it?
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Rental is off Melrose between Hollywood & West Hollywood. Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
With that location and only two days I frankly wouldn't venture very far. The Tar Pits are easy, and you could visit the LA County Art Museum while you're in the area. You should visit the old LA Farmers Market, which is across the street from the CBS studios (Price is Right etc.) or have a nosh at Canter's deli (on Fairfax). Regarding Beverly Hills, I'd plan on breakfast one of the mornings at Nate 'n Al's on Beverly Avenue - usually decent celebrity spotting, albeit an older generation.

Personally I'd pick the Paramount tour, but I'd also plan at least one movie night, preferably at the Chinese Theater, but I'd also look at Egyptian Theater (equally grand) to see what's going on during your stay.

Assuming you're flying out of LAX, I'd also spend a few hours in the beach towns south of the airport. Maybe walk out the Manhattan Beach pier, or have breakfast or lunch at Martha's 22nd Street Grill in Hermosa Beach, followed by a walk-off-the-calories stroll on the beachfront Strand a few steps away. You'll be plotting on which bank to rob so you can buy one of these houses.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
On Wilshire, near LACMA and the Tar Pits, there are lots of little ethnic restaurants that are good. It's the "Miracle Mile" section of Wilshire.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:22 PM

I'd do the tour at either Paramount or Warner Bros, MGM is now owned by SONY.
Teens might like the Petersen Automotive Museum, they have some really cool exhibits.
Gardyloo has some good suggestions for visiting the South Bay beach towns. Cute towns and restaurants, watch the surfers and beach volleyball players.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 02:25 PM

Have gone on both the Paramount and Warner Brothers studio tours and enjoyed both.

For teens, will echo the recommendations of the California Science Center and La Brea Tar Pits Museum. Would also suggest a stroll up the boardwalk from Venice Beach to the Santa Monica Pier or the Natural History Museum (the latter is close by the California Science Center). If they like art, agree that either the Getty or LACMA are good options.

Wasn’t overly taken with Griffith Observatory, though your kids might like a planetarium show.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 03:54 PM

I think the kids would enjoy the sights on the Venice boardwalk; you can bike down easily from Santa Monica along the pathway. There's nothing quite like Venice Beach!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 07:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion, this is the best unsung museum in the L.A. area....Great tour...and it's free...see their website for days they're open. Nethercutt Museum and Collection...Great for kids and adults. Musical instruments that pllay are mind blowing. From my report..."Some of these European Orchestrations covered an entire wall and sounded like a symphony orchestra was playing inside the room. You have to visit to experience it. Words do these Orchestrations…and the incredible music they play…no justice."

My report below has numerous photos so you can see what it's all about (about a half hour drive from where you'll be staying.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/nethercutt-museum-collection-sylmar/

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 06:53 PM

When we went to LA with teens, we did the Universal/harry Potter deal--lots of fun. We spent waaaay too long in the Peterson Auto Museum--but an hour or so is cool. And it is near the La Brea tar pits. We did the Warner Bros studio tour--that was really fun. I would skip the Science Center--the shuttle is cool but you just walk around it. My kids were not that impressed.