Is Sarnath worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

We're in Varanasi for two nights, less than two days of visiting. We want to spend time on the river both in the morning and evening, watching the various ceremonies, was well as walking the ghats. We like to get a "flavor" of the places we visit and with only a day and a half in Varanasi, we want to make the most of it.

Our travel agent, Castle & King, is recommending that we see Sarnath. Based on wanting to maximize our time on the ghats, is it a must-see? They're also recommending that we visit the Batuk Bhairav Mandir which it looks like we can walk to and combine with a walk to the Assi Ghat, so that might work for us.

You've all been so helpful; what are your thoughts, especially about Sarnath?

Thanks in advance,
Ellen
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's very hard to answer that question - it's very personal. For my husband, who has a strong interest in Buddhism and history in general, it was very interesting to see a place that figures in the origins of Buddhism. I enjoyed it at as well and especially enjoyed the small museum that is on the grounds. So yes, I do think it's worth it. Would you feel that you missed something, though, if you didn't go? I don't think it's the type of experience, though, that you'd feel "deprived" missing - it isn't that kind of dramatic experience.

We also were there for 2 nights, yet ended up with almost 3 days of touring! We had more than enough time to visit Sarnath, too. The one full day started with an early boat ride (before sunrise) on the water to view the burning ghat, then a visit to the main Hindu temple and by 10am, we were back in our hotel having breakfast and taking a bit of a break. We probably drove to Sarnath in the early afternoon and returned in the later afternoon, so you more than likely have enough time to do everything. You should have plenty of time to walk along the ghats.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What progol said. If you have any interest at all in Buddhism, surely it is a must see. If you have none, it still takes less than half a day and gets you out of the cities.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 12:10 PM

Ditto to both of the above...
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 08:24 PM

I agree that Sarnath is totally worth seeing. As much as Varanasi is one of my favorite cities in India, it is gritty, and there are ashes in the air. Sarnath is a nice change, and the advantage being that the museum and the temple are right next to each other. You could possibly hire a driver to take you there, and wait for you. I would estimate that you could do the museum and temple justice in two hours, plus transportation time to and fro.

We actually went to Sarnath in the middle of the afternoon after arriving at the Varanasi airport. Our guide and driver took us there, but I felt our guide rushed us a bit through the museum. Truly, I prefer visiting museums without a guide, so I can read in peace.

Before you go, read "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse. It's quite short, so you could probably read it on the plane.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It sounds like we can make a decision once we're there. We do have a driver in Varanasi, so if the opportunity presents itself, we can choose to go. Thanks again for your wisdom!
Old May 25th, 2018, 05:56 AM

Sarnath is a quite popular tourist spot in Varanasi. Known as the place where the Lord Buddha came to give his first sermon after he attained enlightenment at Bodhgaya, Sarnath is definitely a must-visit place. A trip to Sarnath will definitely boost your spiritual beliefs and leave you in a peaceful state of mind. Sarnath is considered as one of the four holy Buddhist sites for pilgrimage.
Old May 25th, 2018, 01:31 PM

I've been to Varanasi a few times, and have never felt the need to go to Sarnath. My daughter went, but she spent a month in Varanasi. It sounds like you can make you decision there, so I'd wait. Make sure you spend some of your time down near Assi Ghat. It is a more relaxed area, and a good start for a morning or evening boat ride.
Old May 25th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Forum Moderator

The OP has already been.