Search

ITINERARY FOR JUNE 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITINERARY FOR JUNE 2018

HELLO

we are planning to travel to canada in the first week of june 2018. to be more precise we will be doing the vancouver/vancouver island part for about 7 days and then take a flight to calgary . once in calgary we plan to do the BANFF/LL/JASPER region for another 6-7 nights. we have a few doubts /questions listed below .

1) Is first half of june a good time to visit BANFF/LL/JASPER region?? because it seems the peak season starts from july .when i mean 'good time',whether the hikes will be open at that time of the year ?

2) since we are visiting in the month of june , will we able to do some skiing activity ?? if so which place will be better - JASPER/WHISTLER ?? please let us know if there are other options

3) how well in advance should we book the accommodation for june ??

4) The best car rental agencies in calgary ?? read that airport car rentals tend to be a lil expensive than the ones in the downtown . is that so ??

. All said , we would really appreciate some of the expert opinions for the questions that we have

thanks and cheers
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Someone can correct me but I believe the major ski locations like Whistler and Sunshine usually close the third week of May. You could probably find some glacier skiing after that but that is usually for experienced skiers.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM

1-Yes just fine still a bit frozen around the edges but grandeur abounds.

2-no skiing on offer either place-too late.

3-last month

4-read the TA reviews if you're from the UK look to Canadian Affair
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

THANKS @XCOUNTRY AND @SAM_SALMON
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 01:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider riding the ViaRail Canadian from Vancouver to Jasper.
It only runs 3 times a week. I've never flown in Canada but have been to Jasper several times in the past 16 years.
There are several car rental agencies within walking distance of the train station in Jasper. There is also a Brewster tour bus desk inside the train station.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks @tomfuller . But VIARAIL is a very expensive option . yes, less when compared to rocky mountaineer .
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
About rental cars I have given up trying to figure out the least expensive way to rent. People mention algorithms but I suggest some of the algorithms must be overheating.

I have found that prices are lower away from Calgary airport. I believe there is a "preferred location tax" paid at the airport that is not paid at some other locations. But that would not explain all of the lower price. In any event I still usually rent at the airport. Ease over money.

At one point I was a frequent renter member at each of Avis, Budget and Hertz. Now I find they do not offer much in the way of price reductions. Indeed I have found them a couple of times to be more expensive than using one of the search engines e.g. Kayak, Expedia. This may be because the programs recognize a person is comparison shopping when using the search engines. As for timing we just rented on Vancouver Island. The prices ranged from $800/week to none available to $350 two days before we arrived.

If I were you I would search frequently and book when you are comfortable with the price. There is no best time in my experience.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:59 AM

I would book by February. Some places are just starting to make their rooms available, but most have been accepting bookings since the fall. Your first priority should be Jasper as it has the most limited accommodation.

Early to mid June is usually fine for the mid to lower elevation hikes, but some of the higher elevation hikes can be snowbound into July. If you're looking to hike in or around Lake Louise, the later the better -- the teahouses usually re-open in early June though there may easily still be snow on the trails.

And yes, there would be no skiing in early June. The last of the ski resorts in the Rockies closes after May long weekend (third week of May). However, even in early May, the conditions tend to be later season - i.e. icier and some trails, especially the lower ones, may be shut or in poor condition. Other than backcountry skiing on the glaciers, there is no skiing in June. And even on the glaciers, June is pushing it in most cases.