Red Fort Delhi

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Fort Delhi

Is the interior of the Red Fort in Delhi worth it? I will definitely see the gates and walls from the outside, and will also be visiting Amber Fort and Agra Fort.

And while I have your ear, besides the Qutb Minor, Humayun's Tomb, and Old Delhi, what were your favorite Delhi sites? Thanks!
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 04:20 PM

The Lotus Temple.

Indira Gandhi’s Home which is a shrine to her life, death and her murdered son Rajiv.

If you haven’t been inside the Red Fort you should try as long as you are there though I don’t recall anything that special Expect a much higher fee than for Indian citizens.

Swami Narayan Temple for sure. It’s huge!

Jamal Masjid mosque.

Some love Chandi chok in Old Delhi. It’s a frenetic, packed mass of people, shops and all sorts of vehicles. I don’t care for it but it is authentic.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 04:23 PM

http://akshardham.com
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for the Lotus Temple.

Also the memorial at Raj Ghat and Nizam-ud-din's shrine. The fort wasn't worth the entrance fee when I was there, but that was some time back (the fort in Agra was much better).
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Agree. Red Fort wasn’t all that but you are there. It’s up to you but no great loss if you miss it.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 05:36 PM

It's some years since I was there, but the son et lumiere at the Red Fort was good. It was English and Hindi on alternate days. If you arrive a bit before sunset you can tour the interior of the fort on your way to the seating area. It's a good use of time.

I also enjoyed the Tomb of Safdarjang and the Jantar Mantar.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 05:42 PM

Forgot Jantar Mantar. Good choice.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 07:16 PM

If seeing the Agra Fort (as you stated above) you do not "need" to see the Red Fort. Both built by Moghul Emperors/family. Agree with Thursdaysd that the Agra one is much better.
Imho the Agra Fort is nearly as much a "do not miss" as is the Taj Mahal itself. I loved its big open market place within the fort. Do read up on it before you go, or get a recommendation for great guide.
What time of year are you going? Winter in Delhi can be particularly bad with air pollution, so bring a mask if you have any sensitivities/breathing issues at all!!
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 02:04 AM

We thought that the red fort is worth and it is very close to both old Delhi and Jamal Masjid mosque. .

I also very much enjoyed Indira Ghandi's house followed by a walk around Lutyens Delhi, where it is located, and the neighbouring Rajpath/India gate area.

I had read William Dalrymple's books "The Last Moghul" and "a Year in Delhi" before I went and they really enhanced my enjoyment of these areas
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 03:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Bookmarking.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input – very helpful. We will be arriving on a Sunday. With Chandi Chowk "shut down" then and the Red Fort closed on Monday, my well thought out itinerary doesn't quite work well. In any case, we are planning on seeing Raj Ghat, Jama Masjid, Raj Path, and the Tomb of Safdarjang. We will see Jantar Mantar in Jaipur, so will skip that. We've been debating about taking a tour of Nizam-ud-din's shrine with the Hope Project. It was highly recommended to us by a friend who lived in Delhi, but many reviews have said it was extremely dirty and somewhat unsafe. Will try to fit in Indira Ghandi's House, Lotus Temple, and Swami Narayan Temple.

Thank you for the book suggestions. I just put them on reserve at the library.

We'll be there mid-February, so hopefully the smog will improve.

Again, I greatly appreciate your replies.
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 04:51 AM

Most of the things are very well suggested to you, all you have to do is to compile them properly as per the days you are staying in Delhi.
Also consider the traffic conditions if staying for couple of days or so, as traveling from one place to another may take some time.