Tucson area restaurants

Search

Tucson area restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tucson area restaurants

We are spending 4 days in Tucson next month. We've been there several times and look forward to getting good Mexican food. We will definitely head south one day to the Tumacacori area to visit one of our favourite eateries--Wisdom's. However I see highly recommended Elvira's in Tubac. So which to pick?

In Tucson, I see recommended Teresa's Mosaic Café, El Charro Café, and Guadalajara Grill (which we have enjoyed before). Any other recommendations for us? How about restaurants on Mount Lemmon?

Thanks,
Margo
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI:We won’t eat at any of the Guadaljara Grills. Besides poor service, nothing to rave about food, they have had several “questionable fires” in their different locations. Our kids won’t go to any of them either.
The original El Charro, downtown, is the best place for the good food and it’s historic atmosphere. It was the family home, built from volcanic rocks. We take our out of town guests there for lunch outside on their patio.
Teresa’s Mosaic has a good reputation, is located to the west, and they have one in the Foothills area too.
For authentic Mexican restaurants go south to 6th Avenue. Many choices there. Crossroads, Mi Nidito, Micha’s. There are usually lines to get into Mi Nidito for a good reason.Bill Clinton even ate at Mi Nidito while President.
For the best more upscale Mexican, you can’t beat Cafe Poca Cosa. Terrific food and nationally reknown. Downtown..
We also like BK Tacos and El Berraco(seafood), on First Avenue, same owners. Really good!
Watch out for Gringo owned and run “Mexican” places such as any at upscale shopping centers La Encantada and St.Phillip’s Plaza.
Elvira’s was located in Nogales, Sonora and when passports were required to cross the border and then drug violence erupted, , Elvira moved north to Tubac and now also has a restaurant in downtown Tucson. Good food and service, white table cloths, entrees are in high twenties.
On Mt. Lemmon, eat at the Sawmill Run Restaurant. Very good casual food and nice setting, outdoor patio too.
We love Wisdom’s too in Tubac/ Tumacacori. Fruit burritos!
Enjoy your visit here.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Elvira's specializes in moles. They're a little too spicey for me but I'm a spicey food wimp. I like Los Agaves in Green Valley. Not Mexican food, but The Stable House Grille at Tubac Resort is excellent.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Mostly agree with HT:

We will never again eat at Guadalajara. We ate -- once -- at the eastside one and it was, hands down, the worst Mexican food we have had in Tucson.

El Charro -- downtown. I never order anything but carne seca -- plate, chimchanga, etc.
El Minuto for their chiles rellenos
Crossroads Mi Nidito (if you can get in)
Karichimaka, on Mission Road, on the way to San Xavier
Charro Steak for the carne asada

For fast/casual, I like El Taco Tota

I have never been crazy about Cafe Poca Cosa. You never know what might be on the menu, since it changes very often, and many of the dishes are more "imaginative" than I would like.

You also should try a Sonoran hot dog while you are here. I usually go to El Guero Canelo
On Mt. Lemmon, we have eaten at Sawmill Run. We prefer the Iron Door restaurant up in Ski Valley. But it would be too cold in January to eat outside at either one.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 07:11 PM

MikePinTucson-The last time we ate at Guadlajara Grill they brought our plates with sides, beans and rice. A while later they brought the main courses after the sides were complerly cold. Typical service, not good at all.
Yes, eat a Sonoran hot dog. They have them at BK Tacos too.
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 04:44 AM

My husband and I will also be in Tucson in late January so this thread is very helpful. Thanks!

Also, we may spend a few days around Bisbee. Any recommendations there?
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 06:20 AM

HappyTrvlr, and others, here is my Tripadvisor review of Guadalajara on North Kolb Road:

"We had heard some good things about Guadalajara Grill, and the eastside location was always crowded, so we decided to have Valentine's Day dinner there. Huge mistake. The food was absolutely horrible.

Tableside salsa -- I was expecting better. Most of the ingredients were fresh. But to get the salsa to "hot", she just added a heaping teaspoon of dried pepper flakes and seeds, which made it just about inedible. My wife's salsa (mild) was better.

Mini chimi appetizer -- these were perhaps the best part of the meal, even though they were not fried crispy at all.

My meal -- Plato Ranchero -- Rice was rice, not good, not really bad. The refried beans had very little resemblance to beans, more like a paste made of beans. Chile relleno was fair. The tamales was virtually indeible. Very little meat with no seasoning and the masa was hard, dense, and very dry. The sope with shredded meat was likewise virtually inedible, with no seasoning in the mushy meat and a soggy sope.

My wife's meal -- Carne Machaca with rice and beans -- The meat looked like mush, absoultely no consistency to it, and my wife said it was just plain tasteless.

We did like the decor and the service was fine."
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I know we will be going to Wisdom's for sure. While we are south of Tucson, are there any "ghost towns" to be worth visiting? Our AAA guide has several little ghost towns dotted around between Tubac and Nogales. I know that this is a little off the topic, but just asking.

I think we will try El Charro downtown. Is parking a problem there?

And lastly, will there be snow on top of Mt. Lemmon at end of January? And what is a Sonoran hot dog?

Margo
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 08:52 AM

Sonoran hot dog:

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2014/04/03/...ogs-in-tucson/

Parking can be a bit of a problem at El Charro during the busiest times. But we have never had too much of a problem, just drive around a bit and park on the street. You may have to walk a block or two.

There are several ghost towns, but most have nothing left but foundations of buildings. Although I have lived here over 50 years, I haven't done much ghost town exploring. If you have lots of time, go for it. But there are so many other things to see and do (see my blog -- http://mikepintucson.blogspot.com/) that I wouldn't put ghost towns high on my list.

Snow on Mt. Lemmon in January will be hit or miss. Winter storms are usually few and far between, but snow will usually last a week or more near the top (Ski Valley).
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 10:24 AM

There is a parking lot across the street from El Charro. There is also parking ay fhe Art Museum or on the streets.