Rome or Venice/Rome - 6-7 full days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just starting our planning and looking for advice. There will be four of us - me, husband, 8 and 9 year old boys. My husband and I have been to Italy previously, but the majority of the trip was spent in Sicily, with a day trip to Capri and a tour of the Vatican. Our boys have never been to Europe.

We will be arriving around April 22 and have 6-7 full days, not including travel days. We will 100% return home from Rome, but we can fly into Venice or Rome. We prefer to be active and don't plan on spending much time in art museums. The boys like to be able to touch things and move about, so viewing art will not be overly enjoyable to them.

We don't plan on renting a car. We'll rely on train and bus travel.

The boys one request is a day trip to Pompeii. They also want to tour the Colosseum. Other than that, they don't know what to expect.

We do not plan on visiting the Vatican again.

If we stay in Rome the entire time, I'm planning a day trip to Pompeii and another day with Ostia Antica and maybe Ostia Lido for the afternoon.. I know late April isn't quite beach weather yet, but we live in NH and the boys are used to cold days at the beach. Even just playing in the sand will make them happy. We could also add a day trip to Florence.

If we start in Venice, obviously we would wander and enjoy the canals, which are so different from anything we have around here.

Which plan of attack would you recommend? Thank you for your advice.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Ok for trains book ASAP for long-distance trains for sweet discounted prices - www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.com - competing rail companies using same tracks and stations - check both. For lots on Italian trains check www.seat61.com (sage tips on booking your own rail tickets online); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 07:02 AM

I think I would add Venice. It is such a different place and fun to explore and wander around.

When I first travelled to Europe many moons ago, we kids really enjoyed climbing to the top of things. Standing at the top of the basilica overlooking St. Mark's square is a memory I won't forget. I know you mentioned not visiting the Vatican, but climbing to the top of St. Peter's dome is fun (you walk inside but along the outside of the sloping dome) with a great view of St. Peter's square.

If you do go to Florence, it does not take long to visit the Accademia (where Michelangelo's David is located) if you have advance tickets. A little art exposure won't hurt and my 10 year old son, not a museum goer, thought the statue was amazing. Giotto's tower is another great place to climb. Florence is known for its gelato - we spent a day exploring Florence by way of visiting multiple ice cream shops and deciding which had the best gelato.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 07:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
We travelled with three kids. We would pick Rome/Venice. Take a look at Mount Vesuvius as well. Like home except there’s a hole on top. We did it on the same day as Pompeii, though we were starting from Sorrento.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 07:09 AM

A little art exposure won't hurt and my 10 year old son, not a museum goer, thought the statue was amazing>

Wouldn't he had thought the same of the copy near the Uffizi? Just kidding!
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 08:23 AM

"Wouldn't he had thought the same of the copy near the Uffizi? Just kidding!"

Actually I think they might be even more impressed with the copy near the Uffizi. There is certainly something to be said for see art in situ. I think even more so for children. Even as an adult, if I had a choice of only seeing a piece of art in a museum or only seeing it in the space for which it was created I'd go for the 'in situ'.

With your time frame and given what you said I'd do two day Venice and the rest in Rome, with day trips decided once you get there.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Take a look at Mount Vesuvius as well. Like home except there’s a hole on top.>

How'd you go - tour or on own?
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
We took a bus from Ercolano, which you can get to from Pompeii easily on the Circumvesuviana (train). Lots of options:

https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo...uvius_bus.html
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking of adding a day to the front.

Arrive Venice on Thursday.
Leave Venice for Rome on Sunday.
Leave Rome for home on Friday.

That will give us 2 full days in Venice and 4 full days in Rome...as well as the extra time on arrival days.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:49 AM

With kids that age, I would not do Pompeii as a day trip. Spend an afternoon and night in Naples and tour the underground with them, the next morning, see Pompeii and back to Rome.

I you do Venice and Rome, then skip Pompeii, just too much in such a short time.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 11:29 AM

Also Ostia Antica close to Rome is a classical ruins site in its own way as impressive as Pomeii - at least go there and have them study ahead a bit about Rome's ancient port.

https://www.google.com/search?q=osti...w=1920&bih=949

Pompeii is a long day trip from Rome - about 3 hours each way to site so feasible but a long long and with train fares an expensive outing but possible.

Many folks think Pompeii is close to Rome perhaps...but not.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 11:38 AM

This year in late Sept/early Oct we spent 4 nights in Lucca, 2 weeks in the Val d'Orcia countryside of Tuscany, followed by 1 week in Venice, followed by 5 nights in Florence. When we arrived in Florence, we were immediately "overwhelmed" with the congestion of people, scooters, cars, and noise. We wished that we were still back in the "quiet" of Venice (we did not stay near St Marks - we were in the Dorsoduro).

You may have the same experience with Venice followed by Rome. Both Florence & Rome are intense cities with lots of noise & cars. You might consider more time in Venice than just 2 days.

On 2 other two-week trips to the Val d'Orcia, we were there in early April. The countryside was absolutely stunning with all the green winter rye covering the rolling hills like a green velvet blanket - with cypress trees & umbrella pines popping up, wild tulips, and a Medieval hill village here & there. Here is my wife's Shutterfly book from one of these trips. The Val d'Orcia is on the cover, and on pages 34-100 - along with Siena, Orvieto, and Perugia plus the hill villages in the region.

https://stududley.shutterfly.com/39

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 01:20 PM

Stu makes a good point about Rome.

I stayed near my brother on both my stays. Big busy boulevard and traffic, although at least less touristy. But a lot of hotels ARE near the Termini station with similar traffic and congestion, plus panhandlers etc. Avoid it if you can.

It would be nice to stay in Rome somewhere in the old part of the city. No vehicle traffic (except the Vespas). Get up and walk and explore right where you are staying. It would be especially fun to have a balcony or a rooftop access restuarant. It would also be easier to go back out in the evening and see the fountains lit up at night.

The other option some travelers recommend here is Trastevere, which is more a Roman neighborhood. I have never made it there. But you would then need to get to the sites from your lodgings.

Definitely climb to the top of St. Peter's --it's quite a view. If anyone has claustrophobia though, it's not a good choice for them.

By the way, with Ostia Antica, bring along the Rick Steves guide to Rome. He gives the best instructions on how to find the cool stuff there--the 18 seat toilet, the bakery oven, the merchant symbols, etc. We had so much freedom there with our kids. No ropes or barricades, so be a little careful. There were ladders on a couple of the buildings, we climbed up and a board across a kind of ditch we walked across. Gorgeous tile floors that you will need to cross to get to the next room or building.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 02:58 AM

If anyone is interested, Michelangelo's "David" was not created or designed to be placed in the piazza Signoria in Florence. It was commissioned to be placed on the roof of the Duomo in Florence, to be positioned near the cupola. It is often argued that the disproportionately large hand and head of David were deliberate choices by the artist to compensate for the perspective of viewing the statue at such a radically unusual angle.

however, it has also been argued that Michelangelo always knew from the beginning that the technology did not exist to safely hoist the extremely heavy statue to the Duomo roof (despite the fact that the roof itself was possible). Michelangelo never suggested any specific site as a replacement site. After considerable discussion, town authorities decided to put the statue in the piazza Signoria, the other choice being inside the courtyard of the palazzo Vecchio.

It is also the case that whether you look at the original statue or its copy, you are unable to view it from the angle Michelangelo apparently thought was optimal. It is believed Michelangelo wanted the first impact for the viewer to be meeting the gaze of David as he looks over his shoulder at you. Both the copy and the original have been placed in such a way that it is almost impossible for anyone to stand in a spot at an appropriate distance that would let them see what Michelangelo supposedly would have wanted to them to see.

So there is no point in choosing the copy over the original or vice versa with the idea that you are appreciating the work "in situ", from the artist's perspective or creative intent. The original is much superior to the copy in many ways, however, for people interested in certain aspects of Renaissance marble sculpture and Michelangelo's approach to working in stone.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 06:54 AM

Copy looked about the same to me, an art unafficionado! Thanks for the background.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 07:58 AM

But a lot of hotels ARE near the Termini station with similar traffic and congestion, plus panhandlers etc.>

I've stayed in Termini area hotels several times and the hotels are a few blocks removed from Termini area and panhandlers - very nice quiet for Rome street with none of that near hotels IME.
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

5alive - I fear my kids' favorite part of the trip will be those toilets at Ostia Antica.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 01:38 PM

Rizzo--they wouldn't be the first. Of course, my dad was a total ham so the kids were almost hysterical about it.

PalenQ--that sounds more pleasant for sure. I was looking at that area again last summer with a friend and the big search engines like travelocity steer toward the hotels on big boulevards.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

We decided to extend the trip a bit so we won't be rushed. Arriving in Venice on 4/19 for 3 nights. Then heading to Rome for 5 nights. Rented an apartment just east of the Rialto Bridge for our Venice stay. Still working on Rome. Will likely do an apartment there as well...maybe near Campo De Fiore. I like the extra space with an apartment. And the ability to make breakfast and dinner is nice as well.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 03:34 PM

I am glad you were able to extend your trip as you will have a nice amount of time to explore both places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -