Galapagos in May

Old Dec 15th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galapagos in May

Hi Fodor's friends!

I'm thinking on going to the Galapagos islands at the beggining of March, I am thinking on a cruise for around 5 days, I think is enough time to see it all. Do you have any recommendations on routes or an special cruise I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Dec 15th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Our trip last year was not done with a lot of advance planning so what was left were the small boats. It turned out to be the perfect setting for our adventure. The cruise ship only had 8 cabins which made our excursions to the different islands more enjoyable. Each excursion in the morning took place with a marine biologist. The entire staff was excellent. Food was above average but not outstanding.We only wanted to cruise for 5 days and made arrangements with them to meet on one of the islands .Forget the sea sickness pills which wear off and you need to remember to take more pills. Have your doctor write you a prescription for the Scopolamine Patch which you wear behind the ear and covers you for 72 hours.We cruised on the M/S Cachalote 1 and were happy with the whole experience. Hope this helps!
Old Dec 16th, 2017, 07:26 AM

We chose May for the calm waters, and it was wonderful.
We went in an 11 day "Nature Workshop" on the Tip Top IV arranged by Galapagos Travel. They did an incredible job, and put 2 guides onboard for 16 passengers instead of the 1 required by law.
You trip is so short that you will gave to make decisions about which islands you want to visit. IMHO, longer is better.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind replies! I have been checking at the Samba boat, that is small and seems to have a great reputation, especially the guide, but I also received an option on the Tip Top that caught my attention.

I sent my request to a couple of companies down in Ecuador, and the most responsive ones have been; galapagosnature.com and galapagosinsiders.com Have you heard of them? Both seem really good to me, but I just want to know if somebody has experience dealing with them, or if you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 01:36 PM

I booked direct with Cometa Travel which owns Yacht Angelito, they have a 5 day tour (par of itinerary A) if that is all you can do.

No experience with agencies mentioned.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb, I think I am going to give the Insiders a chance, they have had a great service so far, I will let you know how everything turns up!

I´m all set for the Galapagos