Booze & books in NYC

Old Dec 17th, 2017, 03:53 PM
E_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booze & books in NYC

I need a few ideas to recommend to my sister to whittle away a few hours in the Big Apple. She likes whiskey and books. In the past she's divided her time between sleazy bars and the Strand, but I'd like to offer her a new experience. I thought of the Algonquin, for literary inspiration, but of course, it's sort of short on books.

Does anyone have some really good recs? I'd like to park her in an old boy's type of room with books and a staff to keep her whiskey glass full, but I don't think they exist.

She seems to have a preference for Irish whiskey. Any place in Manhattan is fine south of 125th street.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 05:45 PM

Some bookstores to consider:

Rizzoli's has relocated.
McNally Jackson
Idlewild for travel books
Housing works
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For book lovers: The Grolier Club http://www.grolierclub.org and maybe Bauman's https://www.baumanrarebooks.com

Can't help with bars -- I'm a little old for that scene.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Argosy Books-59th st. near Park-no whiskey but there must be some near there
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 07:32 PM

There has to be 3 dozen bars within a ten minute walk of our apartment, but I have no idea where to go. But I would go to Otto's Shrunken Head, just because I like the name and it is a dive bar.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 04:45 AM
E_M
Original Poster

Thanks for your help!

Bauman's is NOT the place for her. Me, yes. Her, no.

The Library Bars at the Normandy and Hudson Hotels look good. Along with Housingworks.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM

Not sure whether to recommend or warn you away from the Brandy Library! On one hand, it's not a library of books; on the other hand, it's cozy and clubby and has an extraordinary collection of spirits, heavy on whisk(e)y and brandy, naturally. One of our favorite bars in NYC.

http://brandylibrary.com

Prepare to be amazed and take a peek at the menu.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Booze and books, two of my favorite topics!

As far as bars go, Lexington Bar & Books on the UES is very nice and even has something of a dress code - fun! I think there is a sister establishment in Meatpacking called Hudson Bar and Books, but haven't been there.

An absolutely wonderful bar -- Lantern's Keep -- is tucked away in the back of the Iroquois Hotel right next to the Algonquin. Although it is tiny, I have never had a hard time scoring a free seat at the bar there. Just be careful, the drinks are strong.

Bemelmans Bar at the Carlyle Hotel also on the UES is also excellent, though a bit pricey. It is named for Ludwig Bemelmans, the illustrator of the Madeleine children's books, and has murals by him on the walls. Again, pricey.

And NewBE is right -- Brandylibrary is an excellent choice. But a reservation may be needed depending on timing.

Happy holidays & have so much fun!