Choosing a first cruise

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a first cruise

I am ready to take my first ocean cruise. We want a luxury cruise, and have actually reserved a cabin on a 2 week Seabourn cruise to Alaska. I expect we will stick with that for 2018, but I have seen recommendations for booking a big suite on a nice, but not luxe cruise line for getting more "bang for your bucks." Anyone have experience/thoughts about this?
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 11:15 PM

there are a few factors to consider.

Yes, you can get a much bigger suite for a much cheaper price on some lines.. but consider, how much time will you spend in your cabin.. and will it bother you that the cheaper cabin means you will be likely on a larger mass market ship, so food quality is not the same as more exclusive lines, and you will have to deal with lines , crowds, and sometimes rowdies on those lines.

I would stick with Seabourn if I had a choice myself. I guess you could look at Crystal and Viking also.. they are both nice lines for luxury cruising.

Also I pick cruises based on time on shore.. some lines have absolutely ridiculus port stops, arriving at 9 and back on boat by 3-4 .. and keep in mind, if a ship arrives at 9, you wont always be off at 9 , if you have to tender in ( take a small boat as ship doesnt dock) then you will enjoy waiting your turn with the thousands of others on the ship.. a time user for sure.
I like as much port time as possible.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done this (yet), but I would be looking for the smallest ship I could afford. I have been in places like Dubrovnik when a big ship hits port and the crowding is miserable. Plus smaller ships can go to more places, and are less likely to need tenders.
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate your comments, both of you.