Search

Paris or Rome dinner recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or Rome dinner recommendations

Hi Everyone,

We will be visiting Paris and Rome in late November / Early December. We would like to dine at one of the fine dining or special occasion restaurants in this trip. Would welcome any suggestions in either Paris or Rome for the dinner. One of us eats more vegetarian food rather than the meat / sea food based; so would be very much interested to know places that has excellent vegetarian food options.

Also we plan to visit Christmas market while in Paris / Florence / Rome. Is there any particular city and market that might provide the best experience?

Thanks in advance;
Shankar
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 10:36 PM

I love the Train Bleu restaurant at the Gare de Lyon, a listed national monument and amazing place to eat, see pics at www.le-train-bleu.com

But best enjoyed as lunch before strolling across the concourse to your waiting TGV express to Italy, the 14:41 Paris-Turin, from €29 www.trainline.eu. Stay overnight in Turin, have a look round, then Turin-Rome from €29.90 www.trenitalia.com or www.italotreno.it

I also like l'Ardoise Gourmande, a little typically French place 5 min walk from the Gare du Nord.
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 11:48 PM

Best profiteroles ever at l'ardoise gourmande.
I like train bleu fir the setting. The food was ok but very expensive. The waitresses were strikingly beautiful last I was there in July. There is a nice cat too.
I nearly took the vegetarian plate that looked ok and was more
Most restaurants have at least one vegetarian meal nowadays.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. Do we need to reserve table at train-bleu far in advance or is it easier to get reservations once we are in the city?
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to look at my lists of Paris restaurants from my recent trip report. Click my name for the link.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 10:08 PM

There's a lot of meat and fish on Le Train Bleu's lunch menu...so you might choose another restaurant.
If you decide to go, you can reserve using TheFork:
www.thefork.com/restaurant/le-train-bleu/4712
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 01:58 AM

Very few of Rome's restaurants favor vegetarians. You will read non-vegetarians say that Italy is very vegetarian friendly because it there is pasta and pizza everywhere, but if you want vegetable-centric dishes, you need to do some specific research. Most of the food blogs and "apps" are fairly contemptuous of people looking for vegetarian meals in Rome.

Margutta might work for you as an upscale restaurant: totally vegetarian and vegetable focused. But otherwise you should do some googling for vegetarian, organic, rome + excellent special occasion ---- words like that to see what you come up with that isn't aimed at students.
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 03:39 PM

For a unique experience in Paris...try this.

http://www.bustronome.com

The food is excellent and the tour is wonderful
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 06:19 PM

>>> Also we plan to visit Christmas market while in Paris / Florence / Rome.

Christmas markets in Paris are bust. Don't bother. I visited several of them last year and wished I have not spent even a minute visiting them. Christmas markets are primarily the German things. If you must go to one in France, go to Strasbourg.