A stop between Venice and Milan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2017, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last week of an extended holiday next May/June I have 5 nights to spend between Venice and Milan and I'm having trouble deciding how to spend that time so looking for opinions. I'm thinking of basing myself in either Riva del Garda or Trento (and visiting the other for the day). I'm leaning towards Trento (with possible day trips to Rovereto, Riva del Garda and maybe Bolzano). Would love to get to Merano but too far, I think, in the time available. Any opinions on which town would be best? Or should I split my time? Or go somewhere else entirely? I confess to being tempted by Mantua but simply don't have time for everywhere (despite the luxury of a longer than normal holiday). btw, using public transport only.

Also, I plan to stay at Malpensa airport the night before my flight. Do I need to be doubly cautious and be closer to Milan the night prior to that in case of unexpected difficulties? I feel that's a bit 'glass half full' but neither can I afford to miss my long haul flight home.

Thanks for any opinions. Splitting hairs I know and either would be wonderful.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 03:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why are you tempted by Mantua? Why are you considering any of the others? Trento? Bozen? I could easily tell you to go to Verona or Bologna for what I think are good reasons BUT knowing why you picked the ones you did would be very helpful IMO.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 04:22 AM

Vicenza.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 04:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Vicenza, Verona or Padua would be my choices.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 06:14 AM

What yestravel said.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 08:21 AM

I think Mantova would be quite nice for that time of year, reachable from public transportion, and you could also easily take a day trip to Modena for the market and lunch if that would interest you. but if Mantova is calling to you, why not go? The food and cultural sights are fabulous, and it is not an overtouristed place, although it does get some group tours during the day.

With 5 days, you certainly have time for another destination. I think Trento -- which is wonderful -- is a real crap shoot for weather in May, and you would need a car for Riva del Garda.

Padova, Vicenza and Verona are all very diifferent places in charactr & with very different attractions. You'd just have to read up on them to decide which you might like to pair with Mantova. I would add Ferrara or Bologna to the possibilities as well to pair with Mantova, as they too have outstanding features and attractions (including bike riding) that might appeal to you more than what's thus far been metioned. It is quite simple to get from these places back to Milan for your flight home.

Most transatlantic journeys starting in Milan mean staying in Milan itself or near the airport the night before departure. (I would prefer to stay in Milan). However, there are a few afternoon flight departures that mean you can stay somewhere else (like Bologna or Verona) but be sure you are at the airport a solid 3 hours before your departure time, and don't underestimate the 90 minutes it takes to get from Milan to the airport by any means.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 08:50 AM

" I think Trento -- which is wonderful -- is a real crap shoot for weather in May, and you would need a car for Riva del Garda"

There are tons of buses from Trento, resp Rovereto railway station, to Riva del Garda. Boats from Riva down the Lake up to Peschiera and Desenzano.
Meran is perfectly doable in 1 day from Trento.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. I know I have been a bit vague. When things are running through your head, it's good to get other's opinions.

I have been to Verona and Vicenza before and prefer to go somewhere else (but not because I didn't like them - on the contrary). And will be visiting Bologna and Ferrara earlier in the trip.

My time in/around Trento would be in the last week of June. I find it hard to get a sense of Trento as a place to visit but it seems appealing and is certainly well located for visiting other places. I have read that Mantua can be very hot at this time of year.

I too would much prefer to stay in central Milan prior to flying home but as this would mean a very early start to the day, will stay at the airport I think. The subject of train strikes in Italy pops up surprisingly often in my reading for this holiday.

The reality is that there is so much to see and, as ever, it is a balancing act between seeing more places and staying longer in fewer places. And also between basing in one town and doing day trips versus moving on more regularly. I am so looking forward to this holiday!
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for telling us where you have ALREADY BEEN...would have been nice to know that up front.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 02:26 PM

dreamon,

Now that I understand your original post to be saying that the last week of your vacation is not falling on the bridge of May/June, but rather is the last week of a vacation that begins in May but ends in June, then my concerns about iffy weather in the Trentino and further north disappear.

Trento is a delightful town with good train connections to other destinations. (I won't take buses for daytrips, but you might feel differently). If you go to Trento be sure to visit the Eagle's tower in the castle. If you enjoy wine or food tours, you might look for one out of Trento because the entire area is excellent for both.

You are right that once summer kicks in Mantova can be hot and humid. So Trento might work out well for you.

Happy dreamy travels! Luckily you're quite unlikely to run into many scolding Fodorites, given your thinking and appetite for something new in an Italian itinerary!
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Dukey1 - sorry.

Thanks, massimop, for that information - sounds excellent! I will look out for those things to do while there. (And yes, I'll be away for May and June which is part of the reason for planning ahead - not easy to get that much time off work and it won't happen again for a long time.)
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 04:16 AM

Bergamo, Padua, and Verona would be good choices for a stop between Venezia and Milano. Each location is unique and worthy of investigation.

Buon viaggio,