Search

Anyone fly Finnair to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone fly Finnair to Europe?

Really low prices....will I hate it?

The worst flights we’ve had were on American old,old planes.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't personally, but have you looked at skytraxx (and disregard the flakes and whiners)?
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 08:16 AM

There was a not very good review of it in the LA Times a year or so ago.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 09:19 AM

Are you really flying on Finnair? Because from a lot of cities in the US, you'd really be flying on a codeshare and the plane would be AA or BA, not Finnair's.

I used to live in LA and red the LA times fairly regularly and don't recall they ever exactly have reviewed airlines. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a newspaper just review an airline.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:32 AM

I flew Finnarr from Helsinki to Amsterdam last June. Not the same as a transatlantic flight, obviously, but my flight was fine, other than departing a bit late.

Then again, I didn't think my recent AA transatlantic flights have been so bad, either. I would prefer Delta though -they seem to provide better class of service on transatlantic flights (in coach on both).
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Have met a few people who have. The only complaints were about the food, who cares. And one person was mad that when their flight was cancelled, the next flight was a few days later, but that is a common risk with the ulccs.

Have you price compared with Norwegian? They seem to fly out of more airports, and they're my pick after Icelandair and Delta.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:51 AM

Of course, if Christina doesn't recall seeing an airline review in a newspaper, then they must not exist. The first paragraph of her response is actually very helpful infomation, so it's unfortunate that the second paragraph is completely false.

Here are a couple airline reviews from the LA Times, for anyone interested in actual information rather than guesses. Unfortunately, neither of these articles is the one that I was thinking about (the first one does not include Finnair) but the second one does have nice things to say about the new equipment, if, as Christina mentions, you don't end up on an old AA codeshare plane.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...nap-story.html (doesn't include Finnair)

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...813-story.html
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 01:39 PM

Finnair is not an ultra low cost carrier, unless something has changed recently.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 02:12 PM

I didn't mean that they were, sorry. I meant that from what I'd heard their flights were less frequent than airlines like delta, similar to some of the ulccs. if you get bumped on low frequency airline, you might be stranded for few days unless they put you on a different airline.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:50 PM

I flew Finnair (economy clase) a few months ago from Singapore to Helsinki. I took notes. The seats seemed on the smaller side with not much legroom, reminded me of United. The flight was jam-packed. The man behind me coughed nearly non-stop, making the close quarters seem even closer.
I liked the food. They offered lamb curry or butter chicken (I would guess because our flight started in Singapore). To accompany my food, I had a French red wine. It wasn't good; I didn't drink much of it.
I have trouble sleeping on flights, so I appreciate a good movie selection. But their selection was limited (as compared with Air New Zealand, which is the airline I fly most often). However, I found a cute Finnish-Japanese film to watch, Seagull Diner (Finnish: Ruokala Lokki or Japanese: かもめ食堂, Kamome shokudō). It was the highlight of my flight.
I flew Finnair many years ago to and from Helsinki to Saint Petersburg, Russia, and from Amsterdam to Helsinki and from Helsinki to Berlin. I thought it was fine then, but these were short-haul flights.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:51 PM

I meant to write "economy class".