Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go for 8-10 days in Europe Feb-April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All! I was originally thinking of hitting up Switzerland for 10 days in April, but now debating because of costs and being "mid-season" (not enough snow to ski but still enough snow to not be able to hike in April!). So I am now debating on what other country would be good to travel to anytime between mid February and mid-end of April. I'm a solo female traveler who currently lives in Colorado, USA, who likes leisurely travel but also a thrill seeker/adventurer if that makes a difference. I have been to northern Italy and Iceland thus far. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:10 AM

Greece might be nice for Easter...and warmer weather, too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Go to Annecy or Gex and look at the snowy mountains in the distance.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 09:22 PM

Hi Mlhduck,

I'm not sure that I agree that there will be so much snow that you won't be able to hike in April. There are lots of winter hiking trails that are kept free of huge mounds of snow (unless there is a sudden snowstorm or avalanche), and even ski resorts keep some hiking trails open. For instance, I was on a ski week in Zermatt in March once, and I spent a few days hiking instead.

I'll just say that you must have solid, water-proof hiking boots, and it's a good idea to also wear gaitors to keep your shins dry -- I'm sure you can pick up both easily in Colorado.

Here are some examples:

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/active/winte...-trails.html#/

https://jungfrauregion.ch/en/winter/...-allmendhubel/

If you want to go to Switzerland, I say, go!

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 09:24 PM

ps, I'm also a woman, and I did that winter hiking when I was about 40 years old.

s
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I am leaning towards just going to Switzerland! And yes I've done a wee bit of mountaineering here in CO so snow does not bother me... but of course its packing all the cold gear when you're used to being a light packer when it comes to travel! I will look up these other places! Thanks all!
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 07:40 PM

Switzerland is lovely, check out Murren/Wengen/area. Amazing hiking in Wengen, check weather in april. Trains are great. Zurich is an interesting city, but pricey. Swiss Rail is excellent. Zermatt is interesting but very touristy, interesting little museum there with history of mtn climbing accident that put Zermatt on the map, go to 2nd floor to see it history of accident. In Wengen if weather permits, go up the lift to Mannlichen to amazing plateau area below Jungrau, with many hiking trails..but check weather in April. Sue