Switzerland 8 days...

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland 8 days...

Hi All! I am from the US... trying to plan a trip to Switzerland for April 2018! I'm planning to fly from US round-trip to Paris and taking one-way puddle jumpers to and from Switzerland. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this or what direction they would recommend on traveling (aside from obvious price flights). Was possibly looking into flying into Basel then heading to Zurich, Lucerne, Lauterbraughten, Bern, Geneva--> and flying from Geneva back to Paris (or reverse route). Was just wondering if Basel is worth seeing and if it is easily accessible if I decided to fly into/out of Zurich instead! Any thoughts on itinerary is greatly appreciated! As well as any must do's/see's and if anyone can recommend any hostels in any of the above cities!
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 08:17 PM
kja

IMO, Basel is very much worth a visit -- but with only 8 days, you don't have time for everything and will have to make some very difficult decisions.

If you haven't already done so, I urge you to get some good guidebooks (I found the Michelin Green Guide and Rough Guide particularly helpful), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting lost/oriented, etc. Only then, IMO, can you come up with an itinerary that will work for you.

In the meantime, you might find some helpful information in my long, but searchable, trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...any-thanks.cfm
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 09:24 AM

All depends on your interests.
Fares for flights Paris Orly - Geneva (in April) start at 45 EUR. Same fare for Paris - Mulhouse (Basel airport) or for Paris - Milan Malpensa (handy for the visit of Southern Switzerland, may be combined with Bernina Express).

Most trains within Switzerland run every 30 min, those between Basel and Zurich about every 15 min.
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 03:52 PM

Hi mlduck, I ended a river cruise in Basel and continued on one week more in Switzerland last July. With only one week, I would suggest that you fly directly on to Zurich, and depending on your schedule and what you want to see, take the Swiss Rail to the Lauterbrunen Valley area, of Wengen, Murren, or Grindelwald. I've been to the first two places and loved Wengen, the Jungfrau is over the village. Check weather in april, great hiking in July, and only an hour or so from Zurich. We then also went to Zermatt, which is more touristy, but the Matterhorn is amazing and the gorgernaut a awesome ride up. Wengen to Zermatt is about 4 hours as I recall. Again weather in April is important, so research it. Be sure to see the small museum in Zermatt with history of the terrible accident on the mountain. Zurich is a nice city, but a bit pricey, villages a bit less so. Sue
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone! I'm now debating the timing... since April is sort of snow season, but still not quite hiking season from what I have heard/read. Since I live in Colorado, I am now thinking of maybe going in February so I could hit up a ski mountain! But knowing weather will be super unpredictable as it is here in CO with snow etc, any advice for February would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 11:32 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Mlhduck - I live in CO too, and have visited Switzerland in April a few times (and I'm a hiker - we've also spent several Decembers in Switzerland specifically for winter hiking).

The good news is that accommodation rates in alpine areas drop dramatically after Easter (even in Zermatt, home to year round skiing).

The bad news is that many places also shut down shortly thereafter, and gondolas, usually close for a maintenance period before summer.

If you do decide on February, I suggest you check the dates of special ski events, and avoid them if possible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 11:33 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
This might give you an idea of what to expect in April:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-walkabout.cfm
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 01:17 PM

Basel then heading to Zurich, Lucerne, Lauterbraughten, Bern, Geneva--> and flying from Geneva>

Basel is an under appreciated city here I think -I was surprised at how neat is was in the town center. If doing those places by train check out a Swiss Travel Pass (right, Melna8?) that covers trains, buses, city transports, lake boats (do one on Lake Lucerne for sure!) and gives free entry to many museums and half-off many gondolas and cable cars- for lots of info www.sbb.ch (official site of Swiss Railways); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

If going between Interlaken (Lauterbrunnen) and Montreux/Geneva be sure to take the Golden Pass official scenic train with spiffy glass-domed observation cars rather than the slightly quicker mainline via Bern and Lausanne) and also GP between Lucerne and Interlaken.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 01:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you want to go to Switzerland to ski, February is one of the best months and if there are snow shortages, most places have snow machines so you don't need to worry about worn pistes.

It can be very expensive, but if you choose one of the resorts that are less popular with foreigner tourists, I understand that you can avoid spending both an arm and a leg. this site might help:

https://gb.ski.com/switzerland-resorts

and this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/sk...t-ski-resorts/
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 01:37 PM

ski resort hotels I understand however are aloof to take one-night or short stays but prefer week-long ones or weekend ones. But staying in Interlaken and day tripping to snow is possible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 01:42 PM

ski resort hotels I understand however are aloof to take one-night or short stays but prefer week-long ones or weekend ones. But staying in Interlaken and day tripping to snow is possible.

Or Andalusia Spain and Seville for elaborate Holy Week Easter celebrations:

https://www.spanish-fiestas.com/fest...-week-seville/