Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!

Search

OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sundriedtopepo,
I am curious as to what temperatures & crowds are like in Seville in December/January, too. If it's too cold, perhaps November would be ideal. I know quilting mama will be in Seville in November. Hopefully, she will post a report when she returns.

Kja, thank you for reading along. I appreciate your compliments, and I always find your advice very helpful.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great report, thank you! I keep trying to plan a trip to Andalucia. Something is always getting in the way. Your trip sounds wonderful.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Leely2, Thank you for following along and for your compliments! I hope you make it to Andalucía some day! It is a magical area; everything we saw was mind-blowing, and we weren't disappointed in anything, except perhaps the crowds in Seville. But we can't control that.
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KarenWoo, my family actually lived in Madrid and Malaga for a year when I was 3-4. I scarcely remember any of it. Spain was my late father's passion, his dream, and I need to make a sentimental journey...soon.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 05:38 PM

What a fantastic trip Karen - so glad you had such a great time. Your trip report brings back so many memories (and yes, Seville was crowded and hot!)
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Lauramsgarden,
I remember reading your trip report from this past summer. You wrote it as you were traveling, if I remember correctly. I admire your strength and fortitude for sightseeing in the heat. I was surprised at how hot it was in late September/early October.
Karen
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Karen, what a fabulous report. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 10:36 AM

Karen, I just came across your report and so enjoyed reading it. I'm glad to know you enjoyed your stay at Las Casas de la Juderia in Córdoba, which we thought was so lovely. And also that you stayed in the Suites Santa Cruz apartments with their great location in Seville. It seems that all the research and pre-travel planning you do pays off. This sounded like a wonderful trip! Where are you going next?
Candace
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 12:26 PM

KarenWoo:

I have just started reading your trip report (up to Toledo), and it is a really good read.

It is so enticing that you have made me reconsider my November long weekend trip to Paris, and visit Madrid instead.

Loving it!

Regards ... Ger
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Candace,
So nice to hear from you! We loved Las Casas de la Juderia and the Suites Santa Cruz. Las Casas de la Juderia was our favorite hotel, and we really enjoyed the honor bar! The locations of both hotels were perfect!

We are going to Florida for a week in February. Then in April, we are returning to France to visit our daughter and grandchildren, and then we will stop over in Lisbon for 5 nights on our way home. We are taking advantage of TAP's Stopover Program, where you can stay for up to 5 nights in Lisbon or Porto without paying extra for the flight to Lisbon or Porto. Have you been to Lisbon?

Where is your next trip? Did you go to Rome in 2017? I seem to remember reading your trip report, unless it is someone else I am thinking of.
Karen
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 01:15 PM

Yes, Karen, we have been to Lisbon, and I think you will enjoy it. Lots of colorful tiled buildings, lovely viewpoints from different hilltops, and fun twisting streets to get lost in. If you can manage it, an overnight in Sintra, a short train ride away, was a high point for us.

We went to Sicily for two weeks in April, then to the Amalfi Coast, Naples and Rome for another 10 days. It was wonderful, especially Sicily, and I'm trying to get around to writing a trip report.

We would like our next trip to be to Greece. We saw so many Greek ruins in Sicily, it seems like the logical place to visit next.
Candace
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Candace,
Sounds like your trip to Italy was wonderful! I would love to read your trip report when you post it.

Ger,
So glad to hear you are enjoying my trip report. Will this be your first trip to Madrid?

Karen
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Karen, I've been seeing your posts on the Portugal forum and remembered that you had commented on my Spain trip report last spring, as I was reporting on my trip and you were planning yours. I was curious about how your trip went, so I just read through the report and it's great! It makes me want to go back to Spain to see all of the things that you saw and I missed. It sounds like you had some excellent dining experiences.

It looks like we're traveling to the same place again this year; I'll be excited to read your Portugal trip report, especially because I'm interested in your restaurant recommendations!
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by memejs
Karen, I've been seeing your posts on the Portugal forum and remembered that you had commented on my Spain trip report last spring, as I was reporting on my trip and you were planning yours. I was curious about how your trip went, so I just read through the report and it's great! It makes me want to go back to Spain to see all of the things that you saw and I missed. It sounds like you had some excellent dining experiences.

It looks like we're traveling to the same place again this year; I'll be excited to read your Portugal trip report, especially because I'm interested in your restaurant recommendations!
Hi Memejs,
I remember reading your trip report from last May while we were planning our trip for last September. It was an awesome trip, one of my favorites! And I am happy to hear you enjoyed my report.

I also remember seeing your name on the Portugal forum, and I responded to your post about your itinerary. I recommended that you purchase an open-jaw ticket. Have you finalized your itinerary?

We are going to Lisbon in April. First we are visiting our daughter and grandchildren in France, and then we stopping over in Lisbon for 5 nights on our way home. Unfortunately, we don’t have time this trip to see other parts of Portugal.

So I will look forward to reading your trip report!
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will be traveling almost the same route with 2 girlfriends in May, so very nice to see your recommendations
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 07:43 AM

This is an amazing TR Karen. I feel like I'm there with you I am taking notes of the hotel, train schedule, restaurants and attractions. Thank you for sharing.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Don’t think I commented before, but I know I saved this report for future reference. A great source of useful tips and ideas, thank you.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 02:22 AM

KarenWoo,
I finally got a chance to read your wonderful report! And what memories it brings back of the trip my husband and I took 3 years ago! What lovely experiences you had! It's funny how each place strikes us in different ways - we fell in love with Seville so hard that no other place quite matched that intensity, yet our overall trip is still one of our all time favorites. We have so many wonderful memories of each place! The architecture was so striking - the Mezquita in Cordoba gives me chills when we look at our pictures. And I agree, Toledo is so special in the evening - definitely worth a night (or 2). So glad you had a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
KarenWoo,
I finally got a chance to read your wonderful report! And what memories it brings back of the trip my husband and I took 3 years ago! What lovely experiences you had! It's funny how each place strikes us in different ways - we fell in love with Seville so hard that no other place quite matched that intensity, yet our overall trip is still one of our all time favorites. We have so many wonderful memories of each place! The architecture was so striking - the Mezquita in Cordoba gives me chills when we look at our pictures. And I agree, Toledo is so special in the evening - definitely worth a night (or 2). So glad you had a wonderful trip!
Progol, thank you so much for your kind words. I remember reading and printing your trip report from your trip to Andalucia and finding it so helpful. We stayed at El Ladron D'Agua in Granada based on your recommendation. It's a lovely hotel and in an excellent location. Our trip is definitely one of our all time favorites, too! A few of my many favorites places/sights are Cordoba, the Alhambra, and the Alcazar in Seville!
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crennaker
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will be traveling almost the same route with 2 girlfriends in May, so very nice to see your recommendations
Crennaker, I assume you have returned from your trip. I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. What were your favorites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -