What to do with 2 days near Marburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to go to Marburg for work in November and am thinking of going a few days ahead of time. I'm open to all ideas except Italy (just got back) and France (did that a few years ago)...
Thanks kindly...
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 12:18 AM

??????
You want to go a few days early to Marburg (the thread title indicates two days) and within these two days you want to visit another country? Do you have a magic wand that transports you immediately to them? Are you serious or is this just a pathetic attempt at trolling?
Marburg is historically the most important town in Hesse, it got through WWII almost completely unscathed and from it you can visit lots of nice old towns like Frankenberg, Fritzlar, Alsfeld, Wetzlar, Friedberg ...
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 07:19 AM

You could say land in Amsterdam and spend a few days there then take train to Frankfurt in about 4 hours - Amsterdam in all seasons is great - book train tickets in advance at www.bahn.de/en for Amsterdam-Frankfurt - for info on trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Marburg is an hour by train ride from Marburg- again www.bahn.de/en for online tickets - can always buy tickets as walk up but more expensive usually - seat reservations optional at time of booking.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 08:58 AM

There are lots of lovely towns not far from Marburg, which in itself is pretty nice as Lubitsch indicated. Check out Eisenach, Erfurt, Weimar and Fulda or go a bit south and check out Würzburg, Bamberg, Bayreuth, Nürnberg, Regensburg, or even Rothenburg ODT.

You don't need a car, but you might have more options if you do rent one; it depends on where your interest lie. So get a guide book and see what jumps out for you. There are many possibilities depending on how many days you wind up having.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 11:52 AM

OP may be looking for a more famous place for first two days - like Amsterdam or say Berlin or Munich or Brussels, etc - all easy enough train rides from Frankfurt.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Glad you can see inside OP's head, Pal.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Tough crowd... I appreciate the options. I have been to Marburg and did tour most of the high points and enjoyed it immensely. As my options are open, I can land somewhere, enjoy the sights and sounds for a couple of days and then drive, take a train, fly to Marburg (via Frankfurt if I fly). I have perused Viator trips from Munich to Neuschwanstein then I could fly to Frankfurt and get a ride to Marburg.
I did consider flying into Amsterdam... so I appreciate that @PalenQ offered that as an option.
I really wish they'd postpone the conference until later when the Christmas markets were open, but they're too far into the planning...

Thanks to all for your ideas.
BTW, what is OP?
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 03:26 PM

Original Poster
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 08:50 PM

Hi terryshappy,

Just a note on your thoughts to see a bit of Munich & Neuschwanstein ... flying from Munich to Frankfurt won't be much faster than taking the train.

The train takes less than 4h, with 0 changes from city center to city center.

If you fly, you have to factor in the time to get from Munich to the airport (45 minutes), do security & wait at the airport (90 minutes), fly (1h?), claim your luggage (20 minutes), and get from the airport into Frankfurt (15 minutes). So you may save only about 15 minutes by flying, and it will be less comfortable and less interesting than taking the train. For sure, it will be far less green.

I live south of Munich in Garmisch, and there are lots of posters here who know the area well. Let us know if you'd like any information on Munich & the Alps (it's very easy to do Neuschwanstein on your own using the train!).

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Glad you can see inside OP's head, Pal>

I mean maybe as in possibly besides things right near Marburg OP wanted to say hit an Amsterdam or Berlin or Munich before Marburg.

Maybe not that OP did but could.
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 01:39 PM

<Maybe not that OP did but could.>>

I'm not sure why s/he would to ask here for such obvious solutions, but whatever.
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 09:23 PM

Viator sells other companies tours. Look on Trip Advisor to find the real tour if you want to go someplace else.

Near Marburg, you could visit Limburg, the whole Rhine gorge, or other medieval towns like Büdingen, Gelnhausen, Idstein, Seligenstadt, Michelstadt, etc. There is no need to go as far as Munich. Why waste your short time here on traveling so far?
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 11:11 AM

<Maybe not that OP did but could.>>

I'm not sure why s/he would to ask here for such obvious solutions, but whatever.>

Well I said that because OP said: <I'm open to all ideas except Italy (just got back) and France (did that a few years ago)> which made me think they were thinking of other countries besides Germany - like London could be a nice short stop before flying onto Frankfurt.

But in retrospect I should not have said that and yes there are plenty of neat places really a short train ride from Marburg like have been mentioned. In november however I'd forego places like Rhine Gorge and stick to larger cities. If later in November then Xmas Markets come into play.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 12:05 PM

<...and yes there are plenty of neat places really a short train ride from Marburg like have been mentioned.>

Exactly... with you being the King of the Trains, I thought you would have been all over that!

Happy Halloween, Pal. 8-X
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your replies. My trip has been pushed out, so the Christmas markets are now in play! I think I've decided to go to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Does anyone have any tips on hotels near the market? I will be traveling alone,so I'm a bit nervous...
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 07:20 AM

Rothenburg is small any hotel inside town walls will be near Christmas Market.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, PalenQ, for your reply. That makes me feel much more comfortable about choosing a hotel.