Search

Uk and Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uk and Ireland

Back from our travels and first let me say thank you for all of the good advice from my fellow Fodorites!
Things went off without too many hitches The first being that Southwest airlines lost my husbands bag on our way to NY to catch our connecting flight to London. Not only did they loose my husbands luggage but mine arrived severely tattered with the zipper totally broken! They replaced my bag, and in so doing we had to transfer all of my things to the new bag, which by the way no longer fit in the overhead for our subsequent flights. As far as my husband's bag was concerned, they wanted to send it back to our home and leave it at that. It took a few angry calls by my husband, and the conclusion was finally met to have it sent to our hotel in London, which ended up taking four days. We had to spend precious vacation time buying him new clothes, they said they would reimburse us, but still not worth the loss of valuable time.

Day 1 travel
Other than this things were great! We arrived in London late and caught the train from Gatwick to St. Pancreas, and then took a taxi from there to out hotel. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Bloomsbury, and it was fabulous. Our room was on a corner turret and had a 90 degree view. We were right across the street kitty corner to the British Museum and in walking distance to The West End, The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Regents Street Soho and many other sites.

Day 2
Walked around the West End and Covent Garden and did some shopping. The weather was great, no rain and just a little bit of cloudiness. I really just had to start off by exploring and getting a feel for the city. No set plan just stopping into shops and getting a lay of the land. Later on in the afternoon we spent about 3 hours in the British Museum. After heading back ( across the street to freshen up we got ready for a night on the town. We took a cab over to the Mayfair area to see friend's and have drinks at their flat (which was incredible!) and then we all walked a quick 5 min over to the famous Annabel's, where said friend is a member. We had a fantastic dinner, and then from there headed another short walk to the highly exclusive 5 Hertford Street Club (it doesn't hurt to have friends in high places). Fun fact: when One Direction turned up here dressed in the wrong attire, the doorman rejected them with the cutting line: “You’re only going in one direction, and that’s away from here” Some who frequent are: George and Amal Clooney, Sir Mick Jagger, Leonardo DiCaprio, Hugh Grant, Kate Moss, Kiera Knightley, Karl Lagerfeld, The list goes on and on including loads of Royalty.
Spending the evening,... well into the wee hours, at an Elite Club of this caliber was an eye opening experience. I could tell you what it was like inside, but then I might have to kill you. What a way to top off a brilliant night!

Day 3

After a considerably late night we slept in a bit, had a fantastic full English Breakfast, maybe more like a lunch, in bed and then headed out for more adventures. We explored the area around the British Library and St Pancreas, purchased some train tickets for later in the week, and then in the afternoon made it to Westminster just in time to attend Evensong. Listening to the Westminster Choir sing in Westminster was amazing and gave me chills, I loved just soaking it all in. After Evensong we saw Parliament and Big Ben before walking across the bridge to walk the South Bank of the Thames. We got a snack in the Borough Market and explored that area for a while. We ate dinner at The Swan, which is the pub connected to the Globe theatre, and has a lovely evening view of St Paul's Cathedral. Then attended a exceptional performance of Much Ado About Nothing in The Globe Theatre. We were glad we had opted to buy seats instead of being groundlings. It starred to rain just as the show began and continued the entire performance. Tired from another great day, we grabbed a cab and returned to our hotel.

Day 4

Overslept again, but hey it's vacation right! We jumped on the tube and headed towards the Tower of London, but not before a stop for some fish and chips at a pub near the tower. We spent hours at the tower and found it very interesting. We walked over to the Tower bridge and along the river but didn't cross, then returned to the tube to the Regents street area to have dinner at Sketch, ( a recommendation of another friend from London) but after arriving decided we were underdressed, cool place though. We decided instead to keep it casual and eat at Wahaca instead. ( a favorite of my husband's) After dinner we wandered over to Piccadilly and Covent Garden, and then on to Trafalgar square and even farther on to Buckingham Palace. We grabbed some dessert to go at a little cafe and a cab back to get some sleep.

Day 5

The morning was spent shopping on Regent Street for my husband, as his bag still hadn't arrived, and then we had a nice lunch in a street Cafe in the Covent Garden area. We visited the National Gallery and then in the afternoon caught the train to Bath, luckily his bag arrived minutes before we left.
Once in Bath a cab dropped us at our B&B and after getting settled we set out to explore once again. The Baths and the Abbey were closed, but we stumbled upon Sally Lunn's, the oldest house in Bath dating back to 1484, famous for it's buns. We stopped in to experience this famous Bun and have some tea. Not sure what all the hype was about, it was literally like large hamburger bun, I got it with lemon curd. However, the tea was nice as it had started to sprinkle outside, and the house and the ambiance were actually quite lovely. We then decide to take a stroll along the Avon river. It had stopped raining and was very relaxing! Later in the evening we ate at a Thai place, I think it was called Thai Balcony? Anyway, the food was good and we stayed for quite a while just talking and relaxing before walking back to our B&B 2 Crescent Street.

Day 6

Waking well rested and early this time, we got ready and headed down to a delicious cooked to order breakfast. Pastries and juices, fruit, yogurt, cereal, were available. I ordered eggs and smoked salmon, my hubby got and omelette and bacon both with toast. We were stuffed! After breakfast we walked right over to the Roman Bath's and were able to spend a couple of hours there. Such an amazing piece of history. We even drank some of the water, which smelled a little like sulfur and tasted a quite strange, but wasn't too bad. And now I will live ten years longer! The City of Bath is especially unique with beautiful limestone Georgian architecture, and leads you feel as if you have wandered into a Jane Austen novel. And after seeing much of the city and visiting the iconic Circus ( the crescent row houses) we did indeed visit the Jane Austen house.Though we didn't spend a huge amount of time in Bath I am so glad we made time to fit it into our itinerary! We then picked up our rental car. And headed off through that countryside and into the Cotswolds. What an enchanting drive that was, until we took one wrong turn on a round about and ended up on the freeway headed to Bristol. It took a while to get back on track, and huge Kudos to my main man who navigated all of this whilst driving on the right hand side of the car, on the left hand side of the road, and with a manual transmission!! So we made it back into the Cotswolds a little less for ware but unharmed, and continued on to Bouton on the Water.
We strolled trough this picturesque little village, had a Cornish Pasty, took lots of pictures and then continued just a few minutes more on to Slaughters where we would be staying. The Inn at the Slaughter was all I had hope and more. The Inn and the grounds were gorgeous, right on a little river and the accommodations and food were amazing! In the evening we walked to a the adjacent church and found it to be hauntingly beautiful in the evening light. It dated back to the 1200"s! We met a man out walking his dog and walked and talked with him through the village till well after sunset, then went back in to freshen up for our dinner reservations. Delicious food and a very relaxing evening made for a nice respite from the craziness travel can be.

Day 7

The next morning after another delectable breakfast, and leisurely morning, we got back on those beautiful cotswold roads on our way to Stratford Upon Avon. It was approx. an hour drive and we were quickly able to find a parking garage near all of the sites. We visited Shakespeare's house, I have always been a huge lover of Shakespeare, so this was extra special for me! We had a nice walk through the town over to Trinity Church, which is right on the river Avon, to see Shakespeare's grave that is housed there. We enjoyed relaxing on the river's edge and then got back on the road toward Warner Bro. Harry Potter Studios Tour. It was about and hour and a half drive back towards London. What fun the tour was! I felt like a kid, and in all honesty acted like one. I am a fan of the books and movies, so seeing all the sets was fantastic! After the tour we drove to the Luton airport, dropped off our rental car and caught our flight to Dublin. We landed about 9pm so went right to our hotel The Fitzwilliam, directly across from Stephen's Green. Loved this hotel as well. Excellent location, nice hotel, great service and good food.

Day 8

In the morning I saw the area around the hotel which really is the City center and a great location. MOH had to head into their Dublin office. The Grafton street area was a great place to explore and get a feel for the city. At lunch time I met up with a friend of mine who lives in Dublin and we went and got some lunch and sat a talked for quite a while as it had been over 5 years since we had sen each other. It was nice to catch up. We then went over to Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells and the Trinity College Library. All I can say is WOW! That library is astounding! We shopped a little and then in the evening met up with my husband and took the LUAS to Stepaside to meet her husband for dinner at their local pub. Good times, good pub food with friends. Then took the LUAS back to the hotel. It was very convenient as the LUAS stop was right in front of our hotel.

Day 9

Another work day for MOH, but for me it was a private sightseeing tour given by my dear friend. We drove out to the Wicklow mountains near Guinness Lake. It was spectacular and so beautiful. I guess that is where they film Vikings, and where Braveheart was filmed. I can see why! There was even a film crew on location down in the valley below, not sure what for. We soaked up all of that beauty and continued on the long route through the Irish countryside to Glen Da Loch to see the tower and ruins. Also known as Glendalough, it is a glacial valley in County Wicklow, Ireland, renowned for an Early Medieval monastic settlement founded in the 6th century . The tower, monastary, and surrounding graveyards were otherworldly, and everything dappled with patches bright green of spongy moss. What luck to have my own person tour guide who knows all of the best places and how to get around. It was an amazing day!

Day 10

We went to the museum of Archeology to see the bog men, that was creepy and cool. The rest of the museum is just ok. In the afternoon we walked around Stephen's Green which is Dublin's Central Park, but not as big. And in the evening we headed over to Christ's Church. Unfortunately we got there just after closing. There was a woman out front and as I approached the entrance she asked if we were bell ringers. I said I could be if it would get me in. She laughed a little, but then asked if we would like to go in and ring the bells. UUMMM YES! She snuck us into the church and then up the winding stone stairs all the way up to the bell tower. The room was filled with the many pulley's for the bells as well as the real bell ringers, that have trained years to do this every evening. She gave us a quick lesson on how to do it and then we actually got to ring the bells of St. Patrick's Cathedral! It was a once in a lifetime experience. After we were done we got to walk out on to the rooftop area and see the amazing view from above! And if that wasn't enough on the way back down the tower and through the church the choir was rehearsing Handel's Messiah! What are the chances! Well I could have ended our vacation on cloud nine with that experience, luck of the Irish I guess but we did get to go to the famous Temple Bar as well that night and and walk that area and have a yummy dinner before heading back to bed.

The next morning we left bright and early to the airport and with a quick stop over in London, and all of our luggage in tow we headed home.
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice report. Annabel's AND 5 Hertford Street -- that was certainly one posh evening(!)

I thought you were going to stay near Euston station - the Radisson Blu Bloomsbury is a really nice (better) location.

(just a hint -- If you had it in the Cotswolds it wasn't a 'Cornish' pasty . . . Though the caff probably called it that)
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 06:47 PM

meant to add -- the bell ringing must have been magical.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

I have actually had "Cornish Pasty's" that are fabulous many places other than Cornwall. So though it wasn't eaten in it's place of origin, it was a cornish Pasty all the same. The term Cornish Pasty refers to the shape and filling. The crimped edges were for the coal miners to throw away when they brought them to work, so they wouldn't get the poisonous chemicals from the coal mines on the part they ate. One of our very favorite Cornish Pasty places is actually in Az. The Chef grew up in Cornwall, went to pastry school in France and opened his place in Az. It's called simply "Cornish Pasty" and they are amazing. If you are ever in Az you should go! janisj seriously delectable!
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're probably not up on the PGI http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/

let along "Cornish Pasty's" which is an interesting use of the English language.

Cornwall has many things but coal was not what they mined for

etc etc.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:35 AM

I know what they are. Should have included a in my post.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Here is the link if you are ever in that neck of the woods and want to check them out janisj
It really becomes an addiction!

http://www.cornishpastyco.com
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Chemicals being from the tin mines... my bad
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Anyway this is the Cornish Pasty place in Burton on the Water.

http://www.thecornishbakery.com/about-us/

They were good, but the ones in Az are even better! You can order the ones from Az and have them shipped!! And now I am craving them and just might have to order some.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The crimped edge thing is one of the "folk-tales" the cornish tell visitors, I'd not give it any merit.

No, they are not cornish pasties none the less, like only Champagne comes from Champagne
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The US is very bad about acknowledging that named foods only come from the the named area. There is a whole book about it:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rea...ted/1123503308
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the photos on that Arizona site, the pasties aren't even the right shape. And as for the fillings! Just because it is pastry around meat and veg it is not a pasty never mind a Cornish one. Not that I really have a dog in this fight, I don't eat them even in Cornwall. Too heavy and too many bad carbs.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 11:06 AM

The pancreas produces insulin.

Pancras of Rome was beheaded for his faith during the Roman Empire. He was not PancrEas of Rome.

;-)
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 02:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, ringing the bells and that view. You were very blessed!
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 11:01 AM

"The pancreas produces insulin."
Yes, assume autocorrect strikes again.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 01:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just because it is pastry around meat and veg it is not a pasty never mind a Cornish one. Not that I really have a dog in this fight, I don't eat them even in Cornwall. Too heavy and too many bad carbs.>>

ah, you've not had an Ann's Pasty then, thursdaysd!

seriously, they can be a bit heavy but somehow that goes with the climate.

actually I thought that the info on the Arizona website wasn't far off, except that it is now thought that there were never pasties with a savoury and a sweet end; also there was no way that hungry miners were going to throw any food away, arsenic or no. "Cousin Jacks" did indeed go all over the world with their picks and shovels, and they took the pasty with them. But unless it's made in Cornwall, it's not a Cornish pasty.

Great TR, Brenkjtravel and I too am impressed at the circles in which you move, not least because I've never heard of "the highly exclusive 5 Hertford Street Club". It's amazing the things you learn here on Fodors.
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I shall never look at eating Mexican food outside of Mexico the same.