Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Rome near Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain

Old Sep 25th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My granddaughter and I will be staying at Albergo Del Senato (Panthen). Looking for suggestions for good, reasonably priced restaurants in the area.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 05:50 AM

Armando al Pantheon. Have your hotel make reservations. There are 2 seatings. If you want to eat with Italians, take the later seating.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 06:14 AM

Agree about Armando al Pantheon. I've heard a lot about it, but you need to make reservation.

Or, I passed by this pizzeria in the area of Pantheon & Trevi fountain, named "Bottega Rocchi", which serves fresh delicious pizza and sandwiches at a reasonable price. We had quite a bite there.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 06:30 AM

We ate lunch at La Ciambella 2 weeks ago and it was terrific. It is a couple of streets behind the Pantheon on Via dell'Arco della Ciambella (really easy to find). A quiet spot, beautifully decorated with excellent food.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 06:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Armando Al Pantheon is great. We were there a year or so ago and they did not have 2 seatings. Perhaps that's new? In any case definitely make reservations way in advance.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 06:43 AM

You might consider retaging this question ‘Italy’.
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Didn't notice the Spain tag! Thanks for the heads-up!!!
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 10:30 AM

What is your idea of reasonable and are you looking for traditional trattorias, pizzerias or more modern food?
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Pizza and pasta for my granddaughter, who has simple taste in food. Trattorias, as well. My taste is flexible.
I guess I should ask if I can expect some fixed-price menus, as in Paris, or is everything a la carte?
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 05:03 AM

Most everything is a la carte. Italian meals are structured to give you a starter (antipasta), which is usually light and designed to tease your appetite, then a first course (primi), which is usually carbs of pasta or soup in Rome, and then a protein course, and if you want vegetables with it, you order them separattely. You are not obliged to eat all 3 courses, but it is bad form to go into an esablished restaurant and not order at least 2 courses.

Pizza in Rome is served in pizzerie, most (but not all) of which will offer pasta dishes as well, and maybe a vegetable buffet and fried veg. Round pizza that you eat sitting down at a pizzeria (with a knife & fork) is generally only available in the evenings for dinner, and it has a thin crust and few toppings. There is also plenty of pizza-by-slice (pizza al taglio) available to go from street vendors from 11am or noon onwards, until about 7.30 pm. You can eat this on the go and it has a thicker, more doughy crust, and nowadays often has lots of gourmet toppings. You can eat this walking around, alothough it is considered better form to simply eat it in the vicinity of where you bought it, rather than tromp around public streets munching food.

You should read up on Roman & Italian restaurants and food customs so that you get what you want, and don't miss this times when food is being cooked and kitchens are closed.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 06:22 AM

Excellent source of information:

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 08:01 AM

I just realized I meant to type 'antipasto" or "antipasti"
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Your granddaughter will like Trastevere. You could wander through there one day and let her pick something. My tastes aren't simple but I got a bit sick of fancy and ended up eating bar food one night- lots of fun.

Is it a hotel you're staying at? I would ask them for recs for places LOCALS like and then ask them to make reservations at the places that sound good to you. Reservations at the good places are necessary and go much faster if you speak Italian. Don't walk into anywhere that has people shoving menues in you face!
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 08:16 AM

The burger place was open baladin. Great for people watching, make reservation if you want a table.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Taverna Lucifero located at Via del Pellegrino 51, 00186 Roma is about a 10 minute walk from the Pantheon. I realize this is probably further than you want but it’s a great restaurant. They specialize in the cuisine of northern Italy. Also about 10 minute walk from the Pantheon is Roscioli (http://www.roscioli.com/).

Trattoria Da Enzo (http://www.daenzoal29.com/) is in the Trastevere neighborhood and would require a taxi ride from the Pantheon but it would be worth it.

La Pigna (http://www.ristorantelapignaroma.com/contact.html) is located behind the Pantheon. Another place close to the Pantheon is Osteria da Mario, which is located at Piazza delle Coppelle, 51, 00186 Roma. We never made it to either of these restaurants but heard they are good.

Keep in mind, any sit down restaurant that is truly good will require advance reservations. You can make some reservations online but with those you can’t your hotel should be willing to help you out.

If you are over in the Trastevere neighborhood try to stop in Antica Norcineria. This deli is located at Via della Scrofa 100, 00186 Roma. We stopped there on a food tour and had the best porchetta.

Have you considered a food tour? I know I mentioned it in your other post. I think your granddaughter would enjoy it. You will learn all about the food of Rome and it’s fun.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 10:38 AM

You know, I don't love Armando al Pantheon. I've been more than a few times, and have had good and bad dishes. A pasta with a lemon cream sauce was gluey. An antipasto of the day was carciofi romana served with a ball of fresh mozzarella, and the combo was remarkably bland.

Nearby places where I've had nice dishes are Archimede (a memorable gnocchetti) and I love the coda vaccinara at Ristorante La Campana. This is a bustling place with people of all ages enjoying Roman specialties.

Archimede was just a little fancier, but the dishes we had were hearty and delicious.

The Antica Norcineria that Lyn95 gives the address for isn't in Trastevere. There is one with a slightly different name in Trastevere.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 10:59 AM

We have eaten at Armando a few times and our last meals there were mediocre at best. Heading to Rome tomorrow and we have our list of restaurants that we hope to try--Armando is not on the list. Perilli on Via Marmoratta is always on the list even though it requires a ride to get there and our hotel is near Navonna/Pantheon area.
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:17 AM

For snacks and American food there is a McDonalds right next to Spanish Steps - was about the only one in Italy for some time- it is quite different from American ones - not suggesting you dine there but grandkid, depending on age, may enjoy a look.

Great reviews on Trip Advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ome_Lazio.html
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 11:37 AM

tuscanlifeedit - I put the wrong address in
here is the correct info -

Antica Norcineria Iacozzilli  

Address: Via Natale del Grande, 15, 00153 Roma RM, Italy

Sorry for putting in the incorrect info before!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -