Middlemarch to Queenstown transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Dunedin Railways FAQ, their answer to the question "I would like to travel from/to Queenstown - can I do this?" is "Definitely. Many organised tours take the train oneway as part of their trip around the South Island using their own transport from Pukerangi or Middlemarch to/from Queentown.
If you are travelling independently you can: Book the train and a mini bus to/from Queenstown with our partners at Trail Journey www.trailjourneys.co.nz. Charter a vehicle of any size from a car to a coach through Green Cabs Queenstown who have completive (sic) rate for this trip: 0800 GREENCABS or www.greencabs.co.nz. There are also other taxi and limousine companies in Dunedin and Queenstown who will also happily provide this connection service to the train. If you book via Greencabs don't forget to also book the train here."

Based on this, and that the train only goes to Middlemarch 2 days/week, the Taieri Gorge trip to Middlemarch became a main driver of the schedule/itinerary for our 6 week trip to NZ for which we have been saving for a long time. We have booked all international and domestic flights and all accommodations. We booked the train one way to Middlemarch for Nov 26 in May.
In finalizing details of the trip, I have spent several hours trying to find transportation from Middlemarch to Queenstown. Greencabs charges $600. This is neither reasonable nor within our budget. Trailjourneys has not responded to any of my queries, probably because they cater to cyclists and, based on their website, do not service Q-town. There are no rental car companies or taxi companies in Middlemarch.
Can anyone please suggest alternatives so that we do not have to cancel our rail trip?
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 03:11 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you checked these options?

INTERCITY Bus
www.intercity.co.nz

Alpine
Connexions/
Atomic Shuttle
Travel
www.alpineconnexions.co.
nz or
www.atomictravel.co.nz

CATCH-A-BUS
http://www.catchabussouth.co.nz/
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8 - I had not, but just did. Unfortunately, none of them serve Middlemarch. Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestions. We'll change plans
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 08:01 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Before you change your plans, you might wait to see if Diamantina responds - she lives in Dunedin and is a fountain of local information.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM

Sorry, only saw this posting now. I just called Dunedin (Taieri) Railways. Unfortunately, I was told they don't arrange for onward transportation from Middlemarch to Queenstown. They did until last year. As I recall, it used to be a trip they promoted on their website.

It would be possible to take the train from Dunedin to Pukerangi in the morning (they return to Dunedin by 1:30 p.m.), and get from Dunedin to Queenstown on the Intercity Bus that leaves at 3 p.m., arrives at 7:20 p.m. The standard non refundable bus fare is $23 per person or flexi fare allowing for changes is $51 per person.

If you were to forget the train leave on the morning Intercity bus at 8:30 a.m., you'd get in at 12:50 p.m., with standard fares as low as $1 at this point (as seats sell out, fares go up).

Atomic Shuttles' website says nothing about servicing Pukerangi or Middlemarch. They run a daily service from Dunedin to Queenstown, leaving at 9:30 a.m., departing from the Railway Station, which is more centrally located than Intercity's depot. Arrives at around 2 p.m.

I couldn't get through to Catch a Bus South, whose website said nothing about Middlemarch or Pukerangi. Nor Trail Journeys/Catch a Bus, however, their website says they DO offer service between Middlemarch and Cromwell (and places between). They times don't look convenient, if you'll be catching the train into Middlemarch. You'd probably have to overnight somewhere along the way, which wouldn't be so bad (but maybe you're on a tight schedule?)
https://www.trailjourneys.co.nz/Home/
https://www.trailjourneys.co.nz/reso...april_2018.pdf

There are three different drving routes between Dunedin and Queenstown. You might describe them as north, middle and south approaches. They all take the same route after Clyde or Alexandra. I believe both Intercity and Atomic/Alpine Connexions both take the south approach that goes through Milton, Lawrence, Roxburgh, Alexandra, Clyde and Cromwell. I've taken Atomic/Alpine Connexions from Queenstown to Dunedin and this was the route they took. Excluding Ranfurly, population 1060, there are no large towns along the north/middle route, so this is probably why there are no regular bus services to this area. This area only has a few scattered towns (some have a kind of frozen-in-time atmosphere), remains underpopulated, except by sheep, of which there are many. It's beautiful in its own way, looks like this:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/par...ation-area.pdf
http://www.maniototo.co.nz/

Because there is so little traffic along this middle route (SH87, through the Rock and Pillar Ranges and Middlemarch, then SH85 through Ranfurly), this is probably the least stressful driving route between Dunedin and Alexandra/Clyde. No doubt, this is also why the Otago Central Rail Trail remains one of NZ's most popular bike journeys.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 05:59 PM

Let me add, November weather can be rainy and cloudy. I've only taken the train from Dunedin to Pukerangi and back, in winter. The first 15 minutes of the journey traveled through railway yards of Dunedin, and wasn't scenic at all. The gorge itself is nice and the views from Pukerangi were beautiful, typical of the area, very green rolling hills with loads of sheep (and cows), dotted with stands of trees, and distant snow capped mountains.

I've also taken Dunedin Railway's coastal train.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Melnq8!
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 08:24 PM

I did this journey in January this year, booked on the Taieri railway's website for 200 NZD all in. I rode the train to Pukerangi and then walked up to the luggage van and my bag had already been transferred to a waiting minivan. There were supposed to be 4 people going on to Queenstown but the other three were no shows (but presumably prepaid). It was a pleasant drive, with a stop for a break in Ophir, and I was dropped at my hotel in Queenstown.

It all seemed a routine affair so I'm surprised if it seems to have disappeared since then.