Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question About Rx in Europe

Search

Question About Rx in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the advice given to go see your original doctor and ask for an extra prescription. Your request would not be unreasonable, particularly if you can get your doctor to understand your situation.

In the country I live in, you can get the doctor to put a code on your prescription so that you can get more than one month's worth at a time (we get six repeats). I do that precisely when I have an overseas holiday coming up. Worth your while looking into. I think that would be much easier than convincing a new doctor with a different cultural outlook to medication that you need your Xanax.

Lavandula
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 01:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to get the amount you need from your own doctor at home before the trip. Just explain the situation to them and have them request a larger than your usual allowance to be filled.

I guarantee you that is going to be easier and much more likely successful than trying to find a doctor in Europe to write a new prescription for someone who is not their patient.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Miss Thing has time constraints, how does she have time to make doctor visits in foreign countries where English is not the spoken language?

Is Miss Thing in NYC? Can't she go over to NJ to get her dolls?

I live in Philadelphia and I have a drawer full of Klonopin.

I learnt to put away for a rainy day.

Thin aka Jackie Susann
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 05:00 PM

Lovely threads.

On this one I'll show solidarity with Mme perdu and will refrain from giving any advice. I don't want to be accused of being intrusive and can't think of more intelligent options than to ask the US doc to provide more pills or prescriptions to see an European doc.

But still I don't know how somebody can work under Xanax. Oops I gave unsolicited advice.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 05:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe it's related to her use of the term "dream" job, What.

Apparently paranoia is a side effect. I'm learning all kinds of things today.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 05:31 PM

Xanax is a member of a class of meds called benzodiazepines, of which there are several. One tactic would be to have your doctor prescribe other benzodiazepines. They may not work as well for you as Xanax does, but they will work some. The previous statement about obtaining Xanax OTC is all correct. That will not fly in most European cities. However, if you really are stuck, realize most physicians worldwide are fluent in English, and perhaps, having your doctor write out the situation in a letter may allow a "quick pass" prescription from a European doctor. I personally would do that for a foreign traveler coming to the US. Lastly, you doctor may have colleagues in neighboring states, and perhaps you can cross a state border and obtain a second prescription in another state?
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 05:52 PM

It's unfortunate because there are a lot of seasoned travelers on this forum....however there are a select few that are just plain ugly. I would imagine they're very unhappy people. The point of this forum is to help others, hopefully in a kind manner. In that vein, I know you say that Xanax is what has worked best for you. But does Klonopin or Valium work at all? I don't believe I saw when your trip is and I'm not familiar with the legal restrictions in your state, but could your provider prescribe Xanax now and then perhaps another anti-anxiety medication in addition to the Xanax? I do agree that you need to thoroughly discuss your options with your provider. Taking a chance on a physician you've never seen in Europe seems like it would be too much of a risk. Good luck!
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 05:58 PM

If I had to cross a state border to get what I conceived as needed medication that I couldn't obtain from my doctor ( even under the circumstances described by OP ) I'd start worrying about more than just getting the prescription.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 06:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"I'd start worrying about more than just getting the prescription."

I think that was the thought, worded somewhat differently but essentially the same, that got me most in trouble up-thread.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 06:16 PM

Well, I've been in trouble before. The fact remains that if one's
physician won't prescribe it, you probably should not be taking it.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 07:30 AM

OP,

can anyone just go see a doctor in the Netherlands? I don't need some sort of insurance?

At Amsterdam CS there is a pharmacy and a medical post. You pay cash there, so you'd have to look into the medical coverage of your travel insurance to see if it's covered. It's a regular Dutch GP who can prescribe, which you can then have filled in the pharmacy next door. Maybe a good idea to have your NY doctor write you a prescription to cover your travel?

https://www.centraldoctors.nl

You can just turn up, or schedule an appointment with them.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 10:18 AM

<But does Klonopin or Valium work at all? ...then perhaps another anti-anxiety medication in addition to the Xanax?>

That strategy doesn'tmake sense. If the doctor would prescribe Valium, why wouldn't they just prescribe the extra Xanax?
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 02:44 PM

Suze, the OP above has well described the legal restrictions against the amount of XANAX that can be prescribed in his specific state. Obtaining other drugs of the same class is suggested as a one time work-around for this specific trip with the understanding the OP will use the Xanax as much as feasible and only use a few doses of the other drugs in the class as a stop gap measure until the trip is concluded, at what time any excess "other" drugs can be just flushed down the toilet.
My understand is most docs in other countries will see travelers on a cash basis and are usually not expensive. Then the traveler can attempt to make a claim against his/her health plan insurance, which works sometimes.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM

<at what time any excess "other" drugs can be just flushed down the toilet>

That's your recommendation on how to dispose of medications????
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM

"any excess "other" drugs can be just flushed down the toilet."

Absolutely NOT!

My town has a place where you can drop off your unneeded or expired medications and they will be disposed of safely. I suggest you look for a similar system in your town instead of polluting the environment more than it is already.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/f...inking-water#1
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 03:33 PM

You could, in France for example, go to see my doctor and ask her for a short-term prescription for Xanax, and it would cost you 23 euros to see the doctor assuming you could get an appointment, but whether or not a European doctor would prescribe a drug in this category without any medical history for you is debatable. And if you are on SUCH a short schedule with all these business dealings, I don't know how this is going to happen.

Maybe just take a couple of Donormyl and suck it up.
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 05:51 PM

The OP died from a drug overdose; she isn't coming back here.

Just let it go.

There is more drama here than on General Hospital, Luke & Laura.

Thin
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 06:33 AM

Thin, LOL!!!
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Just curious - what happens when a scared flyer who normally takes Xanax to calm her nerves when flying doesn't have any? Does the world end? Does she go bonkers?

I'm a nervous flyer, too, but one who doesn't take drugs. I'm sure I look and act like a wreck when there's bad turbulence, but beyond gripping the seat arms and sometimes lowering my head, I generally know I'm going to be OK, and I can't see how drugs would make that any better. And if drugs make it better by rendering me "out of it," I'd be even more freaked out, because I'd like to think I could be somewhat in control in an emergency situation.

As I said, just curious. I've never had a Xanax or any other kind of sedative other than a half a Donormyl, which as I understand it is equivalent to a small dose of Benadryl.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Maybe they've had an anxiety attack in the past on flights. It's not pretty.

StCirq, since you don't "take drugs" and have "never had a Xanas or any other kind of sedative"... you wouldn't know... this but Xanax does not render you "out of it".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -