Best London Premier Inn Location for my family's trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! Our family will be traveling to London in December, and it looks like it will be cheaper for us to pay for 2 rooms at a Premier Inn than other hotel options I have looked into that would house our family of 6.

We will arrive on a Saturday and plan to get our bearings Saturday afternoon, maybe stop at Portobello Road market, the London Eye, and fight off jet lag. Sunday we plan to visit Hyde Park and maybe the British Museum and then attend evensong at either St. Paul's Cathedral or Westminster Abbey. Monday we plan to spend the morning at the Tower of London and then maybe take a tour of whichever church we did not attend evensong. Tuesday we are considering touring other spots in London or taking a train out to either Bath or Windsor Castle before catching our flight Tuesday night.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which Premier Inn location would be best for our family of 2 adults and 4 kids who are great travelers but prefer to not have to walk all over the city if they don't have to?

It looks like the available locations that probably make sense are:
London County Hall
London Blackfriers
London Tower Bridge
London Bank (Tower)
London City (Aldgate)
London City (Tower Hill)

It looks like several other locations are already totally booked for our dates, so I thought I better get this figured out! I can look on the map and see where they are, but haven't quite figured out the best way to get around to all those locations yet, so don't know which hotel might be friendliest to our tube or other transportation options. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:20 AM

Starting with County Hall I would rank them:

London County Hall
London Blackfriers
London Bank (Tower) - will be quiet at night, close to transit
London City (Tower Hill)
London City (Aldgate) - a bit far east for sights for me
London Tower Bridge - too far south for most sites

There is also one called London Southwark/Bankside that is by Borough Market. It is right beside the river next to an atmospheric pub and a short distance from Borough Market/London Bridge. A bit of a walk to public transit but I really like the area.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:28 AM

Of the ones you list County Hall would be the best location – right by the Thames. Followed by Blackfriars. Personally, I think the Bankside Premier Inn is the best located, just next to the Globe.

Wherever you stay will be served by tube or bus.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Wherever you stay will be well served by tube or bus.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Any of those would be OK - but County Hall would be best. It generally books up months in advance so if you decide to stay there book NOW. That location also tends to have higher rates than most of the others.

You also might want to look at various Travelodges. They have several VERY central locations including Covent Garden.

>>We will arrive on a Saturday and plan to get our bearings Saturday afternoon, maybe stop at Portobello Road market,<<

Not likely on your arrival day. Portobello Rd is a loooooong way from any of the properties you are considering and it has run down by afternoon.

I don't think you have enough time for a day trip -- you have very little time in London and are only barely scratching the surface.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

This is so helpful! Thank you for the responses! It looks like County Hall is the unanimous front runner, but it is more expensive than the others. London City (Tower Hill) is the cheapest (would cost us $300 less than County Hall for 3 nights).

It looks like the Travelodge options that are not fully booked up would be London Central Euston and London Central Kings Cross. They are similar in price to Blackfriars and London Bank Premier Inns (in between County Hall and Tower Hill).

I'm leaning toward Tower Hill just because of cost, but would still welcome any advice.

Also, it looks like maybe we should forego trying to make it to Portobello Road market. Our flight arrives at 9:30 am, but I assume it will take us a long time to get to London from Heathrow including customs, etc. It's hard to know how much we will be able to fit in- it probably depends a lot on weather and how tired we are. Thank you for the input!
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My general advice is not to do any really active ore really crowded sightseeing on the arrival day. Some of you may be fine but at least some of you will be jetlagged so don't push it -- don't want cranky kids (or parents ) for 3 days because they didn't get a chance to recover. A walk along the southbank, maybe the Eye, a boat trip on the Thames -- something like that.

The London Central Kings Cross would be more convenient for transport than the Premier Inn Tower Hill. It is on the direct tube line to/from LHR. If it is not too much more than Tower Hill I'd seriously consider it.