Across Canada by Train

Search

Across Canada by Train

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Across Canada by Train

In June I rode three VIA Rail trains across Canada, coast-to-coast, from Halifax to Vancouver. I've made a short trip report (10 minutes) and I hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGts8BwXdSc

(It should start in HD, but if not, you can choose HD1080 in Settings (right hand corner). And please do not forget Full Screen and your loudspeakers.)

Have fun! And please leave your comments.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 06:33 PM

a very nice representation of Canada. I hope to do this trip one day myself.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 02:43 AM

Nicely done, with a good selection of photos along the route.

One small correction. You have labelled several photos as "South Thompson River, Alberta" In fact both the North and South Thompson are entirely within British Columbia. I suspect that your photos are of the North Thompson as the Via line does not run along the South Thompson, and it would likely have been dark by the time the train reached the combined Thompson River at Kamloops.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:06 AM

Hi Woodcut60,

Thank you for making this video of your cross continental train journey. I've taken all the legs of the journey that you just did although never consecutively. It was fun re-living the experience with you, some of your favourite photo snapshots were the same as mine-- St. Georges Island in Halifax, the train stations in Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg, Jasper and Vancouver. I was amused to see the sign "Fleurs Coupees et Plantes Vertes" at the outdoor market in Montreal--I live about an 8 minute walk from there and am often in that market (Kiosque Mont-Royal).

If you enjoyed this journey, I'd recommend doing similar journeys in the US (if you've not done them already). If you take the Capitol Limited (DC to Chicago)/Lakeshore Limited (NYC/Boston to Chicago) followed by the Empire Builder (Chicago to Seattle/Portland) or the California Zephyr (Chicago to San Francisco bay area), there is some truly amazing scenery to be had!

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Daniel,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I have ridden all long-distance trains on Amtrak, 26,000 miles, and I agree that the scenery is truly spectacular.
I loved Canada and its people so much that I am currently planning a second trip, to Toronto and Montréal.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi laverendrye,
Thank you for your small correction. Canadian geography is not easy for a European traveler...