Search

Bangkok Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok Trip

Hi, need quick suggestions for my upcoming trip to Bangkok,Thailand.
I am social worker helping to charitable causes in Texas, sometime I sell handmade items to raise funds for different causes.
I have planed a my trip to few countries in Asia. I will stay week or more in Bangkok and want to visit night markets to buy handmade stuff.
My query is how to ship one or two big boxes full of mixed items to Texas US.
1. economical and safe shipping ways from Bangkok to Tx.
2. Where to buy these stuff in Bangkok.
3. Cheap but nice accommodations in central Bangok.

Regards
Jay
[email protected]
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 05:07 AM

You can use the Thai Post Office to ship your stuff home. Have boxes small enough to meet their size requirements. Google will give you locations nearest your hotel or hostel.

There are shippers for larger size and heavier boxes or cases.

Do some research for Pratunam Market.
http://www.bangkok.com/pratunam/shopping.htm

(Google/Bing search with a laptop can be useful too to get you quick information. You do have to verify if your search is still accurate.)

Bobae Market sells in bulk.
http://www.thebangkokshoppingguide.c...market-bangkok

Hotels. How much do you want to spend on a hotel room each night? Hotels with A/C and private bathroom from around 700 baht to 6000 baht per night.

Where in Bangkok do you need the hotel? Being a big city there are a few neighborhoods. For example, Pratunam/Siam area if you need to be around shopping. Sukhumvit Nana - Asoke area for a little of everything including nightlife. Khao San Road area is popular with students. Riverside is popular with tourists who have slightly larger budgets.

Transportation in Bangkok is reasonably priced. Some hotels are not too far from city rail service. It is possible to go from Suvarnabhumi Airport to some hotels using rail service if the times work out right.
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

Lub D Hostel Siam - Silom area???
https://www.lubd.com/

---

Do you fly home from Bangkok? Or arrive Thailand with a one way flight and fly out of a different country?

For flying to Thailand if you intend to get the free 30 day Visa Exemption stamp at the airport this type visa requires a flight out of Thailand within 30 days. (Proof of onward travel.) This may be enforced at your departure airport.

Verify your visa requirements for the time you are overseas. If arriving during Christmas-New Years holiday season your hotel cost is higher than right now.

Good luck.
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank Sir, very useful information for me.
Regards
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 04:33 PM

Are you looking for anything in particular when you do your shopping?

I am not into shopping, I only buy something if I need it.

Bing/Google search shows quite a few links for "hand made items" Bangkok.

Example:
http://bangkok.sawadee.com/shopping.html

MBK might be worth a look. Located off a Skytrain stop. Also if in Bangkok on a weekend the Chatuchak Weekend Market is popular. (But it depends on what you need.)

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 04:43 AM

some post offices have a packing service which might help.

Amari mall, 3rd floor has lots of handi-crafts

thai craft org has sales about one a month in BKK. very reasonable and high quality.
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 03:36 PM

I would suggest going to the Weekend Market where you will get the best price on items. The other places mentioned above are also good but my experience has been that the bargaining is best at the Weekend Market. Take along a small suitcase on wheels as you will buy a lot. Bring water to drink as it gets very very hot in the market. Also protect your valuables as the market is crowded and pickpockets while not a problem you never can be too safe.
Always buy more than one of any items you like as you will get a better price that way. Never pay full price. I usually bring a calculator and display the price I want to pay to the vendor. In this way the deal is done quietly and other customers do not hear what you are paying, the vendor is more apt to bargain with you in this manner.
Go early in the morning before it gets too hot. You can take the subway right into the market.
Get the Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok as it gives a great layout of the market. The market has thousands of stalls, covered but not air conditioned. You can get lost in the market so pay attention to where you started.
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and appreciated to all for the information.I am excited