Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip

Search

The Lincoln Highway, abridged: Nikki's road trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you ever get farther west the bridge in Tama, Iowa is a nice stop. http://www.iowalincolnhighway.dreamh...way_bridge.jpg
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Great report, Nikki!

And having fractured a rib in July, I know well the severe pain it can cause throughout the torso, for weeks.... And how disabled you become during the initial healing process. No fun, that's for sure. Hope he's feeling better sooner rather than later.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 11:19 AM

I'm so sorry about the rib injury, no fun riding in a car.

So, planning a third try in 2020?
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 04:18 AM

Signing on belatedly for the road trip... at least I get to read it all at once instead of piecemeal
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Way out in western Wyoming at Fort Bridger, they have the black and orange garage camp cabins from the 1930s from the Lincoln Highway. They are really interesting to see, they have several furnished and have the attached car port since many of the cars were open tops back in the day.

And if you get between Laramie and Cheyenne on I 80, you can see a massive Lincoln sculpture that was once at the highest point along the Lincoln Highway.

I love roadside attractions so enjoyed your report.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for all the interesting comments and feedback. Clearly we will have to make another attempt to get farther west.

Alan is recovering slowly. Not so many sharp pains any more. Thanks for asking.

And thanks for following along.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 07:10 AM

Another great trip report, Nikki! We followed old Route 66 for part of our trip from Chicago to LA, but were disappointed how tacky some of the towns were. Lincoln Highway seems more interesting.

What breed of dog do you have? I was never a dog lover until my daughter recently rescued a black lab/hound mix. As the grandma of this delicious dog, I am totally smitten and now, finally, understand why people are crazy for their pets!!!
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 10:35 AM

Great trip report. Sounds like a trip I would like to take, as soon as I can get DH to retire.

Thanks for reporting.
Old Nov 21st, 2017, 05:09 AM

This was fun to read. Sorry about your husband's injury and I hope he's feeling better by now.

I could have waved to you too. I grew up not far from the Lincoln Highway and now live fairly close to it. From my childhood I don't recall any bypasses--you had to drive right through downtown York or Lancaster or Chambersburg, but that was fine because we got to see the big city!

What is the crab restaurant near Gettysburg?

One little-known but fun place not far off 30 is Gravity Hill, in Bedford county. It's the one place in the universe where your car rolls uphill.
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so glad that I stumbled on your report, Nikki. It was very entertaining. I'm another who could have waved to you; I suspect that you drove by the back of my house on your way between the PA Turnpike and Gap. I've read that there is a coffee-pot-shaped building in Bedford, PA. If you get back there, you can get a picture and have a beverage set.
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Jars50, I see I never answered your question about our dog, which is a Tibetan terrier.

Coquelicot, the crab place near Gettysburg is Dave and Jane’s.

http://www.daveandjanes.com/

Sorry I didn’t know about Gravity Hill.

By the way, I grew up in a house that bordered on a nursery school called Les Coquelicots. Used to climb over the fence on weekends when they were closed and play on the playground equipment and climb a tree.

Suki, we did go to the giant coffee pot in Bedford.

Now to complete my beverage set I should get a shot of the giant milk bottle near our home in Massachusetts.

http://www.tauntongazette.com/articl...NEWS/150926100

Alan felt very sore for a week or two and then the rib gradually healed and has been fine now for quite a while.