Search

Sydney Airport Transportation Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2017, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Sydney Airport Transportation Suggestions

Greetings Fodorites,

We're arriving in Sydney after a long flight from the east coast of the US. Knowing we'll be jet lagged and also probably partially braindead, what transportation would you suggest from the airport to our hotel in Circular Quay? We're open to a taxi or a private car service. I'd appreciate your suggestions - thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many are you and will you have a lot of luggage with you? You can grab a taxi easily from the airport; to Circular Quay will run you about AUD60. You could also take a train from the airport straight to Circular Quay, but only use that option if there are 3 or fewer of you and you are not carrying a lot of baggage. No need for private car services.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 02:40 PM

We arrived yesterday "braindead" after an awful flight with emirates from Bangkok. We got the train to circular quay very quick around 20 mins. Train was very busy though at 08.00. AU$ 17 pp. get an OPAL card at the station. Really helpful staff.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you're staying at the Marriott or Four Seasons, I'd take the train. (Assuming you have luggage you can easily wheel 100m or so.). Otherwise, I'd probably just take a taxi door to door.
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 11:58 PM

The train to Circular Quay is easy, quick and convenient. If you plan to travel around Sydney using trains and buses while there, buy an Opal card each with $20 or so on it and top up as needed.

In peak hours, the traffic can be horrible.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I haven't researched the train (didn't know about it). We like taking that type of public transportation from the airport to town, but I think that's probably not the best option for us this time since we'll have an additional suitcase for formal (wedding) attire as well as one suitcase for each of us. Sounds like taxis are a good bet.

Ellen
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 02:06 PM

Personally, after a long long flight, we always opt for a taxi. More money than a train ride but it will take you door to door with minimum effort on your part. We've tried shuttle buses and public transport but taxis win out every time.