Hotel in Bergen Norway

Search

Hotel in Bergen Norway

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Bergen Norway

We will be in Bergen, Norway for 2 days before we take the Norway in a Nutshell tour. I'm looking for a recommendation for a clean, nice hotel in a good location for Bergen. What should we see during our short time in Bergen?
Also is there places to store your luggage on the cruise portion of the cruise on the tour.
Thanks!
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stayed at the Scandic Ørnen which was fine but not exactly central. Would probably prefer the Radisson Blu.

For what to do see:
https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...usy-in-bergen/
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 06:54 AM

Radisson Blu served us well (but this was 2013 so can't vouch for more recent experiences). Clean, good location, and an excellent, if crowded, breakfast.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions!
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:05 AM

We stayed at the First Hotel Marin. We aid a bit extra for a room overlooking the Brygge.
Friends stayed at the Hanseactic and loved it.
Neither are cheap.
Sandic Strand is another central hotel which is generally well liked.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 08:37 AM

My daughter's in-laws stayed at the Radisson Blu which is not centrally located as I recall but they liked it. It is in a quiet area and a short walk from the town center. They mentioned liking the breakfast as well.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 02:51 PM

I was there last year. LOVED the Klosterhagen Hotel. I never do large, name brand hotels but quaint, cute, unusual although up-to-date. Great location, one of the most fabulous breakfasts I've ever had.

Take the tram to the top of the mt and walk down, really nice. Was there on a Sunday and a band played throughout the town, some of the shops are so old the stairs to get to the 2nd story so steep, fun to do. Great harbor town.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 07:14 PM

Two years ago we stayed at the Thon Orion by the castle. It was very reasonable and we loved the location. Our room was fine, and the breakfast was enormous. We would definitely stay there again.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 08:44 PM

We Really liked the Thon Rosenkrantz (we've just returned... my review on TA is under my same screen name.) Perhaps you are planning to eat out and have some great seafood (get ready for $40 paper plates at the fish market) ... but we had just finished a month in the Baltics and wanted to keep it simple. The Thon R. has a very good evening meal (it's sold as more of a snack... but it's a meal) which is included. This allowed us to just have a quick bite, then walk the town. The cook/chef came out and talked to us for 15 minutes when we asked staff about a certain cracker that we loved. They only have one main course a night (ours was lasagne) but lots of salad, etc etc. as well. Also, breakfast was among the best (of many great ones) of our month. The breakfast chef was also a doll-- from Italy-- and so sweet. You really can't think of a breakfast item nordic or not, that they don't serve... including a divine fresh orange juice squeezing machine.

We did Nutshell.. so be sure to read my cautionary tale which I posted yesterday.

It was about a 12 minute, easy walk to the train station.

We used a porter service to take our luggage from Bergen to Oslo. We used porterservice.no and it was about $30 per bag and effortless. They even held our luggage a day so our next hotel wouldn't charge us for storage. (we stayed a night along the route)

Speaking of the next hotel... we loved Hotel Christiana Teater.. they had a view of the park from breakfast, which was super.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 09:14 PM

>>> Also is there places to store your luggage on the cruise portion of the cruise on the tour.

You leave luggage you cannot carry up stairs at the ground level = car level. There is a boardwalk along the wall where everyone leaves their luggage. We just followed what others did. Some people brought a cable and tied their luggage together to make them harder to take away. I use non-TSA luggage locks just for this kind of application.

It would be best if only one person deals with luggage while the other person finds a seat upstairs.