Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hampi Express train to Bangalore - delays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, my friends and are visiting Hampi in India then onwards to Rajasthan.

We're expecting to take a return overnight train from Hampi which arrives in Bangalore at ~05:40AM, then from Bangalore to take an internal flight to Jodhpur leaving Bangalore airport for 09:25AM.

My question is, from anyone's experience here is that turnaround from the Hampi Express arrival in Bangalore, to the Bangalore flight onwards to Jodhpur - is this too tight and risky? We're aware train delays are unpredictable in India.

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to miss out, but for weather context, we are travelling to Hampi in mid August for just a few days.
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean you are taking a night train to Hampi and then a night train back the day you arrive in Hampi? I would really not recommend that. There is a lot to see in Hampi, if ruinous ruins interest you, and you are going to want a shower when you get off the train...

On time arrival is unpredictable. How long will it take to get to the airport?
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 11:18 AM

You don't say how you plan to get to airport from Blr RR station. Cab? Busses?
In either case, that transfer between train and airport it isn't something I would do. Chances are it is do-able, but for me, there is too much unpredictability with India's transport, road traffic, etc. Depends entirely on your risk tolerance!
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your help!

thursdaysd, yes we're taking on overnight train to Hampi arriving the following morning, spending one night in Hampi, then leaving the following night by Hampi Express back to Bangalore. In summary:

Day 1 - Bangalore / Overnight train to Hampi depart ~ @ 22:00
Day 2 - Hampi
Day 3 - Hampi / Overnight train to Bangalore depart ~ @21:30

CaliNurse, thanks for your insight. I now agree it is risky and we may be doing an alternative plan to take a later flight from Bangalore rather than the 09:25AM flight.
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 07:09 PM

One idea, unless you must fly specifically to Jodhpur, is to instead fly to another Rajasthani city, e.g. Jaipur or Udaipur. Maybe there's a flight that leaves Bangalore later in the day with a brief connection.
You've likely already noticed that local domestic flight routes within India are "counterintuitive." A flight that looks as if it should take a couple hours, instead involves a day of transfers via a "hub" airport. Good luck!
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 08:36 PM

Remember too that in Hampi you need to have transport from the station. My plan was to travel from Bangalore to Hampi and then after three days to carry on to Goa. I await your report.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transport in India is never a problem. I stayed in Hospet, although you can stay in less comfort in Hampi. One day I used a car and driver and the other a rickshaw. I booked the car through my hotel.