Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

We leave in three days for a weeklong family holiday along the eastern half of the Italian Riviera. Our plans *had* included hiking a portion of the famous Cinque Terre Trails; that is, until DH severely pulled a ligament in his ankle on a family hike here in Austria recently. We thought it was just a strained muscle, but no. The doctor advises, "No Hard Hiking," which, in this country, only rules out a climb up the Großglockner.

Now we're thinking of saving Cinque Terre for another holiday, and pursuing a more laid-back approach to include a little more beach time and perhaps some snorkeling. DH is gimping about without much discomfort and insists that he is fit for Cinque Terre, but I'm the pessimist. In Austria we can do a flat 12km hike or a moderate 8km hike with no issue, but the trails are very different.

What say you, Cinque Terre experts? Should I pack DH's hiking poles, or hide them?
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello
It's really a personal choice. The last parts of the hike are not exceptionally strenuous, however the trail from Monterossa to Vernazza is tough! I also thought the trail from Vernazza to Corniglia challenging. Once you're on these trails you must stay the course. However you can always enjoy it using the railway to go from town to town.
This trip will not improve his injury whatsoever.
Go to the beach!
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There were some challenging sections in the CT trail including many steep steps going in and out of Monterosso. We split the trail into two days.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:24 AM

The "easy" hike from Riomaggiore to Manarola - the Via dell'Amore - is not open. Neither is the less easy but not that hard hike from Manarola to Corniglia.

The other two are much harder - not really difficult hikes but with lots of steps up and down especially near the beginning/end of the trails. I would not recommend them to anyone with some sort of injury as you describe.

I'd go somewhere else in the Italian Riviera instead on this trip and visit the Cinque Terre again when you can hike! The towns are lovely, but the main appeal to me - the reason to brave all the crowds - is the hiking. I loved my recent visit to Camogli. You can ferry from there to various towns for day trips. Camogli has a decent beach, too.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Not really sure what you are asking. Your husband was told not to hike, and in 3 days you want to go to one of the most vertical areas of the Mediterranean at the hottest and most crowded time of the year. Camogli is nothing but staircases, and its best known hiking paths are straight up a mountain.

There is a website called a Path to Lunch. If you think your husband is willing to take his doctor's advice you might find some walking trails there that don't require vertical hiking.

Otherwise, google for "snorkeling Italy". And try to pick a place between Genova and France, or on the Tuscan coast south of La Spezia. Or in Elba. Those are flat areas by the sea.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 08:46 AM

massimop: <i>Not really sure what you are asking. Your husband was told not to hike, and in 3 days you want to go to one of the most vertical areas of the Mediterranean at the hottest and most crowded time of the year. Camogli is nothing but staircases, </i>

No it isn't.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 04:35 PM
kja

I agree that it’s a personal choice, but FWIW, mine would be to defer your plans to hike the Cinque Terre. As several have noted, some stretches are strenuous, and they can also be a bit (OK, decidedly) treacherous if the weather turns – and it can! (Something I learned the hard – very hard! -- way.) And recovering from a pulled ligament can take soooo long, and there’s also the risk of inadvertently delaying that process. JMO…

Best to your husband for a speedy recovery and best wishes to all of you for a delightful family holiday!
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 05:36 PM

If you're staying anywhere near Santa Margherita Ligure (east of Genoa - I'm not sure if that's where you'll be) there's a wonderful, mostly flat walk/hike from SML to Portofino along the ocean - we absolutely loved it. And not too vertical. ��
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:55 PM

Andrew, anybody can look at pictures of Camogli and see what I am talking about. It is not a solution to an injured person's problem if they need to avoid hikes.

The tiny town of Camogli is situated on two flat levels which are connected at various points by steep vertical staircases. To walk from one end of town to the other on either flat level takes all of 10 minutes even if you have a pulled muscle. Anybody trying to walk further that on either road either has to climb yet more staircases to go up into the mountains -- and they are mountains, not just hills) or be willing to walk along roads with a lot of summer motor traffic and no sidewalks.

Hard to imagine a family taking a weeklong vacation to Camogli and being happy with walking back and forth along the same street all day. Yes, they can take a boat ride or snorkel, or take the train or bus to someplace else, but why literally hobble oneself that way when there are larger towns practically next door that are flat, large, have the same boat rides, snorkeling, food, (even better markets than Camogli), views, etc etc.-- ? If they want to see Camogli and walk up and down its 2 streets for 10 minutes each, it's a very easy day trip from Santa Margherita Ligure, Rapallo, Chiavari, Sestri Levante.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

"Not really sure what you are asking. Your husband was told not to hike..."

This is true, but not complete. DH has been strongly discouraged from "hard" hikes; which, in Austria, are equivalent to scaling the Großglockner. He was cleared for "light" hiking, the equivalent of walking.

Thank you, everyone, for confirming my suspicions. The hiking poles have been hidden, and we'll just have to "make do" with snorkeling, beach time and what non-vertical walking I might glean from, "A Path to Lunch."
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

An update.

DH found the hiking poles and hid them in the Thule without my notice. This turned out to be a good thing, actually! Our rental house in Genoa didn't really work for us; though it was exactly as described, the owner "conveniently" did not describe its worst feature. A couple of reviewers on VRBO had mentioned this feature, but not enough to raise a flag with us; the majority of the reviewers had not expressed any concerns. I am preparing a strongly worded complaint to the owner and to VRBO, however.

After two nights we moved to an apartment near Savona, along the western Italian Riviera, and spent the remainder of the Italian holiday at the beach. Sun and sand and seafood for everyone, and even a dog beach for DDog! Not really in the mood to return to Vienna when the seafood eating and beach time was over we added two nights in Tirol (a favorite resort had a last-minute cancellation!) to include a memorable and mostly flat hike and a good amount of spa time to keep DH's ankle happy.

All's well that ends well.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 06:00 AM

If the "feature" is such a deal breaker and you are angry other renters did not elaborate for you, why are you making a guessing game of it here?

Also, I noticed you never mentoned in this thread that you were heading to Genova. It appeared to be that you were going to the scenic coast. Genova is a big city with plenty of urban challenges, especially when it comes to mobility issues, that are well known to people who have been there.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

frencharmoire, please keep in mind that the rental (outside of Genoa to the east, but with a "Genoa" address) was reserved and paid for before DH injured his ankle, and we decided to make the best of the holiday. Perhaps I should have described the location exactly, but it did not matter for our original (or pre-trip revised) plans; and turned out to be of little matter as well for the brief time we were at the house.

We are not angry that other renters did not elaborate; we hold more accountable the rental owner who did not himself describe a negative feature that is apparent almost immediately.

If it matters, we managed a day in Genoa proper just fine. We of course did not see everything and DH rested quite frequently, but it all worked. We sunned, we swam, we ate seafood and laughed together as a family while in Italy; and we lucked out with two additional days in Tirol. For us, it was a great holiday.
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 02:20 PM

Honestly cannot figure out what you are trying to say, or why a "negative feature" is something that "ought" to be described when you yourself can't or won't describe it. It's just bewildering -- especially since you say the apartment was "exactly as described." You also say you are writing multiple letters of complaint. About what?
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Sigh. The house was exactly as described but was not COMPLETELY described.

While planning our holiday the owner responded in good order to the two emails I sent with questions. We raised the negative issue within a couple of hours on the first night and our message was ignored. When the housekeeper came to collect the keys, even she agreed that the issue was real. The owner knows that that disclosing the issue upfront would deter others from renting the property; a description of the missing information is what the one review letter to VRBO will contain (that the owner will see).
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 09:22 PM
kja

I trust that you know, fourfortravel, that you can ignore any questions posed to you here....
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 02:07 AM

Of course no one can make you describe what happened completely, but what if someone else ends up renting this place on the same basis you did? I thought the idea of doing trip reports was to help other travelers. Most landlords advertise in more than one place, not just VRBO. Or they'll switch to another platform if they can't present the apartment as they wish.

Just what is it that makes you reluctant to describe what the landlord didn't? Whatever it is, you seem to believe it is so bad no one would want the apartment. Doesn't that include people reading this website?

The attitude that you are "sigh" being put upon when asked to explain why you are certain other travelers would never want to rent this apartment is unjustified (totally). It's a natural question for other travelers to ask. You regretted that reviewers of that apartment were not more descriptive. Now you are doing the same -- and acting as if it's some kind of persecution when people ask you normal questions about an issue YOU brought up in the thread. Why do an "update" if you are going to leave out the most important fact for potential travelers?

I guess maybe some people think a travel forum is only like facebook "Hi got back safely, thought you'd all want to know. had a great time. DH managed fine. Pics to follow". Guess next poor sucker who rents that apartment is on their own. In for a surprise!
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 02:19 AM

kja,

who is the bad travel forum citizen here? Feel free to answer!
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 02:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Monterossa to Vernazza was not really hard as it was hot and you need to stay hydrated. I climbed Crough Patrick in the fall and that was hard. The surfaces on Cinque Terre are easy climbing. I didn't even have a stick. I am 62 btw.
Old Jun 26th, 2017, 02:51 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
As a hiker I found this an interesting question. The risk of aggravating the injury or hurting something else while compensating for the ankle and screwing up the vacation for others probably would have convinced me not to hike. Or maybe not.

I like your husband's spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -