Search

Maine in June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2017, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine in June

Hello Fodor Friends - Family of 4 traveling to Acadia in a couple of weeks. We are staying our first night in Oguinquit followed by 4 nights in Bar Harbor finishing off in Brattleboro, VT on the way home.

My husband and I went to Acadia about 15 years ago and I remember it was beautiful but can't recall specific trails. Any recommendations for must see trails/activities/sites? Our kids are 12 & 14 moderate hiking is fine. I'm sure we will visit Cadillac Mountain. Hesitant on whale watching as several of us tend to get sea sick. Also interested in good restaurants if you have suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 01:38 AM

Mike's Clam Shack on Rt 1 in Wells is a good family type restaurant near Ogunquit. Ignore fastest routes to Bar Harbor and take Rt 1 once you get to Brunswick. Then you can hike or take the auto road up Mt. Battie in Camden. I would aim for lunch at Claws in Rockland. It's a drive in type of place with covered porch looking out on industrial part of harbor but menu is more interesting than most family type of places. My husband still dreams about the lobster burger.

But it's been ages since we went to Bar Harbor. Hopefully Elberko and others will chime in about that area. Depending on when you're there you might see lupines blooming. They are just starting in our area of NH.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 02:49 PM

My information isn't the most recent, but it will give you a start:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...park-hikes.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...estaurants.cfm
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions dfrostnh and elberko.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 03:01 AM

If you are even a mile from the coast in June, watch out for black flies. Nasty little bugs that made bites that both itch and hurt. Always went for the soft spots behind my ears when I was in pigtails and I couldn't sleep on either side without suffering.
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 04:47 AM

Our favorite trail in Acadia National Park is Gorham Trail. You can pick it up on the loop road...it's about an hour or so up, not terribly difficult with 360 views around. I think the other of our faves is the Champlain Trail, also from the loop road. (If I remember correctly) But, definitely do the Gorham. You can climb up Cadillac Mountain, also not terribly difficult.

Also, hike up to Thuya Gardens in Northeast Harbor. (You can drive up, but the hike up gives you lovely views of the harbor, (and only takes about 10-15 minutes). Asticou Gardens are also in Northeast Harbor and worth a walk, very peaceful.

Plenty of coastal walking to be enjoyed, and plenty of outdoor fun experiences for your family....

Lots of restaurants in Bar Harbor. We always eat at the Bar Harbor Inn, outside, and watch the harbor life pass by. Great food, quieter than some of the Main St. BH restaurants, and not extraordinarily expensive. For a more rustic waterfront place, try Thurston's Lobster Pound in Bernard, also on Mt. Desert Island.

I once took a whale watch ride from Bar Harbor....got violently seasick. But my daughter was fine, so you'll have to decide on that one.

ANP is wonderful, you will enjoy it for sure, and the weather is set to improve! With all the wet weather we've been having, though, bring bug spray.

You may want to stop at Fort Knox on your way to/from Acadia.
http://fortknox.maineguide.com/
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

emalloy - any suggestions for dealing with the flies - long sleeves and pants I'm guessing to minimize exposed parts?

Calabria62 - thanks for your suggestions. I will look into Fort Knox sounds interesting.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 03:16 AM

familythattravels, long sleeves, and deet repellants. There is clothing from places like LLBean that reportedly repel insects too but I haven't tried it.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 08:10 AM

I would recommend renting bikes for a ride on the carriage roads. Nice rides without car traffic. Also we enjoyed renting kayaks for an interesting ride around the harbor area. Very protected so there were no waves but interesting scenery including seals and a cruise ship.
enjoy